Videogame News
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Skyrim a potential disaster

You can't rescue what's been excised from the code base.

You have to have a hook to link to on the script side.

What they've broken is broken forever.

So, for those of you that have played the game - how much do you love it/hate it/etc..

How much of the list I initially posted doesn't matter in the finished product. Please also include your favorite game in the series prior to Skyrim so I can have a feel for where you're coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    So, for those of you that have played the game - how much do you love it/hate it/etc..

How much of the list I initially posted doesn't matter in the finished product. Please also include your favorite game in the series prior to Skyrim so I can have a feel for where you're coming from.
    Love the game! I'll go through your list below, but my previously most played TES game was Oblivion (unmodded as it was on the X360), and a short time in Morrowind, but it was very short due to my computer not being able to handle the game back then. I do miss the additional armor slots that were removed after Morrowind, but only because I want more slots for enchanting! >_<

- Stats completely removed
    Don't miss that aspect at all (remember I'm mostly Oblivion player), and I'm glad that power leveling aspect is gone. It was a real annoyance trying to keep up with how many of each skills you'd lvled up, and making sure it all fit together with lvling your major skills in order to maximize stats gain. In other words I'm happy with the health/magicka/stamina option you're given. I wouldn't mind having stats in the game, so long as it wasn't a PITA to deal with in order to maximize your character.

- Skills reduced from 21 to 18 (Mysticism, Athletics and Acrobatics have been cut). Levitation is gone forever it appears.
    Mostly I haven't paid much attention to it at all. Mysticism was rarely used in Oblivion, and not accidentally lvling up Athletics or Acrobatics is kinda nice. Of course in Skyrim it wouldn't be as much of an issue as in Oblivion.

Only thing which I sometimes contemplate is what I would have done if Athletics and Acrobatics were in the game, as there was a few fun moments in Oblivion messing around with those stats (mainly by stacking potion effects).

- Level scaling returns. Except THIS time, once you've visited a dungeon, its level is set forever. It can never get higher level creatures than at the level you visited it.
    I'm not a huge dungeon crawler fan, so this haven't affected me at all. I tend to run around and discover all the caves, mines, forts and whatnot, but rarely explore them since I'm on my way to a main or side quest. I can see it being somewhat annoying if you clear out every dungeon you go to as you find them. Then again you'd probably level up faster too, so there would still be plenty dungeons left by the time you get to around 30+ lvl range.

- On level up, you can boost your stamina, your health, or your magica. That's it.
    And it's enough for me. Leaves more time for me to explore the game or continue with quests. But like mentioned above I wouldn't have minded stats to be in the game, so long as it's not an obstacle you need to work your way around.

- Spellmaking is gone.
    This made me sad. I loved spellmaking in Oblivion, and it's one element I'm missing. As a pure destruction mage, the spells available is somewhat limited.

- You now get perks at level up (sometimes?). This apparently is because people don't understand any system but WoW anymore.
    As far as I've noticed you gain a perk on every level up, and it's another way of further customizing your character. Of course there's no denying the fact you need perks in smithing, enchanting and alchemy to make the biggest powerhouse of a character. But it's by no means required to feel powerfull.

The talents range from unlocking the ability to make better armors, improving damage, reducing magicka cost of spells and tons more. Basically you take your regular style of play to the extreme with talents. To me it gives your character a bit of personality too so to speak. Instead of (eventually) becoming a master of all trades, there are still elements in which you excell at more than others.

- No birth signs.
    Same with spellmaking on this one. Miss it from time to time, but don't feel it's a deal breaker as far as gameplay goes.

- Addition of finishing moves (barf)
    Playing as mage, so no idea how this comes into play when fighting. It does seem to be somewhat random though, and not something you can control. It's basically (from what I've seen) a random chance at killing off an enemy in a unique way that would otherwise have died you a regular blow.

- Leveling is even faster than in previous games
    Can't comment much on this. I felt lvling in Oblivion wasn't very slow at all, although the time from around expert to master might be significantly faster, it all depends on the skill. For instance I could grind out smithing to max super easy, as well as enchanting (93 when I ran out of soulstones with souls in them). But lvling destruction is a lot slower, as I don't summon creatures to attack in order to level the skill. So it goes up normally, and now that it's nearing 100, it feels incredibly slow to level, even with a buff to increase the rate at which magic skill increase by 20%.

