Videogame News
    IncGamers Member Frosty_The_Snowman's Avatar

Titan Quest / Immortal Throne

Hi !

About two months ago, I have bought a new computer and screen in preparation of the forthcoming D3. My previous computer was really old (2003) and couldn't match the requirements of modern games using 3D and physics calculations heavily. So with this new computer (and btw a brand new 16:9 23" screen), the question was : what game could I play waiting for D3 ?

I finally decided to give a try to Titan Quest and its expansion Immortal Throne. I have completed the normal difficulty with a Conjurer and ended at lvl 39. This game was enjoyable but not as much as Diablo II. Maybe I'm biased because I have played D2 a lot, but honestly, I haven't felt that fast-pace action that was a characteristic of a good hack'n'slash. Of course the graphics are truly amazing, really beautiful, nothing to say about that. Of course I was able to put all the details to max with my new computer, that helps for sure. At some point I was even asking to myself : could it be that D3 will be even more beautiful than Titan Quest ? I really hope so. Hard to tell with only screenshots and videos on YouTube.

So Titan Quest was enjoyable, but the action and the skills used were too repetitive : too much similar groups of monsters, always the same tactics with skills, large levels but boring to explore, very slow action compared to D2, even with increased attack speed and increased run/walk. I really hope D3 will have a faster action, especially for lower levels. The first levels of Titan Quest, when starting from scratch, were really a pain to play because of the slow movements of the character. Also, several things were clearly stolen from D2, like the arcane-sanctuary-like Hades palace at the end of the game. I don't intend to play the Epic and Legendary difficulty levels because of these points. Finally, my rating for this game is 14/20 with an overall good feeling thanks to the graphics and the mythology aspect.

...Still 19 days to go before the D3-Day !

IncGamers Member

Re: Titan Quest / Immortal Throne

I think your right it is slow and some builds are just not viable as they cannot get passed bosses.What I did like about titan quest was the skill and item system was interesting and intricate even if somewhat tedious(items) and unbalanced(skills).I found I'd build some characters to a certain level but then give up because it's just too slow going.Maybe this Grimdawn will iron out the negatives especially if theres lots of feed back from players.

As to D3 I think it is going to be even more varied combat wise than D2 despite what the nay sayers say.

Funny, in order to try something else for a change a friend of mine gave me Titan Quest to try and I haven't tried it yet. I have been playing Sacred (I ), it's so -so.

D3 Demon Hunter Moderator
    IncGamers Site Pal

Titan Quest had its flaws for me and definately did not beat DII, but I can honestly say I find it the best DII-based game ever. I thoroughly enjoyed it and still play from time to time when I feel like it.

- Snow
    When people tell me "plz" just because it's shorter than 'please', I feel perfectly justified to answer 'No' because it's shorter than 'Yes'.
    And the Lord said unto Carl: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'. But Carl came fifth and won a toaster.

IncGamers Member Frosty_The_Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snowieken View Post
    Titan Quest had its flaws for me and definately did not beat DII, but I can honestly say I find it the best DII-based game ever. I thoroughly enjoyed it and still play from time to time when I feel like it.
    Yes finally I'm still playing and rushing through the Epic difficulty like a hot knife through butter, just like it was in D2, usually NM was much easier than Normal. Legendary will be the true challenge, or maybe later Epic acts.