Videogame News
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Clan Officer - US East Hardcore AlexanderBarin's Avatar

Re: Anyone looked at Guild Wars 2? Looks insane

Simfish, you're absolutely right, LoL beat DOTA and in fact all other Blizzard games if you count overall stats.

LoL is in its own genre, though, and I don't think that's a genre Blizzard wants to touch with a 10-foot stick, because it's so oversaturated already by monsters like LoL, HoN, Valve's DOTA and WC3's DOTA. Remember, Blizzard didn't create original DOTA, modders did. For same reason, Blizz won't enter a market like racing games, or horror survival games or FPS games. Blizzard has their 4 key franchises in 3 key markets - RTS, ARPG and MMO, and unless there is a clear entry into another market (there might be, with Titan), they won't budge from sure money makers. They already scrapped 2 games that were outside their "home" genres, remember? They are really careful about diversifying.

I'll honestly be ready to admit when a Blizzard killer game comes along. Honestly. Heck, not even a killer game. A game that takes an equal share from Blizzard, and isn't one of those weird asian games that noone else outside of Asia plays. But history shows, this is going to be tough. Every game that was a direct Blizzard competitior has a tiny player population in comparison with behemoths like WoW, D2, D3, WC3, SC2 and SC1.

Quote Originally Posted by Risingred View Post
    Or we just, y'know, want to play GW2? You could try a removal of cranium from anus.

I'm looking forward to GW2. Played through two of the beta weekends and I had a good time.
    I wasn't addressing you, or those who genuinely want to try the game. I was addressing the whiners, who will buy it as if to spite Blizzard, ya know, those with the need to post the next "D3 sux GW2 rox" thread on Diablo forums.

If we're comparing apples to apples within similar genres, then I agree that it's going to be very difficult to dethrone the current Blizzard titles from their market dominance. I have seen the hype with Rift and SWTOR; the spewing hatred from people who felt that they had had enough with "what WoW has become." People were very eloquent in their defense of those games, but in the end, WoW barely even suffered a dent. Hence, I am skeptical of any game with great hype and promise to do well in terms of player base numbers relative to the Blizzard titles, and will remain skeptical until the numbers and reviews post-release show me otherwise. Blizzard games have been the only ones I have purchased on release, but if other companies can step up and play ball, then I can only be pleasantly surprised!

That said, is it impossible to dethrone the current kings of games? Not at all. If some competitor were to come along and absolutely nail the profiting and marketing aspects of its product as Riot Games has done with its game, then the sky will truly be the limit. What should prospective competitors do? I wouldn't know, because I'm not a professional in game development, psychology, or marketing. What I do know is that up and coming developers absolutely need to nail it right in order to even hold a finger to Blizzard, whether it be in terms of how they set up their customer relationships or how they produce content. Not a whole lot of room for error either, as even the slightest criticisms can absolutely destroy a title and every bit of momentum it gained from the initial hype.

What I liked about Riot Games was the way they carried out their business. They didn't rely on initial hype or an explosive grand release. They proved over time that they were able to create a product that people cared about. I know someone who only started playing LoL about a month or two ago, and has already spent over a hundred dollars on the game. Make something good, and the people will come. Hopefully we'll see some serious players in the future, as they can only mean better things for gaming overall.

Clan Officer - US East Hardcore AlexanderBarin's Avatar

Those are all very fair points Simfish, I guess we'll see how it goes I think if LoL was an MMO or an ARPG in same relative popularity, I'd be totally playing right now, at least to see what the hype is about!

IncGamers Member

GW2 - has necromancer
    D3 - no (playable) necro

Edge: GW2

GW2 has potential but they completely ****ed up their graphics engine and optimization which means I'm not gonna buy it until they fix it (which imho they can't, since their engine is piece of ****).

Quote Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
    GW2 has potential but they completely ****ed up their graphics engine and optimization which means I'm not gonna buy it until they fix it (which imho they can't, since their engine is piece of ****).
    ...huh? I didn't have a single problem with performance.
    Anyway, these things are never optimized during a beta.

What are your computer specs? Obviously it works well on high-end computers but people with mid-range and low-end machines should stay the heck away from it.

IncGamers Member

Not sure how GW2 is going to perform but the few streams I watched of people playing that weekend beta went from enthusiastic character creation to silence and boredom. Especially if you watched Toby (Dota 2 caster) playing it and he is known to be talkative when he is having fun. He was so silent on that occasion.

IncGamers Member

I bought in to the hype and pre-purchased GW2 when it first became available. I played about 4 hours the first beta weekend, 10 minutes the second, and about 5 minutes during this past one. One of my most disappointing purchases ever.

If you think WoW graphics are cartoony/cheesy, GW2 is 10 times worse. The obligatory midget race and the tree people are something I might design if I was writing a fantasy spoof. The tree-person starting area looks pretty close to the joke unicorn level in D3. I'm not exaggerating. If you think D3 was made to appeal to WoW kids, GW2 is ten times worse as it was literally designed to steal WoW's playerbase.

If you think the elite mobs in D3 have cheesy fight mechanics, then, again, GW2 is 10 times worse with scripted sequences to knock you out of the fight so that a teammate has to help you back up.

The PvP I experienced was literally a joke. Remember the mindless zerg in old WoW Alterac Valley? That's all PvP is in this game, specifically in the big RvRvR battles.

The only time I had fun playing was when I rolled a bomb engineer with a friend, and we charged around after a ranger setting off bombs that hurt him/healed us. He just kept running and shooting us, and we just kept healing, chasing him all over the map. The stats/traits are set in that game so that battles are long and drawn out, and almost always end with the victor being whoever draws the fighting closer to the zerg of allies first. We chased him for 10 minutes just laughing as we set off bombs, testing to see whether we could actually kill him or he could kill one of us. Turns out no. never got him below half health and vice-versa as there are too many heal mechanics. And guess what, when you do manage to get some one down? They arent actually dead, they are "downed" and can still attack doing stupid cheap things like chucking rocks at you. WTF?

I also enjoyed creating a maroon tree-person that wore a bright white mini-skirt and a bright green garish-looking face mask. It looked ridiculous and was funny for about 20 seconds. I ran around trying to talk to the mindless people playing, who all just silently spammed their main attack at weak, unimaginative mobs over and over and over and over. Ugh. The fighting in D3 is repetitive, sure, but at least it's fast-paced.

The game is designed to appeal to WoW players who don't like the idea of a subscription pay model, and maybe dislike a few things here and there about WoW. If you don't like WoW at all, you won't like GW2. If you think gnomes and night elves are cute/funny, and you like the grind-based questing system supplemented by playing dressup with young, fresh-looking cartoon avatars... then I guess you might enjoy.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm really disappointed with my purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderBarin View Post
    Absolutely. Strike iron while it's hot.
    Smart people strike while the iron is hot.

Genius people make the iron hot by striking it