Videogame News

Note about Guild Wars 2

If you pre-ordered in full, and participated in a beta weekend (or were eligible to) then you can probably play on August 25th.

Obviously you won't be able to tralala into gamestop in order to get the discs early, but if you've previously played the beta, you can use that very same client (albeit an update patch will be necessary).

This is a note I got from someone at anet:

The client that you download from https://account.guildwars2.com/download (or the client that you used in the previous Beta Weekend Event, if you participated in it) will be the same client that you will use when the game launches. The client will be patched between now and then in preparation for launch, so be sure to update it often to minimize the amount of files that you will have to download when the game does officially launch.
    Just thought I'd give a heads-up in case any of you have internet that is as total *** as mine.

Re: Note about Guild Wars 2

I'm playing Guild Wars 2 and I am absolutely amazed.

The game is wonderful and crushed all my expectations by surpassing them by a lot. Beautiful graphics (well optimized, btw), great music, great gameplay.

It looks like I'm never coming back to Diablo III. lol

I'll second that, though I'll still be playing D3 a bit, GW2 is amazing. I wasn't impressed by GW1 but this one is excellent. Of the 72 hours of Headstart, about 12 was taken up with server issues but I have still managed close to 40 hours of play time lol. Every time I think I'm going to log off I find something else to do...

I'm stunned at the reaction to GW2 (and everything Bioware makes, and Borderlands, and etc...).

Its just got nothing that hasn't been done before.

I guess maybe the game gets GREAT at high levels because its serious drudgery at lower levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    I'm stunned at the reaction to GW2 (and everything Bioware makes, and Borderlands, and etc...).

Its just got nothing that hasn't been done before.

I guess maybe the game gets GREAT at high levels because its serious drudgery at lower levels.
    Even great games can't please every player, I suppose. I think it does refresh the genre, specially for players who appreciate good art (graphics, UI design, etc), good music, balanced gameplay where high end game is not based on gear grind, but on skill (PvP specially). Guild Wars only requires grind for optional, cosmetic stuff (yet, players who like to grind will find their niche in Achievement lists and other stuff). It does a lot of things right. The dynamic events and world PvP are amazingly well implemented. No more need to 'take quest, take reward, go town to deposit items", etc. Town trips are very occasional and combat is happening all the time, the game does feel dynamic. World PvP is hectic, fun and in such a large scale I haven't seen before, not this well done.

I've played many games in my life, and if Guild Wars 2 managed to drop my jaw, I honestly think it has something special about it. It takes much to impress me, and this game did it. Often I enter areas in Guild Wars 2 that leave me wondering "man, this game totally humiliates Diablo III on every level" (although being better than Diablo III is not that hard of a task).

Incidentally, IncGamers' Guild Wars 2 review is now up

http://www.incgamers.com/2012/09/gui...war-in-heaven/
    Elly - Admin,
    Diablo: IncGamers on Twitter on You Tube on Facebook
    DiabloNut.Com (Diablo 3 database) - Blue Post Tracker - Diablo3Ladders.Com

New to Diablo 3? Read this great primer.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, you behaviour does.

Congratulations to the devs for their success.

I will try to keep playing. I hope to find the same experience everyone else is having.

Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    I've played many games in my life, and if Guild Wars 2 managed to drop my jaw, I honestly think it has something special about it. It takes much to impress me, and this game did it. Often I enter areas in Guild Wars 2 that leave me wondering "man, this game totally humiliates Diablo III on every level" (although being better than Diablo III is not that hard of a task).
    Thanks for sharing. I'd seen several reviews which essentially panned the game, one of which stated the same weaknesses that I found with the original...

beautiful gameplay... then starts to disappoint in PvE... then you fall in love PvP... then you get your arse whupped repeatedly... then you realize just how grindingly grindy PvE is... then you love the expansion "dungeons"... then you start finding them grindy... then you go back to PvP... then you get your arse whupped repeatedly AGAIN because the expansion severely unbalanced everything for the umpteenth time... then you realize just how dull PvE has become... then you love the NEW expansion gameplay changes... then you rapidly find out how pointless they are...

IncGamers Member

I used to play Diablo and WOW for a while. Is GW2 albo that great as Diablo?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by itsKate View Post
    I used to play Diablo and WOW for a while. Is GW2 albo that great as Diablo?
    Diablo franchise is Action RPG (sorta your typical dungeon crawler) while GW2 is MMO RPG (much like WoW.) Used to play WoW for a few years and after playing GW2 for the past 6 months, I feel completely satisfied with the buy.

PvM (leveling): Each gender get's their own voice over, and each character story until level 40 is completely different than any other. Each time you pick up and play, you'll experience different random events in the world and a different campaign story. Even better you don't have to battle for loot during these random world events, because everyone gets a share, so there is more fighting monsters than each other.

PvM (dungeon): They are tough to casuals like me, but if you're looking for a challenge then this is the place to go. Each dungeon reveals not just a new story that fits in with the area, but new gameplay mechanics with it. Few trash mobs mean more boss time, and believe me you will need it when going into a place for the first time. I've wiped so many times on dungeons and nearly went broke due to it all, but others have had better luck.

Community: Everyone is really friendly. There's no bantering, elitism is minimize, and everyone just keeps to themselves. It can feel dead at times, but I like the isolation because grouped friends keep me company. GW2 development team often frequents the forums. Director of content, gameplay, etc. all frequent the place and actually ask/answer questions and don't leave that generic PR friendly bull (it's even more offensive to players to treat them like children, take note game company management.)

PVP (regular): Everyone has the same level and same gear, regardless of what you have in Tyria (the world of GW2), which levels the playing field. Tons of maps. I'm talking about 6-7 different maps just for the regular PVP option, not even tournaments or world vs world, and it has siege weapons + custom weapons to pick up throughout each battle. It's typically "king of the hill" where you capture points, but in tournament mode it's more deathmatch and you get different set of maps.

PVP (world vs world): This is the bread and butter to cure my boredrom. I'd estimate 100 or so players on a map, from 3 different severs and across 4 maps, all battling for several strategic points on a 24/7 scale. You could log off for work, come back, and find the whole field has changed over the course of 8 or 9 hours alone. There is element of stealth, siege, positioning, and most importantly time which you have to consider. Community is so nice and will let you tag along for a zerging on fortress, ambush on supply train, or anything and all in the comfort of your socks and pajamas. WvW has breathed new life into GW2 for me.

Market & Price: The game is free to play after the initial $60, and is supported by aesthetic and slight-booster items which you can get with diamonds. You can buy diamonds using a $20 or so card, or exchange it using your in-game gold based on the stock-market. It also has an auction house which you can play around with. I used to love playing the auction house on WoW, but have yet to experiment with the GW2 "black lion trading" auction house, but hope to do so soon.

Patching: There is a constant slew of updates each week which asses minor bug fixes, and each month which includes content updates (free of charge!) and major bug fixes and, better yet, there is no down-time each week (like in WoW) for patching. Just close your client, patch, and then come right back on.

Support: Speaking of coming back, support team is really quick. The other day I was having issues changing my e-mail, so I made a ticket under Account Access Issues and they responded within the hour. They asked some personal information, and within a matter of a hour or two it was finished. As a veteran player of WoW, that is record timing as I could be leave the game for a day or two and the ticket would still be open. It's even worse on Steam as that could take weeks.

EDIT: Some things left out such as rate of content updates, support, and some of community which are now included.
    Last edited by CriminallyGenius; 08-02-2013 at 13:50.