Videogame News
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    IncGamers Member

Re: Old Republic? You goingto play it.

I'm currently lvl 31 and I'll have to admit I'm getting kind of bored. I've been playing FFXIV on the side and I feel more and more drawn to it. Aside for some really annoying bugs, there are several things that I feel could have been a lot better:

1. Crafting: Simply put, crafting is more or less moot unless you do Biochem and even that might not be useful for much longer since they nerfed it twice already if I'm not mistaken. There is no skill and very little discovery in the crafting system. It's very much "buy the recipe, click this, get that". Done. Boring.

2. Linearity: I enjoyed the beta and was prepared for a linear experience in the beginning. But boy does it get tedious! I feel I have no real choice, but always have to go in the direction the devs want me to and when it feels very forced, I don't like it.

3. Leveling: I'm not a fan of super grinding and that's what made me give up FFXI many years ago, but in SW:TOR everything is the opposite. I like to do everything when I play a game, but trying to complete all quests on a planet is becoming a chore, because I essentially outlevel a lot of quests before I have a chance to do them, meaning I get no meaningful reward. I realize the devs probably want to attract casuals by making level grinding non-existant, but for me it actually ruins part of the experience I want.

Now, I do think the game is enjoyable and I'm usually having fun when playing it, but as I said, I'm getting more and more drawn into FFXIV, which I really wasn't expecting. I also like that the devs of FFXIV are very much in touch with the community. This is likely due to the fact that FFXIV was a huge mess when it was initally released and Square Enix need to make sure they do their best to keep whatever community they still have. It's also less burdening since the community is a lot smaller when compared to SW:TOR and, dare I say, much more mature in general.

Anyway, I already paid for another 2 months and I'll stick around until then, but right now I'm thinking of cancelling after that since I don't feel there will be enough to keep me entertained. Especially with the FFXIV 2.0 launch closing in fast...

Last edited by Emphrygian; 15-02-2012 at 16:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Emphrygian View Post
    1. Crafting: Simply put, crafting is more or less moot unless you do Biotech and even that might not be useful for much longer since they nerfed it twice already if I'm not mistaken. There is no skill and very little discovery in the crafting system. It's very much "buy the recipe, click this, get that". Done. Boring.
    I partially agree with this. Some crafting choices are more interesting than others though. I can't recall exactly which crafts, but I'll try and explain as best as possible.

When you craft there are basically 2 sets of rules, or 2 paths in which the crafting can go. 1 is the linear path. Craft items, improve, buy new recipes, craft more. The items won't change, apart from getting +1-+2 stats or so by reverse engineering. These items are usually items with a name that isn't very unique. The armoring and mods from a... damn I can't even remember the name, and I got that crafting maxed out. Anyway the crafting profession that makes the armoring items and mods for orange armor, as well as grenades, speeder bikes, ship parts etc. The name on the mods could be something like 22b force armoring. The next up would be 23b force armoring etc. The name never changes, it's not unique, thus you will not find any new recipes from reverse engineering.

However the earpieces you can craft with said profession has unique names, and can also discover new stats when reverse engineering from green to blue, and again new stats from blue to purple. I believe the first reverse engineering attempt can produce 3 differnt stats (one per recipe discovered), and another 5 when going from blue to purple. On top of this, the normal stats will increase a little as well. This means you can potentinally discover a lot of new recipes from a single bought recipe. I believe it was somewhere around 20 new recipes per basic recipe you buy.

So for some professions, the crafting has quite a bit of debth to it, but the stats and whatnot isn't great enought to replace even gear from daily missions at 50. Only exception might be a crafted orange armor with another slot (critical craft). That slot can only be filled with items from slicing. And on top of that, you'll need the best purple mods, armoring and enhancements in it to MAYBE be able to compare with the daily armorings and mods you get at 50, which is 1 tier higher than what can be crafted.

That was at least the state last time I played. So yes the crafting is moot, but it's not as shallow as many people believe.

Unofficial Incgamers Clan - The Red One

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    so is Bieber pointless or just women in general?

IncGamers Member

Yes, crafting blue/purple items is a bit more involved than I made it sound like, but it's very random. I haven't decided if I like the idea or not, but just thinking of how many of item X one would possibly have to reverse engineer* (if you're unlucky) in order to get that "best" purple modifier makes me cringe. Since the game (AFAIK) does not skip to another recipe if you already have the one you're awarded upon a successful reverse engineering attempt you can actually keep going more or less forever. That's one way to keep players playing, but I think there are better ways to do this.

*As a small numerical example, using number I've made up myself, as I have no idea what the odds are in the code, let's say you want that special purple version with a specific mod. You then have, say, a 10% base chance of a succesful reverse engineer. That will in turn generate a blue recipe with a 1/3 chance of being the parent of the purple mod you want. You then craft the blue item and, again, have a 10% chance in reverse engineering it and upon a succesful attempt, you stand a 20% chance of the generated recipe being the one you're after. That adds up to: 1/10*1/3*1/10*1/5 = 0.0006667 = 0.06667% chance of succeeding in one go. Seeing how this is a Diablo forum, we're used to bad odds when item farming, but to me the difference is there is some kind of enjoyment to be had even when doing boss runs. Crafting in SW:ToR is just clicking, which gets old. Fast. And I think I've been generous with the odds of a succesful RE attempt, although to me, it seems to be somewhat level dependent.

P.S. I'm not bashing the game. As I said, I do enjoy it, but at the same time I cannot help but feel that there are several things that are underdeveloped, likely because of EA pushing hard for a holiday 2011 release. The crafting system is one of them, which I think is a shame. PvP is another, although little PvP is better than none at all (AKA FFXI/FFXIV).

