Videogame News

The Old Republic - am I alone?

I feel conflicted about this game.

One one hand I admire their refusing to bend and make a game that is even remotely different from wow, while still failing to meet the WoW standard at release in 2003.

I know that I see the gaming industry far more differently than most. But, while I never hope anything fails in PC Gaming, if this succeeds, MMORPGs will be set back a decade. They've already become unplayably bland.

Okay, that said, I understand I am a minority in not finding Bioware to be the greatest company that ever existed.

Last edited by Zarniwoop; 04-04-2012 at 14:50.

Re: The Old Republic - am I alone?

I played the beta and it was an easy decision not to buy the game. I wonder what is the state of the game now -- is it in any danger of actually succeeding?

IncGamers Site Pal
    Diablo 3 Beta Tester

Same feelings I have about Tera, and previously Aion.

Tera had so much potential with the combat system but they simplified it beyond any hope of finding a customer in me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas S View Post
    I played the beta and it was an easy decision not to buy the game. I wonder what is the state of the game now -- is it in any danger of actually succeeding?
    Its that stupid Bioware "we'll replace actual gameplay with sitting around and watching TV" trick. The average gamer appears to just love it. The problem is that after playing it online for a while, you just start slamming the space bar because they are all just variations on about 9 themes.

I feel terrible even saying this, but in my heart of hearts, part of me hopes this game fails. I doubt even that will fix the blandness in MMOs however. The lesson the idiots that run gaming publishers will take is that MMOs don't sell and they should make more Sims games.

just wait for GW2 ..... but as the release date is after D3īs... well, i guess i wont be able to play it

Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    just wait for GW2 ..... but as the release date is after D3īs... well, i guess i wont be able to play it
    haha, I'm with ya.

IncGamers Member

In a word, no. I was enthusiastic about the game to begin with, but within a month I had lost my motivation to play and I haven't logged in since. The game is, IMO, very linear and outright boring to play in the long run. It's sad, because the game had much potential, but it seems clear EA only wanted to do WoW 2 and failed in the process. If they had tried, just a little, to actually do something unique and different, I'm sure the end result would been much better.

I'm sure there are a plethora of better games in the MMO market. I, for one, very much like FFXIV.

IncGamers Member

Played and found it pretty enjoyable for a while. Made it to 46 on a Juggernaut. The dialogues were a great innovation, but other than that the game started getting repetitive towards the high end. If I hadn't played so much World of WarCraft before trying SWTOR, I would probably have lasted much longer.