Videogame News
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Ten most overrated games of all time

Just for another interesting perspective on what people DON'T like, what are your top 10 most overrated games of all time? They don't have to be BAD games, just games that didn't match the acclaim that they received.

Here's my list:

1. The Sims. I won't even apologize for this. This game may be technically very interesting. But, its as interesting to play for me as going to work every day. I played it for a night and was so depressed at the futility of it all that I uninstalled and never looked at it again.

2. Halo. Thanks for the reminder Komskies. This was the entry point for a ton of console players to anything more interesting than ... well whatever was on the platform before that. Not a good game in any way. I installed it again at work to make sure I wasn't being unneccessarily cruel, but there are myriad games that were out at this time that I found vastly superior.

3. Knights of the Old Republic. Look, I will grant you that Bioware makes the best stories in pc gaming. But, they also produce the worst actual gameplay of any top tier game maker in the history of AAA gaming. I played this game and finished it, so it wasn't a bad game. But, the only reason to play it was the story. I will never understand the mind that can call this the best game ever.

4. Grand Theft Auto IV. I'm still amazed at how much they packed into that game and how irritating it was to actually play it. I finally just completely ignored all my phone calls and any missions I had going and just ran around until I realized it wasn't as much fun as GTA III for running around like an idiot.

5. Bioshock. I loved System Shock 2. I looked forward to Bioshock like you can't imagine. I was shellshocked when I saw the end result. Again, NOT A BAD GAME AT ALL. Beautifully realized and wonderfully atmospheric. But, it was much, much shallower than advertised and reviewed.

6. Mass Effect. See KOTOR. Another tiny set of corridors like their previous game with some buttons you could press to effectively advance the slideshow. VERY interesting and wonderfully written, but again, hugely overrated as a game as opposed to a story experience.

7. Black and White. Really astounding in a lot of ways technically. Not fun at all in practice. Black and White 2 was fairly enjoyable however.

8. Neverwinter Nights. Yes, I'm hammering Bioware. Its not intentional, these are just the games that, for me, were nothing close to the hype. I tried desperately to love or even like this game. I couldn't make it happen. I even tried playing with friends. It was technically wonderful and ambitious, but it just wasn't much fun in any mode.

9. Myst. I hope I don't need to say much here. Again, not saying it sucked, but 5 million copies sold? Good lord.

10. Oblivion. I am the biggest Elder Scrolls fan there is. I'm obsessive about it. I want to work for Bethesda some day as my dream job even if I have to take a 20k pay cut. And Oblivion is a great game by today's standards. Fantastic systems. The problem for me was that it wasn't as well designed as morrowind except for its questing and its systems. It felt smaller and less interesting than Morrowind for all Bethesda's claims to the contrary. It had a main quest that was possibly the most irritating and "do your own thing"-breaking in this history of sandbox games. I say this every chance I get, but if you could make a game that was 50 percent Morrowind (world design and feel), 30 percent Oblivon (systems), and 20 percent daggerfall (scope and intrigue), you'd have a perfect game. Alas, even the ES has tipped down the endless slope to consolozation.

There are numerous others, but these are the ones that leap off the page at me.

Disagreement and discussion are welcomed, but lets not make this a personal thread. It's all just opinion.

Last edited by Zarniwoop; 28-04-2011 at 14:20.

IncGamers Member

Re: Ten most overrated games of all time

I agree completely with you regarding Mass Effect, but disagree about KOTOR. I was only able to play Mass Effect 2 for about 15 minutes before I was too bored to continue.

I don't really have a list per se, but IMO the most overrated games of all time would be the Halo franchise. How people can praise those games is beyond me.

With you on most but as for ME/Kotor...
    Zarni, I am disappoint.

Seriously though, I can't fathom how you reached your conclusions on those two, brilliant games...I could agree the storytelling in either overshadowed the game-play, but that's just because it was that good. So, I hafta ask, how much of a chance did you give them? I actually replayed Mass Effect and it's sequel and the list of games that received that honor is very limited.
    Edit- come to think of it, I don't really remember Kotor's gameplay mechanics (t'was a long long time ago), just that I really enjoyed every moment of playing it.