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by korialstraz View Post
    So for some professions, the crafting has quite a bit of debth to it, but the stats and whatnot isn't great enought to replace even gear from daily missions at 50. Only exception might be a crafted orange armor with another slot (critical craft). That slot can only be filled with items from slicing. And on top of that, you'll need the best purple mods, armoring and enhancements in it to MAYBE be able to compare with the daily armorings and mods you get at 50, which is 1 tier higher than what can be crafted.
    With my numerical example above fresh in mind, this is exactly the problem. REing 750 base items will yield approximately 50% chance of generating the exact recipe you want. Gathering all the mats for that will take a long time or cost a lot of money, yet you can get better gear by doing a few daily missions and therefore it's hardly worth it. For the sake of the longevity of the game, let's hope they improve crafting going forward. It does worry me though, that instead of boosting other professions, they have nerfed Biochem twice already. If that's their balancing strategy, I think they will have a tough time keeping subscribers.

Yes, crafting blue/purple items is a bit more involved than I made it sound like, but it's very random. I haven't decided if I like the idea or not, but just thinking of how many of item X one would possibly have to reverse engineer* (if you're unlucky) in order to get that "best" purple modifier makes me cringe. Since the game (AFAIK) does not skip to another recipe if you already have the one you're awarded upon a successful reverse engineering attempt you can actually keep going more or less forever. That's one way to keep players playing, but I think there are better ways to do this.
    I have to agree that stuff like this is not the best way to keep people around. Especially considering most crafting professions are crap. And since mostly biochem is (was?) usefull, it just makes it even worse. And that's when we don't consider that biochem's crafting recipes are mostly consisting of the type that only has 1 recipe to be learned per RE. Or two if you count green->blue->purple. Which is nothing compared to the some 20 odd recipes you can get otherwise going from green to purple.

*As a small numerical example, using number I've made up myself, as I have no idea what the odds are in the code, let's say you want that special purple version with a specific mod. You then have, say, a 10% base chance of a succesful reverse engineer. That will in turn generate a blue recipe with a 1/3 chance of being the parent of the purple mod you want. You then craft the blue item and, again, have a 10% chance in reverse engineering it and upon a succesful attempt, you stand a 20% chance of the generated recipe being the one you're after. That adds up to: 1/10*1/3*1/10*1/5 = 0.0006667 = 0.06667% chance of succeeding in one go. Seeing how this is a Diablo forum, we're used to bad odds when item farming, but to me the difference is there is some kind of enjoyment to be had even when doing boss runs. Crafting in SW:ToR is just clicking, which gets old. Fast. And I think I've been generous with the odds of a succesful RE attempt, although to me, it seems to be somewhat level dependent.
    I think the chances from green to blue is slightly higher. Only very rarely did I use more than 10 attempts to get a recipe, most of the time I managed to get a recipe within 5 attempts. Only once did I try upwards of 30+ times before succeeding. And I had quite a few purple recipes, and even more blue ones. However going from blue to purple seemed quite a bit worse.

P.S. I'm not bashing the game. As I said, I do enjoy it, but at the same time I cannot help but feel that there are several things that are underdeveloped, likely because of EA pushing hard for a holiday 2011 release. The crafting system is one of them, which I think is a shame. PvP is another, although little PvP is better than none at all (AKA FFXI/FFXIV).
    I agree with everything. Parts of the game feels kinda rushed, while other parts are really awesome. They could've done a better job at crafting, pvp and space combat, as well as guild functionality.

With my numerical example above fresh in mind, this is exactly the problem. REing 750 base items will yield approximately 50% chance of generating the exact recipe you want. Gathering all the mats for that will take a long time or cost a lot of money, yet you can get better gear by doing a few daily missions and therefore it's hardly worth it. For the sake of the longevity of the game, let's hope they improve crafting going forward. It does worry me though, that instead of boosting other professions, they have nerfed Biochem twice already. If that's their balancing strategy, I think they will have a tough time keeping subscribers.
    Gathering the mats (especially for some of the higher lvl mats) isn't even an option unless you're the luckiest man on earth. I'm not quite sure, but isn't it possible to RE purple items as well? And in my case one of the purple mats needed was mandalorian iron. I believe I found about 8-10 of those after 3 days of sending 4 of my crews out on missions constantly while playing. And I think I'm even being a bit generous here, since you don't always get to send the companions out looking for iron. Btw I used cybertech (just recalled the name). It was fun to lvl up, and I do get some use out of getting purple lower lvl armoring and mods for alts. That's about it though. That and crafting an expensive speeder that requires a lot of mandalorian iron.

Now that its been out for a while, how do you all feel?

I quit at level 30 and cancelled.

Got my Juggernaut to max lvl, a sorc thingy (the caster) to some odd 40 lvls or so (mainly pvp), and a few other alts here and there. But quit since all of my friends did the same. Also too many things ruining end game (imo). For instance not being able to get loot from the loot chest in dungeons if you died, crappy crafting (to the point where daily max lvl missions could buy better items), uninteresting space combat, poor guild functionality, bugged quests in general and bad support. The support thing might just be being unlucky, but I had troubles submiting the ticket, and a couple days later all my attempts showed up as tickets (although some with bugged ticket numbers). Then a day or so later I got an automated reply in French, and a bit later the same I think in English. And when I finally got to talk to someone, he said they'd look into the issue, but never heard from them again. So eventually just aborted the heroic mission, or whatever they called it, and told them to just not bother.

Haven't tried since, although if they managed to implement a lot of what they talked about, like being able to build guild capital ships and whatnot, then I can see it being fun to play. I loved the world bosses for instance, and the pvp although wonky at times, mostly due to balancing teams was entertaining. Didn't get to try that many hard mode dungeons, and never got into the raid dungeon.