Videogame News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WoW?

WoW?

So, i hear they give free 14 day trial to new accounts, and in my Diablo II game, came 2 10 day guest passes, can i combine these for a total of 34 days? Is it something I should try? Some people say to avoid it like the plague, there is no turning back once you get addicted. Just looking for a good game that I can sit back and relax with a few buddies. Diablo II is amazing, just not filling my needs, unless I can find a good group to play with. Tired of the text chat, want some voice.

Re: WoW?

I would have said back in the days of vanilla wow it was easy to get addicted for the medium term. If it's your first MMO, then yes its dangerous.

But, Wow now is a pale shadow of what it was on release. Everything is streamlined, you don't have to know anyone else to achieve the best the game has to offer, you don't even have to move once you hit 85, which takes less than a month. It's still a great game, but I came back for cataclysm and was done again within a month. Without requiring effort, MMO experiences simply don't have a hook for me.

That's just my opinion, however. Others will feel differently.

If you have never played it, you owe it to yourself to try it out unless you are feverishly addictive in personality. Just realize you missed the peak of the game.

Banned

You won't be able to combine any of the trials, what's going to happen is you use one of the trials and when it runs out you will need to upgrade to the standard retail version in order to continue to play.

Avoid it if you're the type to get addicted, otherwise go into it and set limits. WoW is a big game with no specific way to play it...you can be a casual player like Noodle or Dacar... or you can be a Raider (endgame stuff, like dungeons, and town raids) like me, how much you decide to do is your call.

There's also the PvP aspect, and that is an animal all in itself.

Two pieces of advice I can give you before going in:

WoW is nothing like DII, none of the same mechanics, no single player or off line play is available though you can play solo through much of it if you like, however some of the quests and instances (instances are the WoW version of DII's dungeons) are designed around a multiplayer group type play.

Second point: Don't go into WoW alone, this is a downfall for many new players, try to find a server (and factionside, I.E. Horde or Alliance) that you know someone on. This way you have someone to help you out and can find a decent guild to get into. Guilds are in a way like the Clans of DII .... but they are much more helpful and like an ingame family. Many WoW guilds are friendly and will help you out.

If you need help or have questions, feel free to ask.

Howabout i take a step back and list the features I would like in a game.

This is hobby/relaxation time. None of my friends play games, but this is one of my favorite things to do. Some of the greatest people play online. Something with a decent size userbase would be great. Integrated voice chat, or a large community of followers I can meet up with who have access to vent/ta. I like to be able to fully concentrate my hands on the game rather than stop every five seconds to type out a message.

Second thing, I like is generally loot based games. Where everyone strives to accumulate wealth of some sort. I spent hours on an old game im sure we remember, runescape, swinging my pickaxe and hitting the anvil. +++ but not requirement to the game to have a level on uniqueness and customizability to the items in game.

Pretty basic stuff, im sure tons of games fall under this category. Can be on consol or pc, makes no difference to me.

Banned

Well as far as WoW goes, you're not going to get voice chat unless you are part of a guild. There is a public voice chat hosted by Blizard on the local servers, however no one uses it.

Tere is loot in WoW but our wealth is based on gold... you don't accumulate wealth by having items and hoarding items or trading them. You use the Auction House to buy or sell items or weapons and armor and Gold is our currency. Loot also binds, so most of the time you won't be able to trade or sell something that you have equipped.

What you do is sell non bound items and gear on the AH for gold and then stockpile your gold for other things you need.

Sounds alot of what I like. Though I doubt 10 days will get me a good feel for the game, and it does have its hefty price if I don't like it. Wow is probably not for me. Though it sound like alot of stuff is planned out well. I would prefer if most everything was tradeable though, for thoae of us that enjoy a different playstyle. Sounds like they are forcing us to play the way they want us to play in order to get certain items. Sort of like hanging a carrot in front of a horse to get it to move, the horse is not free to move and enjoy life where it wants

10 days will get you to 60+ if you play every day. It will get you higher than that if you know what you're doing already.

I also got some of those free WoW trial passes when I got SC2. I thought about giving it a go, but I just REALLY do not need a(nother) video game addiction!! If I would get addicted to it, I'd rather not know. I might try it out later when my time opens up a little more, but I have an enormous list of games on my "to play" list, and I'm WAAAY backed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    I would have said back in the days of vanilla wow it was easy to get addicted for the medium term. If it's your first MMO, then yes its dangerous.

But, Wow now is a pale shadow of what it was on release. Everything is streamlined, you don't have to know anyone else to achieve the best the game has to offer, you don't even have to move once you hit 85, which takes less than a month. It's still a great game, but I came back for cataclysm and was done again within a month. Without requiring effort, MMO experiences simply don't have a hook for me.

This.

The trial is awful. The game is plagued with gold sellers who are spamming trade channels, who will whisper you telling you to get keylogged on their gold selling sites, all kinds of crazy (and sometimes incredibly creative) marketing.

These gold sellers were using trial accounts because they had nothing to lose. So in a trial account, I think you can only get to level 10 (which takes like an hour if you know what you're doing), you can't whisper people, can't talk in chat channels, and you can't trade with other players. It's pretty much a solo experience, and the game doesn't truly begin until you get your first talent point, which is level 10.

Playing the trial will really sour your experience and overall opinion of the game if you don't know about these limitations. And no, trial time doesn't stack. If you do the trial and choose to purchase the game, just put the key on your bnet account and start over, because if you "upgrade" from the trial key, it can take them up to three days to lift the trial restrictions on your account. If that makes sense.