Videogame News

Hybrid View

The Secret World now buy to play.

The Secret World has dumped it's paid subscription model. You can now buy the game and play without a monthly fee, and have access to everything that is in the game currently, so if you were on the fence, now is the time to dive in. IMO, the monthly fee was the only thing keeping it from being a must buy. Fantastic game. A little buggy here and there, but otherwise pretty solid, and takes things in several new directions when it comes to MMOs. (Modern day setting, no classes, quests that are much more than "kill 10 giant rats") As of right now, it's $30 on steam.

They do have a membership plan, basically the old subscription model, which now has benefits such as bonus items and discounts and free points at the in game store (which is mostly cosmetic items currently). They will be releasing future content as DLC for around $5-$10 or so.

FYI, they are also doing what they call an ARG (Alternate Reality Game) right now themed around the 12/21/12 stuff. Basically its like blending real life and the game together a little. The community has a puzzle to solve (as well as several puzzles for individuals) and it involves things like hacking web sites, searching meta data, stenography, cryptography, and doing a lot of general research to figure out what's going on. You do get in game rewards for participating, but it's kinda fun even without the rewards. Here's a link to that if you want to check it out. http://situationroom.thesecretworld.com/

Re: The Secret World now buy to play.

I already bought it, the day this was announced on RPG reporter, and played little past the tutorial to Sheriff station. A dream for a build tweaker like me.

I've been looking for a free trial link everywhere, but can't find it. I'd rather test it out before buying it, but the link search engines give me always lead me to pages where the trial is not found. Any help?

There was one at one point, but it looks like the trial was done away with now that there is no subscription required. At least the price to buy it is on par with most single player games, so you're not out much if it turns out you really don't like it. IMO though, it's well worth the $30.

Thanks. Yes, it seems the trial is gone, but I have read that there is something called a "Buddy Key" that seems to serve a similar purpose. Any chance anyone around could provide me one? Maybe in exchange for some D3 loot?