Videogame News

Thread: Deus Ex: HR

Deus Ex: HR

Anyone else try the "demo"?

After a couple hours with it, I immediately pre-ordered the collector's edition. They've managed to accurately capture and improve on the feel of the first game (we won't speak of the second).

I can't wait!

------------------------------------------
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Re: Deus Ex: HR

I've read this but I struggle to believe it. How recently did you replay Deus Ex?

Don't get me wrong, I want a great PC game to come out. But, my fear is that this will be another "great game" like Mass Effect that makes me just give up on new games altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    I've read this but I struggle to believe it. How recently did you replay Deus Ex?
    Fairly recently, actually, though not all the way through.
    Don't get me wrong, I want a great PC game to come out. But, my fear is that this will be another "great game" like Mass Effect that makes me just give up on new games altogether.
    You didn't like Mass Effect? I didn't like some of the planet-side sequences in the original, but overall I was very happy with the story, characters, and attention to detail in all the little bits of lore they spread about.

As for the second one, I thought they polished the overall presentation even more, although I also thought they swung too far in the opposite direction re: player choice in weaponry; in the first, it was a pain trying to sort through so many items, and in the sequel, there almost wasn't a choice at all.

Its not that I think they're bad pieces of entertainment, but Bioware doesn't really make games anymore. They make wonderful stories that you essentially click through like a slideshow (slight exaggeration). The gameplay is banal beyond words. I agree that the lore, the story and the characters are superb beyond compare. I just cannot play something if it doesn't have great gameplay.

I exclude Dragon Age from that critique as I have yet to play it. I also skipped ME2 as everyone I know said it was a travesty.

Its not that I think they're bad pieces of entertainment, but Bioware doesn't really make games anymore. They make wonderful stories that you essentially click through like a slideshow (slight exaggeration).
    You sure you're not talking about SquareSoft?
    I exclude Dragon Age from that critique as I have yet to play it. I also skipped ME2 as everyone I know said it was a travesty.
    I actually enjoyed ME2 more than the original, I think. The combat was tighter, more cinematic, and more interesting since they brought back "ammo" via thermal sinks. Dragon Age was great too, if only because they managed to successfully create a game with tough moral choices where it wasn't always obvious what the best answer was, or what the outcome of the choice would eventually be.

I skipped the second DA for largely the same reason you skipped ME2; a lot of people said it sucked.

Apparently there was an alpha/early beta leak that was meant solely for the press.

Apparently, it's gone over quite well.

I won't link to it or link to discussions of it as it's probably inappropriate, but it appears that SE isn't even shutting down the discussion. Might turn out to be a godsend for them.

I'm a bit more hopeful than I was.

Apparently there was an alpha/early beta leak that was meant solely for the press.
    That was the "demo" I was speaking of.

Quote Originally Posted by SaroDarksbane View Post
    That was the "demo" I was speaking of.
    Yeah, posted after a pretty rough day and forgot the origins of this thread entirely..

Sorry for posting like I'd discovered something =P