- Game world is smaller
    Is it? In the beginning I ran around for the most part, and the world seems big enough for me. Even after aproximately 55 hours played, I still feel like I've not explored 10% of the world (that would be including all kinds of dungeons and such). Obviously the surface side of the map is quite well explored by now.

- You will be forced into one of three roles (warrior, mage, thief) based on the skills you use most. This will determine your useless crafting skill. I'm not making this up. This makes Diablo 3 look like a wide-open design. Utter garbage.
    You're not forced into choosing anything. You'll be more effective at the type of character you choose for sure, but isn't it kinda like that with all TES games? It definately felt like that in Oblivion. But despite what you lack in skills in something (2 handed combat, sword and board etc), you can for the most part make up for that with smithing and enchanting. With a little bit of abusing of game mechanics (or min/maxing), you can turn your mage into a heavy armored soldier just with items. Not as effective as one with talents in the correct place, but still very much lethal.

For instance mages typically wear robes, but once my enchanting is maxed I'll finally go through with my plan of a heavy armored battle-mage. I'm not using a shield or a 1h weapon alongside magic though, as I feel I'll be giving up too much in terms of offensive power. But I could see how it would be possible by giving up most of the talents in smithing and enchanting. You'll have less superior items, but also be more versatile in combat. Or it could be done purely for the role-playing aspect.

TLR for the most part only your imagination limits your character in any huge way, bar being an expert mage archer 2 hand wielding heavy armor wearing monster with a mastery of smithing, enchanting and alchemy. Sure you can pull off some of it, but not without spreading your talents very thinly.

I guess this sort of contradicts what I've said previously about being able to be good in everything. But do you really expect to fully master every element of the game on a single character?

- PC Players will need to mod their interface again since Bethesda isn't sufficiently competent to make PC games anymore.
    Haven't had much of an issue with the interface. It could be imroved, but you quickly learn all the different shortcuts and small things that can be done using the keyboard which isn't mentioned anywhere else. You just have to try out the different key combinations. For instance at first enchanting items was a pain until I figured out a few things, some obvious, others not so much.

I'll take an example of enchanting a dagger. First you select the dagger, then bring up a different menu (1 mouse click), select the enchantment, select the strenght of the enchantment (slider) and confirm, click once on the mouse to go to the soulstone selection menu. Select the soulstone, click craft and confirm.

Now this took me a long time until I found out I could select items with the e button (this is more for mass enchanting of single items mind you), go to enchantment menu, select enchantment and click e twice (or click once with mouse and e to apply the most powerful enchantment possible (slide is always all the way to the right)). Go to soulstone menu, click on soulstone, click r for craft and y to confirm. Sounds like a lot, but it takes only seconds.

There are a few "bugs" though which could be sorted out. For instance clicking too far to the left of the menu when looting something closes the window. Minor issue and nothing game breaking for me.

- Spells have to be equipped to be cast. Also, apparently you cannot mix and match spells although that's unclear.
    They do indeed need to be equiped, but by favoriting and assiging a hotkey, switching spells doesn't take long at all, even when dual wielding.

You can mix and match spells, but the effects won't combine into something different if that's what you're asking. Say combining fire and frost won't shower your opponents with a blast of water. But it's perfectly possible to cast a fire bolt and ice bolt simultaniously. However if you're playing with destruction magic, it's more efficient to put a talent in dual-casting perk, which means if you combine 2 of the same spells, the effect is enhanced. Instead of casting 2 fire bolts, you'll cast 1 more powerful version.

- The mages guild is gone (there might be some minor magic guilds of some sort, but the old mages guild is no more). Idiocy. Its like Valve deciding to get rid of the half life series.
    There is a mage college, which is basically Skyrim's replacement of the Mage Guild. It's quite well explained in the story what happened IIRC. Some NPC's will share information about it, and I believe there might be a book with some more detailed information, although not quite certain. But you can most definately join the Mage College as you would the Mage Guild in previous games, recieve quests, become headmaster and whatnot.

- Weapons will auto target instead of hitting whatever you swing near (like assassin's creed).
    Can't comment on this as I've not used weapons a whole lot.

Unofficial Incgamers Clan - The Red One

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    so is Bieber pointless or just women in general?

Okay, I've played it.