To throw in another name on my own overrated list;
    Risen - no idea why people raved about this, bloody awful combat mechanics, bland plot and acting killed it for me.

Last edited by Noammr; 28-04-2011 at 11:07.

There's no way I could do 10 games on this, since I have pretty low standards (). One that has just always bugged me though:

Final Fantasy 8. I see people hail this game as being so awesome and revolutionary and yadda yadda, but I just found this game to be rather horrible. I mean, I didn't have this point of comparison at the time, but in retrospect I feel like that game was made to suit the same type of people that Twilight was. It's like they were just like "look how shiny and pretty we can make an RPG that 17 yr old girls can like" and forgot that the game sucked. Drawing was terrible. The story was REALLY forced. The ending made NO SENSE. The only characters I liked were the bad kid from SEED's lackies that always said "ya know?" after every sentence. To be honest, the funnest part of that game to me was the cards sub-game. I've been meaning to go back and give the game another shot, but I just can't bring myself to waste the time.

IncGamers Member

Final Fantasy 8 holds a place in my heart for one reason, and there is a similar reason that I liked FF7.

I am not a rabid fanboi over either one, but I just really loved playing with the materia combos in 7, and I love playing the card game in 8. I guess I am easy to please... it only takes one good thing to make me enjoy a game.

To be honest, if FF8 didn't have the card game, I most likely would have never re-played it.

I know, I liked the card game too! I thought it was the best part of the game! Sadly! Now, I totally love FF7 (approaching fanboy status). What's funny though is that I wasn't totally crazy about it at first. Didn't dislike it at all, just still longed for the SNES era games. After my second round, it was one of my favorite games.

Quote Originally Posted by Noammr View Post
    With you on 2,4 and Halo but as for the 1/3...
    Zarni, I am disappoint.

Seriously though, I can't fathom how you reached your conclusions on those two, brilliant games...I could agree the storytelling in either overshadowed the game-play, but that's just because it was that good. So, I hafta ask, how much of a chance did you give them? I actually replayed Mass Effect and it's sequel and the list of games that received that honor is very limited.
    Edit- come to think of it, I don't really remember Kotor's gameplay mechanics, just that I really enjoyed every moment of playing it so the above comment is mostly in regard to Mass Effect.

To throw in another name on my own overrated list;
    Risen - no idea why people raved about this, bloody awful combat mechanics, bland plot and acting killed it for me.

I work in the game industry. That doesn't make my opinion any better than anyone else's in regards to what is fun, but it does give me the chance to immediately deconstruct a game and see what it is.

Everyone loved Kotor because it was fantastically written. But, videos and wonderful dialog aren't enough for me to call a game great. AGAIN, I enjoyed playing it. I played it all the way through and consider it a good experience. However, I've played innumerable titles with better gameplay. I was shocked. You often just pressed a button and watched the fight play out in some cases (essentially). The game world was lots of tiny little corridors and tightly constrained areas with invisible walls in the outside. It felt thrown together from a world and gameplay design standpoint. I was stunned when I played it that it felt like a prototype and not a game.

With mass effect, I started playing it and immediately realized it was the same game as kotor with tons more standing around. Again, great story, but, I ducked out shortly into it this time as I simply require more than pressing buttons to get to the next dialog tree.

I understand why people like them. I think this may also be the reason why I watch essentially ZERO television. I can't stand passive entertainment unless its spectacular.

Edit: Also, if you can't remember the gameplay of a game, there wasn't any.

Last edited by Zarniwoop; 28-04-2011 at 16:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    4. Neverwinter Nights. Yes, I'm hammering Bioware. Its not intentional, these are just the games that, for me, were nothing close to the hype. I tried desperately to love or even like this game. I couldn't make it happen. I even tried playing with friends. It was technically wonderful and ambitious, but it just wasn't much fun in any mode.
    My friends hyped the "awesomeness" of NWN to the moon back in the day, but when I played it myself I found the vanilla game experience underwhelming to say the least.

