Videogame News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baldur's Gate... Signs of Life.

A Baldur's Gate teaser site has sprung up late February 2012. The time seems to be right for top down/isometric rpgs. I'm personally very excited to see life come back to this franchise. Baldur's Gate I & II are still among my list of favorite games. Rich character creation (I would really like to see what an updated Half-Ogre would look like), deep story, and the game was quite difficult. The game is apparently going to be created by Beamdog and they have been meeting with Wizards of the Coast, Atari, and NVIDIA. I'm really hoping that we get a game that feels like the original series with a locked isometric view similar to D3 (scrolling to zoom in is a nifty option), but with all the amenities of updated graphics and fresh ideas. Whatever this new game is... as long as the multiplayer finally works correctly without crashing, I'll be a happy gamer.

Re: Baldur's Gate... Signs of Life.

I have to say, i'm hyped for a new BG! Recently i have played through BG2 with my friend and it was a loooot of fun.

Hopefully they manage to get the rights for D&D, and make the Baldurs gate III: The Black Hound come to life. I don't want to complain about this, but i just couldn't get into the latest Bioware RPG's. I think the last game of their i geniuenly enjoyed was IWD2 and NWN (that editor...). If the new installment (or even remake, i won't mind a remake of those games, since they weren't perfect. I actually found some interesting bugs in my last multiplayer playthrough - for some reason game made infinite duplicates of npc's met in game ) is true to it's series with deep tactical combat, engaging storyline with looooads of text and great world, then i couldn't be more happy.

On the subject of infinity based games, there is a chance of community funded new game in the Planescape series. Now for that i'm willing to support wholeheartedly. Planescape: Torment was one of my favorite games of all times. Best story ever. That and Deus Ex.

Double post i know.

http://baldursgate.com/

Something is in the air... Can't wait!

***EDIT***

Last edited by ElBozo; 15-03-2012 at 20:07.

D3 Demon Hunter Moderator
    IncGamers Site Pal

At first I was like "oh", but now I realize I am actually anticipating an enhanced version of BG and BG II certainly as hard as I would a new title in the series. The danger of making BG III is that it should be able to follow the footsteps of its prequels.

Quote Originally Posted by snowieken View Post
    At first I was like "oh", but now I realize I am actually anticipating an enhanced version of BG and BG II certainly as hard as I would a new title in the series. The danger of making BG III is that it should be able to follow the footsteps of its prequels.
    That and 4th edition D&D rule set, which if reports are correct, is pretty crap.

I wonder how Beamdog will approach the Enhanced Editions though... Same D&D rulesets? Different Camera Perspective? 3d or detailed 2d? I hope i'm pleasently suprised though. And i hope they fix the duplicating npc in multiplayer bug - that's for sure!

Jesus Christ so many good news for games today! First D3 release date announced and now this?!! I'm all in for it!

Being a long time fan of BG series. This is one of the best classic RPG of all time. I can't wait to see this "enhance edition" will bring to us fellow D&D nerds.

I completely share your guys' enthusiasm for a new D&D title. Its been far too long.

I believe BG:EE graphics are going to be more like detailed 2D. The game rules are going to be set in the 2nd Edition, which is fantastic... I love the negative numbered armor class. Also the game is going to feature "new, original content" made by some of the original team members and the Beamdog reps stress the point that the game is an Enhanced Edition, not a repackage. There are all new characters to recruit. The co-op is getting a complete overhaul which might be the best news out of all of this. I always wanted to co-op BG but I never could because of how glitchy the old multiplayer was.

What the new multiplayer is going to look like, I don't know, but I think the biggest favor this game could do us is to connect the fan base with a functioning multiplayer matchmaking system.

They are planning to release new information about the game every week. I believe I saw somewhere that next week we'll get some screenshots. BG:EE is supposed to be released this summer with BG2:EE coming sometime after.

Kudos to Beamdog for sharing this news with us on the same day as the Diablo 3 release announcement. RPG heaven! Way off topic... but who only knows whats going on over at Runic Games with Torchlight 2. News on that game is nonexistent.

IncGamers Site Pal
    Diablo 3 Beta Tester

As long as it's not based on the 4th edition ruleset, I will be happy.

4th edition is really balanced and will make for some great combat, but you shouldn't be able to kill everything at level 2.

Quote Originally Posted by ElBozo View Post
    That and 4th edition D&D rule set, which if reports are correct, is pretty crap.
    Huge fan of BG (although PS:Torment > all). I'm absolutely terrified that "enhanced" will also mean "4E". If that's the case I will have to pass on this one.

My friends and I have played D&D 4E. Our thoughts about it aren't fit for polite company. /nerd_rage

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzer View Post
    As long as it's not based on the 4th edition ruleset, I will be happy.

4th edition is really balanced and will make for some great combat, but you shouldn't be able to kill everything at level 2.
    To help you guys out, it is using the 2nd Edition rules

They plan to add more content as well as some new chars and voice overs as well as updates to the infinity engine. This is being developed by the original people who developed BG

Check out http://www.beamdog.com/forum for more info guys! Its pretty slick!