Videogame News

Neverwinter. Not Nights, not Icewind Dale. F2P from same co. as Torchlight 2

I had necro'ed a thread here thinking that this D&D game has been discussed for a while, but in reality it's a brand new offering.

Neverwinter is a free to play, but it seems to have some things going for it that aren't the norm.
    • Very high production values. Haven't seen a game this pretty since GuildWars.
    • Not precisely a "free" retread of an existing system like Dungeons & Dragons Online. PerfectWorld/Cryptic are already established, including Torchlight 2, so they're already swimming in the transaction-based market.
    • User-created module content is already deeply integrated in the game. I played through two just yesterday that were both fun and cute; one drew heavily from The Princess Bride and the other was an off-color Zombie bar filled with inside-baseball snark.

It's in open beta, so there's problems. I'm making tons of my own by not playing this through Windoze; I'm running it very successfully in Ubuntu through Wine, but every so often I'll cause a stack dump or something wacky through a mouse gesture.

One of the problems was that someone figured out how to use a negative integer bug to exploit the in-game auction house. Apparently they have solved this and did a rollback, but I have yet to be sure if the current characters are going to be preserved once the beta is finished.

Another of the problems is documentation and information. The user orientation is okay but very quick, leaving a fogey like me wondering exactly which key or combination is mapped where. I don't know if I can re-map, and can't figure out how to trigger one of my more useful secondary skills. In addition, there doesn't seem to be a unified orientation or Wiki yet, so for more advanced information you're stuck browsing through forum discussions or perusing walk-throughs. I had no idea that for my first toon, a battle cleric, I shouldn't go for max wisdom...

All that aside, it's certainly something I'm going to keep available. Something this caliber, **FREE**, is hard to beat.

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Re: Neverwinter. Not Nights, not Icewind Dale. F2P from same co. as Torchlight 2

That looks pretty interesting - you know that I'm a D&D geek. Is it based on 4th edition or 3rd?

I will probably try it later, but I'm currently busy with the Third Age mod of Medieval 2, as well as the Medieval 2 core game and PoE .
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

Re: Neverwinter. Not Nights, not Icewind Dale. F2P from same co. as Torchlight 2

I've heard it's 4th, but as I never played, I couldn't tell you for sure. The class and perk system don't resemble 2nd or 3rd Ed in any way that I can see.

I suspect it's a lot more like a retrofit/morph of Star Trek Online or City of Heroes (neither of which I've played) than actual D&D mechanics, and some comments in the forums seem to substantiate that. The currency system specifically is analogous to STO's, with Astral Crystals = Dilithium.

One somewhat enjoyable facet for the truly lame like myself is the crafting system. You find components in special containers which you have to open using either class skill or tool kits. You then hire a craftsman, and proceed to fabricate stuff in "real" time that can escalate in power as you develop that particular skill set. The resemblance to AD&D mechanics is cursory at best, but it's still not bad, plus you can do it from outside the game.

I suspect the best facet will "The Foundry", where users compose the content. I already ran through three user dungeons, one of which was German, almost completely unintelligible given my lack of translation skill, but was downright fun involving several goblin ambushes and ogre whacking.

IncGamers Member

not really from the same company as TL2

Runic Games does not equal Cryptic

Quote Originally Posted by jamesL View Post
    not really from the same company as TL2

Runic Games does not equal Cryptic
    Well, you can chop logic in larger or smaller ways. Both Cryptic and Runic are owned/published by PerfectWorld, but sure, one's an MMORPG while the other's an isometric tactical action game like {crowbar swing}.

So really it almost couldn't be the same collection of programmers & designers.