Videogame News

Hybrid View

IncGamers Member

Dungeon Defenders

Just recently got into this.For some reason it didn't appeal to me a while back when I tried but I gave it another go.

Anyway it's basically a Multiplayer Co-op Tower defence game if you don't know.It's quite a fun game reminds me of Battlezone 2 with everyone able to work independently but at the same time co-operatively(everyone lays there own tower defences).Unlike most TD games your not soley dependendant on your traps/towers as you have can go out with your avatar and kill the enemy in fact you can outkill your towers depending on how you level up your avatar.You also get different classes and each class has there own tower defences types.You can actually interact with other players towers either repairing them or upgrading them.I recommend the PC version over the handhelds as it has a closed server mode so no cheaters.

Re: Dungeon Defenders

Tried it but its very slow, strange controls...I prefer Orcs Must Die!

IncGamers Member

Not sure what you mean by 'very slow' but it certainly gets frantic enough,various aspects can get faster through levelling anyway.Levels get steadily more intense as you go through the maps and then again through each of the 4 difficulties.I believe also on Multiplayer enemy density increases.As to the control like any other game you get use to it till it's second nature(I've played games with far fiddlier game controls).

The levelling up system is varied enough to give a lot of gameplay depth so not everyones towers or heroes will be the same.I'm just trying to do a balanced hero for now till learn more of the game then I might make a new one based on knowledge I've built up.

This is a pretty awesome game. Me and Skjolde here on the forums played it quite a bit, and both reached almost maxed lvl. I believe max was 74, but after 70 the lvling curve just shoots through the roof!

As for making the actualy characters. When playing alone going for a pure tower character would be the strongest. While you can techincally beat quite a few maps on easiest difficulty with a pure dps character (IE not using towers for damage, but your actual weapons), it becomes almost impossible to complete maps.

The game pace doesn't really increase that much throughout the different difficulties, but you face more and stronger enemies, which requires you to run around and repair/upgrade your defences a whole lot more! So the pace feels like it's increased in a sense, and definately becomes more frantic like kavlor said.

The different classes are quite fun and unique. I can't recall all the names, but you have the mage/wizard that primarily focus on ranged towers, has a basic wall that can become quite strong and durable. You also get a staff that can fire a single bolt or multiple bolts (depending on weapon stats), and who can use an aoe dmg and knockback secondary attack. The squire that has more close ranged/melee type defences, a very strong wall that damages any melee opponent that hits it or tries to "walk through" the wall. Uses a sword to fight in melee range. The huntress who uses traps for defences to blow up, slow, poison (IIRC) or stun enemies. She uses a ranged weapons like a crossbow and I believe musket type weapon IIRC. Then there's the barbarian who's a pure fighter character and don't really get any walls or defensive towers. Some classes also have a mirror class that's basically has all the same towers, but some difference in active abilities. For instances the two mages skills where one can activate a buff to decrease upgrade or repair time on towers or the other who can instantly upgrade any tower. That last skill is quite handy for hard hitting enemies where repairing might not always be enough to get you through a round. Use the instant upgrade ability on a tower or wall, and it will recover all its health.

The game really shines in mutliplayer having a couple different classes. Like using the squires wall, the mages towers, the monks debuff/buff fields, and having a dps class to just run around causing meyham!

If you have 2-4 friends who want to try out this game, and you like tower defence like games with the option of going toe to toe with enemies, this game is definately worth a look.

The one weak point imo is that the higher difficulties are next to impossible to complete with at least a couple different characters at close to max lvl. Having decent gear isn't even needed, but the different towers and traps are supposedly needed from what me and Skjolde gathered reading forums and guides. In other words not as fun to try and progress in solo. Also the progression is kinda strange, since it's not always beneficial to start on the first map in order to farm items, and some of the earlier maps are actually more difficult than the later ones, even on the same difficulty. This only applies to next highest or third highest difficulty though.

Unofficial Incgamers Clan - The Red One

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    so is Bieber pointless or just women in general?