I was right about the following:

The removal of stats sucks.
    I hate the streamlined spells (fewer spells available but there is a lot less "dead wood")
    I despise the removal of spellmaking
    Finishing moves are as big a waste here as they are in other games
    The UI is an atrocity rarely seen before in a PC game (but it is easily usable and you get used to it very quickly)
    Spells need to be equipped to be cast. What idiot made this decision?

Okay, all that said, this is EASILY the best new game I've played in years. I don't really understand how they accomplished this. It left epic behind and created mind-boggling. As a professional game developer, I cannot possibly believe that this was created by a team of 80 people. There simply is nothing else out there in the open world genre that can compete with this. Its story elements are even better than Bioware (who suck so badly at gameplay that it harms small woodland creatures).

Its not perfect. There's things I personally would have changed, and will when mods come around, but anyone that prefers bioware games to this should pretty much just have their brain removed and have a blue ray player installed.

Even if you don't enjoy role playing games, do yourself a favor and play it just to ride your horse around and gaze at salmon jumping up a waterfall.

As an old-school rpg fan, I do miss the minutiae a bit, but by any measure, this is an unbelievable achievement.

I've been playing it myself and am quite pleased with the outcome. I was wondering if you were going to revisit this topic.

Let's hope the DLC/expansion content for this game is of similar quality. Oblivion's were absolutely abysmal. KoTN was interesting but buggy as hell, SI was boring and overlong, 'Fighter's Stronghold' was a poorly designed mess that a first grader could have improved upon, etc.

I agree with you on the horrid UI (but the modding community will tend to that). Ditto with the removal of spellmaking.

Glad you liked the game Zarni. I do agree on some of your points, but to me it's not something that's constantly bothering me while playing, as I get immersed in the world instead.

Haven't played in a while now though. Need to set more time aside for Skyrim. >_>

Unofficial Incgamers Clan - The Red One

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    so is Bieber pointless or just women in general?

A potential disaster?

Skyrim beats all games on sales (including Modern Warfare 3), play time and scores right now and it's considered to be one of the greatest games of all time. The game already won more than 25 game of the year awards.

I think you should not bet on anything from now on Zarniwoop.

Quote Originally Posted by permaximum View Post
    A potential disaster?

Skyrim beats all games on sales (including Modern Warfare 3), play time and scores right now and it's considered to be one of the greatest games of all time. The game already won more than 25 game of the year awards.

I think you should not bet on anything from now on Zarniwoop.
    I am the most ridiculously happy person on earth to be wrong about the outcome of this game.

Its the first time my inclination has been wrong (for my own taste not that of others), and I'm so astoundingly pleased by that that I happily tell everyone I know that I was totally, completely and wonderfully wrong on my hunch for this game.

lol I went dark for 2 months cause of Skyrim...

^Glad you liked it Zarni... Though it could have been better...

Well, the most annoying part for me is also the best - the system requirements to achieve nirvana are apparently so high that I can't really reach them. However, I had a recent breakthrough and realized that my corporate-level anti-virus is putting the smackdown on everything, so as soon as I burn it away from the critical files I should see some improvement.

• Beautiful, as well as thematic
    • Decently detailed
    • Not grindy
    • Not steppanfetchit to a stupid extreme

Training appears to be easily finessed, which is kind of silly - you pick train-capable henchies and then just take all your money back. It might have made better sense to handle it differently. Only thing I would have REALLY appreciated would be a 'hard mode' of some kind where food & sleep really matter. Otherwise you're just cooking feeble heal potions.
    How much of the list I initially posted doesn't matter in the finished product.
    I am the most ridiculously happy person on earth to be wrong about the outcome of this game.
    Really, it does. You shouldn't go off sounding like me on a Red-baiting binge over something that isn't even in beta (I think that's the time you proclaimed "potential disaster"). Sure, I'm not console tolerant myself (which makes my son having the major three even more painful hypocrisy) but Dey's gotta get da Exboz fanz to see reasonable profit for a venture of this sort.
    Please also include your favorite game in the series prior to Skyrim so I can have a feel for where you're coming from.
    Morrowind, but that's also the only one I really spent time in. I like both Fallout 3 and NV better, though I tire relatively quickly of them.

For those who enjoy -
    Zero Punctuation
    Extra Punctuation