Videogame News
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Clan Officer - US West Hardcore Muggs's Avatar

Re: Anyone looked at Guild Wars 2? Looks insane

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderBarin View Post
    This isn't GW2 Forum.

Oh, and GW2 is going to have minimal population/support after MoP comes out. Have fun with another "Blizz Killer", hah. ArenaNet is trying to cash grab on the people whining about Blizzard right now. They know that these same whiners will go back to playing D3/MoP/Sc2/SC1/D2 after a few months. This is what happened with every other Blizz Killer, no exceptions. EQ2, LOTRO, GW1, AOC, Rift, Aion, TQ, TL, HGL, WAR, SWTOR.

No exceptions.

But whiners are already ready to give their money to the next blizz killer. It's actually kinda hilarious.

Why does it have to be a blizz killer to be good? I am not sure anyone here called gw2 a wow killer and who cares honestly. You don't have to kill the 800lb gorilla to have a good game. The market is big enough that you can still take a small section of the market and be successful. Also GW had great support during all the expansions and was a fun game through out. Also it is not a true MMO there is no subscription for GW they make their money releasing expansions and that appeals to a lot of people who don't like sub based models.

Not everything is so black and white. It is like saying TL2 will suck because it won't beat D3 and that is just ludicrous since they are not even meant to truly compete but rather just take their respective place in the genre they occupy.

Clan Officer - US East Hardcore AlexanderBarin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
    Why does it have to be a blizz killer to be good? I am not sure anyone here called gw2 a wow killer and who cares honestly. You don't have to kill the 800lb gorilla to have a good game. The market is big enough that you can still take a small section of the market and be successful. Also GW had great support during all the expansions and was a fun game through out. Also it is not a true MMO there is no subscription for GW they make their money releasing expansions and that appeals to a lot of people who don't like sub based models.

Not everything is so black and white. It is like saying TL2 will suck because it won't beat D3 and that is just ludicrous since they are not even meant to truly compete but rather just take their respective place in the genre they occupy.
    Agreed, I'm mainly preemtively addressing the hysterical posts about people quitting WoW/D3 to go another game (while on WoW/D3 forums, heh), or just trashing WoW/D3 (on WoW/D3 forums), and claiming the other games will be better. Personally, I've enjoyed TQ for about 50 hours, and don't have any bad things to say about it. Is it better than D2/D3 though? Not a chance.

I also do still believe that many of the competing games are designed from the start to be a cash grab riding on hate campaigns against Blizz and Blizz games. I think that's pretty despicable.

Agreed, I'm mainly preemtively addressing the hysterical posts about people quitting WoW/D3 to go another game (while on WoW/D3 forums, heh), or just trashing WoW/D3 (on WoW/D3 forums), and claiming the other games will be better.
    Well can you blame em. It is like getting a new girl friend and thinking she is the best thing ever but later finding out she is a pig, leaves the cap off the toothpaste, and farts too much in bed. Everyone is always overly excited during the honeymoon phase.

I stopped doing this by playing 2-3 games at any given time. Keeps the burn out factor lower so when I get bored I can go and play something else and it also tends to keep me more even keeled since I am not so invested in one games success or failure. Even now I am playing D3 and 2 other games pretty consistently.

I also do still believe that many of the competing games are designed from the start to be a cash grab riding on hate campaigns against Blizz and Blizz games. I think that's pretty despicable.
    I am not sure they start out that way but they are rushed to recoup costs and wind up that way. I saw many a game that had so much potential just fall flat. HGL comes to mind I really wanted that game to be better.

Well can you blame em. It is like getting a new girl friend and thinking she is the best thing ever but later finding out she is a pig, leaves the cap off the toothpaste, and farts too much in bed.
    I don't think I can relate to that experience. Please elaborate

I want to believe that Guild Wars 2 will be the next best thing, but I think people underestimate the extent to which WoW players can amuse themselves doing seemingly mundane things. The thing about Guild Wars 2 is that you can access endgame gear much more easily than in WoW, but many people need that gear grind progression in order to justify spending any time with a game. Let me reiterate by saying that doing many of the grinding things in WoW was NOT fun, yet it was still very satisfying to me in a very psychological way.

The reason why I don't think GW2 will succeed is because it won't have as many of those incentives structures that WoW has. People actually liked doing things like thousands of repetitive Baal runs to 99, because while they're not really fun when you think about it, they give a sense of progression that emulates the desire to get better or move forward at something.

Quote Originally Posted by Simfish View Post
    I don't think I can relate to that experience. Please elaborate
    Just be patient as you get older and start dating you will encounter a weird/bad relationship or 10 depending on luck and ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagafen View Post
    GW1 was a really cool game, but it had no longevity. I kinda think I'm done buying games until a few months after release, I've been burned too many times (Aion, AoC, WAR, Rift and now D3) but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on GW2. I'm pretty much immune to the "this game looks great from the beta, whose sole purpose is to make the game look great at a glance!" guys by now, though. Heard the exact same thing with D3 and look how that turned out.

I do have faith in arena.net's ability to make a good game, but I also had faith in Blizzard. GW1 was a very well-made game and the gameplay was top quality, I just don't see how anyone could ever play it for more than two months. There was a campaign and then there was PvP, nothing else, and it completely lacked any aspect of character development.

I haven't had time to look into GW2's features. What's it like? Do they still have a very low level cap and no real gearing-up process? That's what made GW1 wear out too quickly for me. You were basically given the best possible gear while playing through the campaign, and then the only "endgame" was finding stuff with the same stats but rare skins. GW2 needs more longevity and depth in order to appeal to me. It doesn't need to be a grindfest, but if there's nothing for me to sink my teeth into and no long-term goals, I don't really want to invest any time and money.
    First i thought you weren't serious with this post as i have spent over 5000 hours in guild wars. But then i realized if you have no interest in pvp, what you are saying is true.

Guild wars 1 was an almost pure pvp game. Everyone had the same gear. Everyone did the same damage. It was a matter of player and team skill which made is so much fun. You could jump right in the pvp and not have to worry about other people outgearing you.

I have never had so much fun in any game before including diablo 2.
    Random arenas
    Team arenas
    Heroes ascent arena
    Guild battles
    Alliance battles.

Guildwars 1 had endless pvp and an endless amount of fun if you were interested in pvp. The pve however was probably not enough for most people. With a maxlevel of lvl 20 and most items just differ in skins.

Just be patient as you get older and start dating you will encounter a weird/bad relationship or 10 depending on luck and ability.
    So what you are really saying, is that women are like Act 3 loot? Sometimes you get a really nice 1000 DPS weapon, but other times you end up with Balor Treads?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Simfish View Post
    So what you are really saying, is that women are like Act 3 loot? Sometimes you get a really nice 1000 DPS weapon, but other times you end up with Balor Treads?
    Sounds about right :P

Darksiders 2...period..... they add Loot.......*LOOT*....

IncGamers Member

I thought we were all collectively over MMOs now. Is that not the case? Did I miss a memo?