Videogame News
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skyrim!!!!!

Re: Skyrim!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kavlor View Post
    Yeah Id like to see that return,maybe not in the same form as morrowind as it was a bit OP.

One of the negatives I dont like is being able to just go where you want with ease,it should be more dangerous.I'd like to see enemies that are way too strong for you to get past so you can come back later when your stronger.Im not confident they'll do this though and that they'll have the levelled enemies again.
    See that's the problem. Everyone wants the ES series to turn into something it isn't. At its heart its a questing and exploration game, not a survival game. Making it into one just makes the questing and the exploration tedious.

However, clearly people responded to the simpler Oblivion and they love Bioware's new but terrible games, so I'm obviously a minority.

IncGamers Member

But questing and exploration should have some tension to it.I wouldn't say its survival but standard RPG element to have enemies that are way too strong in some areas,it gives a feeling of progression if you can later knock the stuffing out of them.Fair enough if you dont think thats what its about but it would be a plus for me.I just dont like seeing a different enemy in the same place just because I went up a few levels,it spoils the immersion.

Quote Originally Posted by kavlor View Post
    But questing and exploration should have some tension to it.I wouldn't say its survival but standard RPG element to have enemies that are way too strong in some areas,it gives a feeling of progression if you can later knock the stuffing out of them.Fair enough if you dont think thats what its about but it would be a plus for me.I just dont like seeing a different enemy in the same place just because I went up a few levels,it spoils the immersion.
    At the same time, you don't want the entire game to level up as you do. I still can't believe anyone tolerated that on the console versions of oblivion.

You should always have a small chance of running into something that can wipe you out. You should also cap the advancement of normal mobs. For example, you should NEVER see a rat over level 4 or a bandit over level 8. I think its just a personal preference thing. I'd rather have long periods of minor tension spiked with larger ones and a few surprises. For example, the first thing I do when I get a new Elder Scrolls game is open the construction kit and make the hordes of suicidal natural animals much much much less likely to attack. Again, I'm experiencing a world, not playing an xbox title, I guess.

NOTE: there's nothing wrong with xbox titles. I'm just making the point that I'm a curmudgeon that likes to whine about the good old days when games had depth. And no, they aren't rose-colored glasses. I still play Emulated classic Everquest because it beats the crap out of any current MMO.