Videogame News

View Poll Results: What is your favorite role?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carry

2 50.00%
  • Mid

2 50.00%
  • Semi-carry

1 25.00%
  • Offlane

1 25.00%
  • Support

3 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Threaded View

Favorite hero / role (dota2)

I thought this might be an interesting thing to ask. What is your favorite hero to play in DotA2, and also why do you like it. While I'm at it I will also make a poll to know which role people prefer playing!

I'm not sure I have the privileges to start a poll so the options will be here:
    1. Carry
    2. Mid
    3. Semi-carry
    4. Offlane
    5. Support

I will start with myself, I prefer the support role in competitive games but I will literally play anything, so I'll choose my favorite hero for each role!

1. Carry - Gyrocopter
    Okay so Gyrocopter is a really strong carry. There are three things you want to excel at when you play a carry. You want to:
    1. Farm a lot, and quickly
    2. Deal a lot of damage to the enemy team
    3. Never die

Three of Gyrocopter's skills are designed to answer 1 and 2, he does a ridiculous amount of area damage with Flak Cannon and Calldown, and his Rocket Barrage is awesome on single targets. The third point sometimes gets tricky and that's why I almost always build shadowblade and/or black king bar on him. Aside from that, he's pretty fun to play, has a funny voice, his attack animation is great for last hitting and he has above average movement speed (315).

2. Mid - Silencer
    I don't only like good heroes, Silencer is pretty much low-tier, but he has always been one of my favorites (even in dota1). I will talk later about level-dependent heroes and item-dependent heroes (in the offlane section) but Silencer is a peculiar case because one of his skills scales with his intelligence. He is mostly a level-dependent hero, but if he gets farms early, he will be a force to be reckoned with. The middle lane is a good spot for him to fill, he doesn't have a great ganking potential, but he does a lot of damage early!

3. Semi-carry - Nature's prophet
    NP is arguably the most powerful hero in the game right now. He has the ability to do everything, faster than most of the other heroes. He's a super good farmer, he pushes (even splitpushes) like no one, has mobility, disables, global presence and he has a beard. I've put him in the semi-carry role but he is a good offlaner too, he's really versatile.

4. Offlane - Dark Seer
    Another strong hero, if you ever watched dota tournaments, you'll probably notice he is almost always first ban/first pick, because he's such a great addition to the team. In the current laning strategies, I think the most popular one could be the 1-1-3 setup (a.k.a. trilane). The offlaner is then being sent to the hard lane (where the creeps are farthest from the allied tower) to fight, most likely, the enemy team's trilane.

This sounds like a huge task but the main goal of the offlaner is to "not die". That's why heroes considered good offlaners are heroes with escape mechanisms (ex: weaver and bounty hunter have an invisibility spell, or in this case, Dark Seer has Surge, which gives you max. movement speed). The downside of doing this is you won't get much gold (in some scenarios, none) because there is no way you will go last hit creeps when there's three heroes against you. That's why heroes considered good offlaners are heroes who are level-dependent (or farm-independent).

In this case I will take Lina for example. Lina is a level-dependent hero, and the reason is simple; she gets stronger with level rather than with items. Her main damage output is her spell, if not her only damage output, and items won't her much (aside of having maybe a bigger mana pool, but that won't make her spells do more damage). She really wants these levels fast, her first ultimate will just rip apart a lvl 4 support if she gets it quick.

In the offlane, you're not getting any gold, but you still get exp. from creeps when they die, and since you're alone your experience isn't split. That means you'll still have a level advantage but no items. That's where level-dependent heroes shine! (Lina is not a good offlane though... lol)

Dark Seer doesn't need items to be good, his skills are awesome in teamfights and a well-placed Wall of Replica can turn any bad situation into a winning situation. On top of that, you can play an Ion Shell on your creeps as they go fight to get free last hits while sitting safely at your tower, this guy is the king of offlanes.

5. Support - Rubick
    I kept the best for last, this little guy is my favorite. It's almost always a good idea to pick Rubick because aside of being a really strong support, it also means that he has the strengths of the enemy team. They picked Enigma to win teamfights? Well is that so if we also have blackhole? Rubick can get really tricky to play because you basically need to know every hero, what if you steal Visage's familiars, can you micro them? Do you know how Death Prophet's exorcism works? Rubick really brings a whole new level of play and he is by far the hero I like the most.

So, what is YOUR favorite hero?
    Last edited by Shokushu; 07-09-2013 at 02:04. Reason: typos everywhere