Videogame News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DXHR: Incgamer's first perfect review score

http://www.incgamers.com/News/28792/...irst-1010-game

I said it in the comments on the link but no other game in recent memory could deserve this more than Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

You owe it to yourself to at least check out some trailers!

Re: DXHR: Incgamer's first perfect review score

All I can say is this...

If I play this game and it is the experience I had with GTA IV, or KOTR, or Mass Effect, which received outrageously high reviews, where I sat there in shock saying to myself "Self, the world is filled with complete morons"...

I will be a very unhappy camper.

If I LOVED the original game, and HATE the trend of consolization, will I still like HR?

I don't really know what people mean by consolization, but it's on consoles?

Having an opinion different from your own does not make someone a "Moron". I loved Mass Effect 1 and 2.

I will say that I agree completely with the incgamer's review of it.

consolization means the following to me:

1. Graphically it has been neutered to fit on the consoles. I don't really care about this one.

2. The scale of the game has been trimmed down to fit in concole's limited memory. This one I hate a lot. This is why we get Oblivion cities that are separate areas instead of an open world.

3. GAMEPLAY that is streamlined for a general audience. A perfect example of this is Skyrim or any game made since 2004 or 2005. Options stripped out that remove all the magic from a system for the sake of not confusing people that have never seen an RPG before (For example).

You're right. It was wrong of me to pull out the moron word. Some people value story above all else. I value gameplay above all else, and the 2 bioware games above are 2 of the worst examples of gameplay in recent history (well, GTA isn't, but I just found it boring).

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    consolization means the following to me:

1. Graphically it has been neutered to fit on the consoles. I don't really care about this one.
    DXHR has a host of DX11 features. It also supports eyefinity and AMD's 3D solution (although, much to my chargrin, they didn't bother to support nvidia's 3D). I think it's safe to say that this isn't a concern.

Although the game isn't exactly breaking boundaries of new realistic graphics. It has a decent presentation, though.

2. The scale of the game has been trimmed down to fit in concole's limited memory. This one I hate a lot. This is why we get Oblivion cities that are separate areas instead of an open world.
    There's some hefty loading times in DXHR, but I wouldn't say anything has been "pared down" if you played the first game, or even the abortion that was Deus Ex: Invisible War.

But this isn't oblivion. It wasn't made or designed to play like that to begin with. This isn't really an RPG like that.

3. GAMEPLAY that is streamlined for a general audience. A perfect example of this is Skyrim or any game made since 2004 or 2005. Options stripped out that remove all the magic from a system for the sake of not confusing people that have never seen an RPG before (For example).
    DX: Invisible War was heavily streamlined for the consoles. People are still pissed about that, including people who played it on the consoles.

There are some "modern" mechanics such as a cover system and regenerating health, but it works better here than it does elsewhere, because you have so many choices with how you want to play the game.

You're right. It was wrong of me to pull out the moron word. Some people value story above all else. I value gameplay above all else, and the 2 bioware games above are 2 of the worst examples of gameplay in recent history (well, GTA isn't, but I just found it boring).
    Well the gameplay in DXHR is good but it isn't (like the graphics) going to spawn some new fantastic genre or anything. If you played and enjoyed Deus Ex, you'd probably love Revolution, or even stealth games like Splinter Cell or MGS/Thief.

That's not necessarily the focus of the game, since the gameplay itself is about options and some of these are tied into the narrative.

That was very well answered, thank you.

I found that very encouraging, especially since you pulled up thief.

I'm almost excited now!

Well, disclaimer

Nothing will ever match thief.

If you don't like story, this game may not be for you. It's very story-heavy, and story-driven, and some of the dialogue/voices are just atrocious. This game was made by a very small group of french canadians who have never seen a black person before, is my guess.

But the story itself, the thematics behind it, are stunningly potent and even better! relevant to what is happening in the world today, right now.
    The game, at its core, is about transhumanism which is going to be a massive moral argument in the coming years...but nobody is writing about it in a serious sense outside of cyberpunk, and many cyberpunk stories don't hit home quite like DXHR does.

This may sound far-fetched, but as a rather academic fellow who has studied transhumanism, I wouldn't be surprised to find this game cited by future academic papers simply for lack of other things to cite.

My copy should arrive on 26th of August. If it is anything close to the first game (according to some previews, it should be even better), it will be awesome, so I can't wait to get my sticky sausage fingers on it! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Maurish View Post
    My copy should arrive on 26th of August. If it is anything close to the first game (according to some previews, it should be even better), it will be awesome, so I can't wait to get my sticky sausage fingers on it! :P
    It's different from the original. Very different. Imagine Deus Ex updated to play on today's systems. I wouldn't call it streamlined but that's the expression many use to describe it.

It's very much a Deus Ex game, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Risingred View Post
    It's different from the original. Very different. Imagine Deus Ex updated to play on today's systems. I wouldn't call it streamlined but that's the expression many use to describe it.

It's very much a Deus Ex game, though.
    Ouch. That's not what I wanted to hear.

Here's what I loved most about DX1 and you can tell me if I'm gonna love it =P

1. The fact that you could explore. There was no linear path to anything and you could just wander around. Also the stealth paths weren't blatantly obvious.
    2. The ambiance and the back story. I love a good story, I just don't like it to be nothing BUT story like Bioware games.
    3. The fact that I always felt like I was entirely in control of my character. By that I mean that I never got the controls sucked out of my hands except for benign cutscenes. I chose what happened.
    4. There were no timed fail scenarios or boss fights.
    5. The character development path you chose REALLY made an enormous difference.