Videogame News
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Re: Ten most overrated games of all time

I have to add Assassin's creed and Dead Space 2 to my list. Dead Space 2 isn't a bad game, but the fact that this is what defines a "90 percent" today is almost infuriating.

You can almost feel the strain of the writers to make the thing cohesive. It's so awkward and a rehash of every basic shooter we've ever played. And it has the Doom 3 problem of becoming almost laughably predictable. I literally know where every single monster will spawn 1 hour in.

Compare this thing to the tension of System Shock 2 and then tell me it's a 90 percent game.

Also, its an action-wise boring copy of Doom 3. Come, on, it looks EXACTLY like it!

Back when Doom 3 came, it was cool and it looked fantastic! You can't say the same about dead space.

- Call of Duty, since Modern Warfare - Just typing that nearly makes me vomit, although I must admit, MW was pretty fun for a few hours.

- Spore - Extreme hype for such a less-than-stellar game. Its really interesting, and a cool concept, but theres practically no gameplay. Its more like work! However, I had a ton of fun during the space stage, making dough on spice! I guess thats because I really loved Drug Wars/Dope Wars.

- Black and White - I was blown away by this game -- at first. The creatures seemed to actually learn, and they do, but it was just so aggravating to make anything happen in the game, nearly impossible even. To be a god, I felt powerless... so chucking rocks was the way to go. So much for the creatures...

- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - This game was nothing but dialog! Why they didn't just write a book is beyond me.

IncGamers Member

Any Blizzard single player RTS.

Seriously, they are pretty much unplayable. They all use the same storyline, the gameplay is extremely boring and are they aren't challenging at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Spens View Post
    Any Blizzard single player RTS.

Seriously, they are pretty much unplayable. They all use the same storyline, the gameplay is extremely boring and are they aren't challenging at all.
    I enjoyed WC2 back in the day, but I didn't get into WC3 at all, and I literally could not make myself play Starcraft SP past the 5th mission.

That's funny because I have probably played the Starcraft 1 Campaign through for over 9000 times. No joke involved!

Wow...lots of hate on game narrative in this thread. I like how you guys conveniently separate it from "gameplay" when they interact to the point where they cannot be separated. But whatever. Here's my list, and keep in mind that I actually dig some of these games:

1. WoW. Seriously.

2. Team Fortress 2.

3. Zelda (any).

4. Final Fantasy (any).

5. Planescape: Torment

6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

7. Duke Nukem

8. Doom

9. Vampire: The Masquerade.

10. Bethesda, as in, any game they ever made. This should actually be number 1.

They absolutely can be separated.

Bioware has built a juggernaut on doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    They absolutely can be separated.

Bioware has built a juggernaut on doing so.
    They cannot outside of some uninformed attempt at bias.
    They are intertwined in such a way that one can hardly exist without the other anymore. Even puzzle games have stories; the ones that don't are labeled as being "casual" and not "real games".
    Just because you feel one specific company isn't good at combining the two doesn't say anything, really.

But this is derailing.

I wouldn't say I hate game narratives, but the presentation can really get in the way. For example, I thought Mass Effect 2 (didn't play the first one) was a great game, but 90% of the game is story chit-chat. Being forced to plod through so much dialogue can become tiresome, and somewhat tedious, especially when I play games to do just that: play games. I want to interact, I want to see stuff happen, hear things, and experience the world the creators want me to experience, not pause all that interaction for mounds of dialogue.

Anyway, I don't hate stories in games by any means. The Elder Scrolls is my favorite game series of all time, and I oftentimes browse the libraries in-game.

So thats where I'm coming from with my opinion. This thread is about overrated games, and I think games that hurl tons of story at you, like Star Wars KOTOR, and Mass Effect, are overrated. Overrated in the sense that yes, those games may be awesome deep down, but to most gamers they're... meh.

Here's a different example: movies. Lord of the Rings grossed so damn much at the box office, and I can tell you right now its not just because Tolkien wrote some badass books.

Bah, now I'm just rambling. My point is, games with too much story in-your-face are overrated. Hell, even Call of Duty was too much like a movie for me, awesome, but... I wanted more game. They're all like awesome war movies with whack-a-mole style gunplay between movie bits, i.e. headshot the guys that pop up. Again, more game please.