Videogame News

Deux Ex for the PC

Well, it appears the PC version was an afterthought (what a surprise).

Not only has it been developed for the ground up for the console, but its going to be ported by an outside company.

Now, before you say "oh give it a rest console hater", let me just say that I've ported games professionally as a third party studio and the results are never more than "acceptable". Also, it almost doesn't matter as the audience is very different between platforms. PC gamers expect a totally different experience than console players.

Just out of curiousity, what do other people think? This is a game that is a bastion of PC gaming. Do you fear the effects of consolization? Can this franchise survive another mediocre product (assuming it sucks)?

Just curious if I'm as much in the minority as I suspect.

Re: Deux Ex for the PC

This is complete and utter smurf!

Im sick of Gaming companies shafting the pc gamers, Don;t these companies know their root of all business came from us? and giving us mediocre games is just a punch in the face.

Ive been anticipating this game for Ages, Deus Ex 1 was one of the best games ive ever played, DX2 failed a bit.... but for them to go and design it with consoles in mind? and then not even have the audacity to port it themselves is ridiculous, I was going to buy Deus Ex Human revolution, but now I think I won't bother, I fear the effects of the consolization... and theres reasons for it, there has NEVER been a good port from console to pc EVER.

Companies moan about how piracy is ripe on the pc(its not as bad as they make out), so that is their justification for focusing on consoles, then the PC gamers are the after thought, and we end up with a crappy port, that just drives people to pirate more, as no self respecting pc gamer, would willing pay 40-50 for a crappy console port.

To be honest, this signals the deathbell for the Deus Ex Franchise... Deus Ex 1 was a top notch game, its story and rpg elements were awesome, and then the multiplayer addon was epic to. Deus Ex 2 bombed for a reason, they took about pretty much all the Roleplaying aspects of it, and made it a rather mediocre shooter, and after reading this the way DX3 is going, its not going to end well...

Sigh had such high hopes for the game to... Oh well, still got SWTOR, Diablo 3, Torchlight 2/Torchlight MMO to look forward to

The reasons they do it are money. It makes perfect financial sense. But, it does also mean that all games are going lowest common denominator slowly but surely (with a few exceptions like some strategy games, and most valve games).

Note, I'm not calling console gamers idiots, but rather saying that the developer has to understand that a much less savvy audience is going to be playing in general.

Boooo, say it ain't so! :(

Not a lot of games I look forward to (really don't have that much time nowadays), but this one was definitely one of the few on my radar...add to that the fact that I live in a pretty much console-less enviroment =/= me being a happy panda.

Guess I'll just have to keep on replaying Portal & Portal 2.