Videogame News
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Re: Ten most overrated games of all time

Quote Originally Posted by Elly View Post
    I have to agree. Major disappointment to me.
    What was your major disappointment? Not challenging you, I'm just sincerely curious.

I agree that the enemy AI was in no way as good as in Half Life 1 (which I still say was the superior game up until the miserable XEN sequence). And I agree that half life 2 was much more of a tightening of what made half life 1 great, but wasn't the gigantic leap forward that half life 1 was.

But, for me, it was the half life world on display that hooked me. It was astoundingly atmospheric to me. I guess I love the dystopian, "we're not going to force feed you the story", "I feel like an actual part of a resistance movement", that I really liked about it. And whether you liked it or not, the set pieces are works of art for the time of release. I still think they are benchmarks.

I'm still stunned by Ravenholm years later and find it more impactful than even games like the gimmicky left for dead/lfd2.

Again, I know that doesn't make me "right" in any way. I'm just curious what makes games tick for others.

Sometimes, little groundbreaking is all you need

IncGamers Member The Lord of Darkness's Avatar

The most overrated game in my opinion is Diablo. There just isn't enough content, no run feature, the lighting for the most part is horrible. Alot of people became addicted to this game and that's great but I couldn't. I've tried time and time again to play but lose interest pretty quickly and haven't even finished it and probably never will.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lord of Darkness View Post
    The most overrated game in my opinion is Diablo. There just isn't enough content, no run feature, the lighting for the most part is horrible. Alot of people became addicted to this game and that's great but I couldn't. I've tried time and time again to play but lose interest pretty quickly and haven't even finished it and probably never will.

Ok, now that that's out of the way , did you play it *after* Diablo 2? If so, I can understand, I went back through D1 a couple years back, and it was rough! Where it shined was when it came out, it was totally awesome. I think anyone from then could agree a 'run' option would have been nice, but overall, it was spectacular. Then, when D2 came out, everyone was like "OMG!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S *THAT* MUCH BETTER!! THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE!!" Also, D1 multi player added WAY more than the single player could give. That's not really something that can be experienced in modern times cause everyone's moved on.

I guess what I'm saying is it makes tons more sense going from D1 to D2 than from D2 to D1.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lexaeus View Post
    Its just doing the sam crap over and over again and then interrupted by story and then doing it some more until the game is over.
    Isn't that every 3D game and turn based RPG ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Nunquam View Post
    CNC3 also.. Silly campaign and the strategy in every map was: defend the point the AI will constantly attack every time, build up army of the best units availble, steamroll, win, repeat.
    Meh
    Isn't that every RTS campaign ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Risingred View Post
    8. Doom
    Doom 1, 2, and TNT/Plut are awesome. No dumb stories or cutscenes or characterization, interesting enemies and guns, great map design, fast paced, and still better than pretty much all of the single player FPS made in the last 10 years (especially with this obsession the gaming industry has with mostly having human enemies -- talk about limiting the enemy diversity pool). There aren't many FPS where you go into a room and 50 monsters look at you. The only bad thing I can think to say about the original trio is that there's a lot of keyhunting. But they're usually not evil about it.

Doom 3 was crap though. It pretty much took everything that made the first two good and did the opposite. Lots of cinemas/dialogue and setpieces which plague modern gaming, low enemy density and variety, snail like movement speed, and the whole enemies teleporting in constantly thing. The classics had some teleporting enemies (like trap rooms) but for the most part the maps were pre-populated.

Last edited by marshmallow; 28-11-2011 at 21:09.

IncGamers Member The Lord of Darkness's Avatar

@ Technomancer.

I played Diablo 1 probably a month or so before playing Diablo 2 and this was probably around 2003-2004. Have I actually played it from release my view on it may be different but the transition from 1 to 2 was quick.

The funny thing is that I have been playing D1 recently, and while initially shocking (clunky controls and inability to run), its still wonderfully atmospheric. More so than the original.

It does have an awesome atmosphere, that's the only thing that really saved it when I went back through. It did more than save it, though, it's kinda the POINT! Even knowing everything about it and having been through it many times, I still got totally creeped out when I first went into the Catacombs! And those disappearing ghouls or whatever just made me a nervous wreck!

Diablo, for me, is the pinnacle of the series thus far. I'm not saying D2 wasn't fun, or that I won't buy and enjoy D3 when it comes out too, but the first one was (and is) an experience, rather than simply a fun pastime.

The music, the atmosphere, the enemy design . . . it all just comes together into the most compelling game of it's genre that I've played.

(Is there anything that compares to the Tristram music? Or the Doom Knight death sound? "HooarrARRRarr!")

------------------------------------------
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

I know this is about overrated games, but I'll hop on the Diablo 1 bandwagon.

The game is masterpiece, and was even more so in its heyday. Before Diablo 1, my only RPG experience was some old Might and Magic game with a fairly clunky interface. Seeing such a vivid inventory that I could manipulate with the mouse was somewhat mind-boggling.

The whole game just looked fantastic. It was like I was in control of a piece of art that got darker and more evil with each level down, yet from the title and the installation screen, I knew I was seeking to destroy Diablo without reading one line of dialog. So simple, yet so compelling (compelling: the latest buzzword at Blizzard now; good luck with matching D1's "compellingness" guys).

Anyway, Diablo was never overrated. If someone rates it by today's standards, then that's totally unfair. Diablo is one of those things (to me anyway) where if you live through it, you understand the impact it had. Gosh, I feel old now, haha...

On-topic: Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty...