Videogame News

Thread: Guild Wars 2

Guild Wars 2

Didn't get to play this at PAX but I did get to take a look at it, and I have to say....I was VERY disappointed at the graphics and the over-all look of this game. I was expecting a complete re-vamp compared to the other games as far as Graphics Engine and it looks almost the same. Anyone else have any other input on this game?

Re: Guild Wars 2

I saw a few videos of it from Gamescom and I thought it looked promising.
    It might seem another hotkey based MMO but from what I saw, I'd say it's a bit different. The combat felt punchy and you seemed to have more direct control over your character. Every character has the ability to dodge (and jump which the first game didn't have).

The game lacks this traditional tank/healer/dps model, everyone can heal in a way and you won't be dependant on either a tank or a healer. If I remember correctly, they said that if you'd like to do a dungeon with 5 friends and all of them are thieves (class) then that's what you can do but it might be a bit more challenging.

The character creation was very customisable. You can customise your character quite thoroughly and then you get these questions (depending on your race and class) where you have multiple choices to pick from and these choices will make a difference in your characters story throughout the game.

Also what I really liked about it was the dynamic even system. You'll encounter random events along the way which encourages exploring. You don't need to find the quest giver before you can participate and you don't need to wait for other players to finish before you can start your own. Also, if you're not going to help these random events then they'll have consequences, the enemies for example capture a certain camp which was under siege or anything along these lines and they eventually push even further.
    An example they gave was something like this, you'll travel around and encounter a mansion being pillaged by the raiders. In some other MMO, you'll probably be like: "Meh, can't be bothered, I'm not on the quest yet". In GW2, you can jump right in and help. You'll get rewarded and it makes you feel like you're the hero. Of course if you don't help, it will have consequences.
    So if I understood it correctly, most of the events are on a specific track, if you help, you push the track forward and help your allies achieve something. If you don't help, the track goes backwards and you might eventually lose control over a camp. From what I heard, there are loads of these events and they're very diverse, not just another attack or defend type.

The skills system was nice as well. Your skills depend on the weapon you're using. Your skills with axe are different from skills with mace for example and you unlock them by using that weapon in combat. I think every class had unique skills with different weapons, so that a warrior with a bow will have different abilities than a ranger with a bow. That's how I understood it but not 100% certain. Also, your skills (and weapon) will change if you're going underwater so you can't cast fireball undersea which makes sense. They said that around 1/3 of the content is underwater but I'm not sure I like it. My experience with water combat hasn't been very great so far. They said that they want to take that idea to the next level, so they got rid of the breath meter and make the underwater experience more enjoyable. Have to see how it will turn out.

Anyway, those were my impressions from the few commentary videos I saw from Gamescom, I think it looked good graphically and combat seemed great. I'm sure we'll learn more about it when they're getting closer to the release date.
    Oh, and bare in mind, just like the first game, it won't have any subscription fees so you'll just have to buy the box which is a great thing!

Yeah as I said I didnt actually get to play it, just watched a bunch of other people play it :P Sounds like it will still be a pretty sweet game from what you say. Graphically though its nothing next gen, that's for sure.

IncGamers Member

My biggest worries are with the weapon system. I played GW1 and it was fun because of the different skill options. Now with half the skills are tied to a generic weapon I wonder if the same degree of skill options are going to exist.

...well.. im somehow looking forward for that game. But still im worried about that system of events etc.

Plus imperial environment (mechanic turrets, guns) .. i just don't know...but let's wait and see...

IncGamers Member

I'm very excited for this game, looks great and I'm hoping for an early beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
    I'm very excited for this game, looks great and I'm hoping for an early beta.
    diablo3 and guild wars 2 are on my highest wish list to get

I have been looking forward to Guild Wars 2 for quite some time now. I think the weapon system looks great, especially with the Elementalist class now having the ability to switch between elements so apparently quickly (from some videos I have watched). Though different from the original, I think Guild Wars 2 is bringing some unique things to the table, taking some different directions away from tradition, and though I have my doubts about a few things (guns and turrets), this is still high on my list of future games.

I guess my biggest thing was it just looked to me like another expansion with some new elements. I mean, Typically when you release a sequel in a franchise, its supposed to have some sort of Graphics Engine Update (Doom, Diablo, Everquest, Starcraft, etc...). I didn't notice any real difference in graphics for this game so it felt like another expansion to me. I'll have to take another look at it thought.

I played guildwars for several years, but since I am married etc. so I donŽt have time for two online games. I might take a break from d3 and play GW2, but I doubt it, since d3 expansions will come with new classes and new content. If however iŽll play gw2,then iŽll just make one class: the necromancer, which was among my favorites in guildwars and also in diablo2.