Videogame News
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Skyrim Approaches; Leaks abound...

Found a werewolf, and he's a companion!

So far, looks like companions are basically like summons, but permanent and you can talk to them. They just follow you around and kill stuff. Aside from certain quests, you don't actually have to have them follow you. You can also use them as pack mules. Basically they work like they do in New Vegas.

Think I'll go solo as much as possible though. I like my AOEs, and those don't usually mix well with followers.

Can you tell them to go to hell?

I want to play with a companion like I want a hole in my head. Jesus, I don't even want to buy this game now.

Ritual stone power is pretty awesome. Way different from Oblivion. Very handy in boss fights where they have a lot of minions or places where you get into trouble because you're too outnumbered. First you kill off the minions, activate the power which has a fantastic animation IMO, and then watch all those minions rise from the dead to fight for you against the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop
    Can you tell them to go to hell?

I want to play with a companion like I want a hole in my head. Jesus, I don't even want to buy this game now.
    You are determined not to like this game, aren't you.

Yes you can tell your companions to go away, except for the quests where they are involved.

Absolutely not.

I'm determined that one day I will play this game and really enjoy it. It just may take a lot of modding work to get there.

I'll be the happiest idiot alive if I load it up first time and think "wow, I was totally wrong, this is brilliant".

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    I'll be the happiest idiot alive if I load it up first time and think "wow, I was totally wrong, this is brilliant".
    Yeah that's not going to happen. Game has the worst interface I've seen in a very, very long time. That's the first thing you'll notice.
    You can't use the ****ing mouse! On the interface! And it isn't even better with a controller.

I played it for a few hours for work and goddamn it felt like punishment. And beyond that, it's basically the same thing as oblivion. If you liked modded oblivion, you'll probably like modded skyrim...if someone can completely overhaul the entirety of the hideously bad interface.

You can use the mouse on the interface. It helps to turn the sensitivity all the way up. Don't know why they thought it a good idea to make the mouse so slow, but once you do that it's usable.

I'm not able to use the mouse in most of the interface. Sometimes you can, sometimes you cannot. It's kind of ridiculous that it isn't an all-or-nothing scenario, which just makes it that much more confusing and counter-intuitive.

What you're describing is called "mouse acceleration" and is often implemented into games that are ported to the PC from console, like Skyrim, to accommodate the lack of accuracy of a joystick as compared to a mouse. It's generally reviled by gamers but companies keep on putting it in anyway.

I just got this yesterday, and from what I've seen so far, its great.

I actually like the keyboard heavy interface. Makes it much faster to navigate.
    IDK what the complaints about the mouse are for. Its working fine here...

BTW, I almost perfectly recreated that scene from the Skyrim trailer(the one where the dragon chases him to the edge of a cliff).
    Only difference was I was a dual wielding Khajith and the dragon made me a tasty order or McKat.
    (lvl 7 at that point)

Did you reproduce that part of the trailer where it bugged out and two dragons spawned in the middle of a giant/mammoth camp and permanently killed your follower?

Haven't seen that one, but I did see a giant bring his club down on a bandit, which subsequently launched said bandit into the stratosphere.