On the other hand, I think the inclusion of the Aurora toolset - and with it the ability to create and share custom content - was absolutely brilliant. The potentially endless replayability was a boon for PC gamers and the growing amateur modding community alike.

NWN was definitely not a game for me, but I stop far short of calling it overrated. It was an influential game-changer IMHO. To this day it boasts a dedicated following. Hell, the game + toolset has even been used as a skill-teaching platform in classrooms. That's pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Technomancer
    Final Fantasy 8. I see people hail this game as being so awesome and revolutionary and yadda yadda, but I just found this game to be rather horrible.
    This is one of - if not THE - most criticized and crapped-on titles in the entire FF series, so I disagree that it's 'overrated'. By critics at the time of its initial release? Possibly. By gamers in general? Heavens no.

Quistis Trepe CERTAINLY is not overrated. Teacher. Glasses. Whip. Hawt. *mumble*I'd like to go on a nature hike through her hills and valleys.*grumble*

Quote Originally Posted by Technomancer
    To be honest, the funnest part of that game to me was the cards sub-game.
    With a little luck and some google-fu, you may be fortunate enough to find a marvelous little stand-alone, fan-made Triple Triad App that appeared (I think) in the early 2000s. It was very well-made and featured all of the original cards along with the addition of a handful of new ones, most (maybe all) of the alternate rulesets, and the ability to alter the difficulty of the AI opponent. IIRC there was also a rudimentary framework in place to allow online MP, but the project was apparently abandoned before that aspect could fully come to fruition.

1.FFVII I do not have to explain
    2.FFVII
    3.FFVII
    4.FFVII
    5.(M)*** Effect / Dragon age. The game is absolutely boooooooooooo0000000riiiiiing
    6.Halo from the second part onwards. First one was awesome, the second one, not so much.
    7. Call Of Duties / Battlefields that have appeared on 7th gen consoles. (Bad company, MW ect..) Both series started to devolve because of the required console port. ME NOT LIKE.
    8. Counter-Strike. Action Quake is way better. Also, it's filled with little kids like the choice above.
    9. all wc3 map "Dota" spawns, like League of Legends. Extremely boring.
    10. Sims games (with the exception of sim cities and their variants) Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    This is one of - if not THE - most criticized and crapped-on titles in the entire FF series, so I disagree that it's 'overrated'. By critics at the time of its initial release? Possibly. By gamers in general? Heavens no.
    Well, I guess I've just been unlucky because when I usually see it come up, people seem to swoon over it. And when I see someone say it's one of their favs, my eyeballs explode. :grin:

Quistis Trepe CERTAINLY is not overrated. Teacher. Glasses. Whip. Hawt. *mumble*I'd like to go on a nature hike through her hills and valleys.*grumble*
    Mmm, oh, well, yeah, there *is* that... *Mmmm*

With a little luck and some google-fu, you may be fortunate enough to find a marvelous little stand-alone, fan-made Triple Triad App that appeared (I think) in the early 2000s. It was very well-made and featured all of the original cards along with the addition of a handful of new ones, most (maybe all) of the alternate rulesets, and the ability to alter the difficulty of the AI opponent. IIRC there was also a rudimentary framework in place to allow online MP, but the project was apparently abandoned before that aspect could fully come to fruition.
    Haha! I remember that now! I had heard about it back then, but forgot about it. I meant to go check it out then, but I think I might go and look for it now. Thanks for the reminder!

Quote Originally Posted by nurman View Post
    1.FFVII I do not have to explain
    2.FFVII
    3.FFVII
    4.FFVII
    LOL!!

Yes you do!

(no you don't. I've seen you go into it before. )

---

Another one on my list, and this is prolly gonna get me flamed to a crisp...

The Ultima Series. *ducks* I haven't tried all of them, but I've tried about 5 different (older) Ultima games, and I just can't latch onto these games. I'm not sure if it's the way the ongoing dialog is done, the fog of war, or what, but I have tried to like these games repeatedly and I just can't. They just feel completely clunky and weird to me. This isn't a "I've only tried to play them as an adult" thing either. This goes all the way to my single digits through my 20's. I just never can feel it.