Videogame News
    IncGamers Site Pal

Elder Scrolls Beta weekend

Anyone else trying it this weekend?

Re: Elder Scrolls Beta weekend

I tried it. Rolled a high elf sorc, and it was quite fun. The combat didn't seem quite as fluid as in Skyrim, but it was differentiated enough from MMO's like WoW, Rift or SWTOR to feel like a TES game.

Crafting seemed very fun, although somewhat confusing given the limited time I spent on it. I loved that fact that you have all crafts available to you, although it takes a few skill points to make it worthwile. Some things could've been explained a bit better though. Also noticed a research thing that took 6 hours to complete 1 line of research. Granted it looked like something that would be usable for all your crafting (at least from a given profession), and not just for that specific item type. So I guess the time is reasonable if that's how it works. Didn't test to see if it kept researching when logged out.

The skills seemed a bit lacking imo. Very litt variaty, but again I only reached lvl 8, and from what I read and gathered from in game, poking around in menus and stuff, it will open up a lot at lvl 15. It allows to carry a secondary weapon on hotswap, and it comes with it's own set of skill slots. With that said, the utlimate abilility I tried felt really lackluster (storm atronach).

On skill progression, I really liked how you can upgrade skills to have new/stronger effects, and for summoned pets change the visuals and abilities of the pets. I missed being able to give my pet commands, as it was slow to react when I entered combat. I did miss the ability to see how a skill improved when it leveled up, as that happened automatically, and keeping track of exactly what everything did just wasn't something I bothered with.

The chat windows/options felt lacking, and the zone text color was absolutely horrible! Didn't really spend a lot of time looking for ways to change it, so that might be a solution. The quest marker took a bit getting used to, but did a reasonable job, especially when combined with some glances at the map.

I encountered a few bugs. The game crashed to desktop on loading once, although a nice window for reporting it popped up immidietly, making it very easy to report. Another bug was a quest which was compeletely stuck, and it seemed like it was for progressing a rather interesting story, which was unfortunate. It was stuck for everyone on the server as far as I could tell. Another very frequent bug was UI getting stuck, or not being able to exit conversations. Easy fix with /realoadui but with the frequency it happened, it turned into quite a nuisance. That bug seemed to happen less if you exited conversations/windows with the alt key rather than the esc key. Didn't really notice much more than that, which for a beta I guess is not that bad.

Overall impression was a fun although sort of slow progress. The quests were mostly quite interesting, voice acting was good for the most part, graphics were beautiful for a MMO, but the items felt a bit lackluster. I didn't really feel like I got that much imrpovement out of the gear aside from new weapons. It felt less rewarding than from my time playing Rift. I missed being able to dive though, as I had hoped for some really cool underwater areas, with some skills or potions to help breath. They definitely could've done a lot of cool stuff with that. Oh and the sense of exploration became quie stunted with the inability to swim where you wanted. This might be changed for release though, when all areas are available for us to visit.
    Unofficial Incgamers Clan - The Red One

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    so is Bieber pointless or just women in general?

IncGamers Site Pal

strange but what you just said its pretty much exactly how I felt about the game the fact I didn't bother with the 2nd beta weekend even though I didn't have anything better to do probably says more though

Yea I didn't play the 2nd beta either, but for me it was mostly due to getting hooked on D3 patch 2.0. I think the main reason I'm not feeling the urge to play ESO is mostly tied to the really slow progression. For a simple beta weekend, only being able to reach lvl 8 with several hours of play seemed a tad bit on the slow side of things. Although that could quite likely be due to the quest marker being difficult to adjust to, the frequent UI lockups, and exploring the all the buildings, and taking a look at crafting stuff. Mostly though some of the holdups was due to quest marker, where on a couple of occasions I struggled for 15-20 minutes just to figure out where I was supposed to go, and me just aimlessly walking around picking up crafting mats, which I did in the last two TES games as well. But with all that said, considering the time investment to get a decent test of the game going, I would rather spend that on something else, and wait for reviews to be out. And also I'm pretty sure the feeling of wasting time on slow progression won't be as strong, if even present at all when the game launches, because I know my progress won't be wiped.
    Unofficial Incgamers Clan - The Red One

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    so is Bieber pointless or just women in general?

IncGamers Member

Such a terrible game. Not worth the money.