Videogame News
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Secret of Mana

I forgot to mention this, but for the longest time I thought that the sprite child was a girl. I don't know if I missed the He early on or something, but it did look like a girl anyways. I still have trouble calling him a he it usually sill comes out she

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    No one has mentioned secret of Evermore? It was a late snes release I think, but I think it is *close* to as good as SoM, the alchemy method instead of spells is pretty awesome, and I think many later games may have gotten their ideas from SoE. It is a little sucky that you can't play as other characters besides the dog (which is no fun to play)
    That's another one everyone should play at least once in their lives. I'm not quite as fond of it as you are (I felt it was a little boring at times), but it's a very good game. My favorite bit was being able to utilize the dog to sniff out alchemical ingredients in the surrounding area (and concept of him changing forms).

How about Earthbound? It's considered a classic now but back when it was released it was scorned far and wide (in the US anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs
    I forgot to mention this, but for the longest time I thought that the sprite child was a girl.
    You're not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch
    and Illusion of Gaia is a no-go?
    By all means give it a spin if you like. If you ever play and enjoy some of the other titles in this very very loose series (Actraiser, Soulblazer, Terranigma), you will inevitably want to try Illusion of Gaia as well. At least you can't be ripped off like I was!

$60 for 6-7 hours of gameplay and only one (LAME) sidequest that isn't even worth the effort. Even Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest offered more bang for the buck.

IoG is not the worst Action-RPG I've ever suffered through actually. Not even close. I'd have to reserve that dubious honor for Hydlide (knowledge is power - lots of profanity, probably NSFW but I am providing a very valuable public service here); and if this was a list of worst games of any genre, IoG wouldn't even crack my top 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    There's another thorn in my side: Actraiser, one of my all time favorite video games ever! Period. An innovative classic. Then comes Actraiser 2 which completely removed the element that made the original game brilliant (the world-building/god-mode aspect)... in return for an unforgivingly hard, and dull side-scroller. Sad. I say 'dull' because two similarly "unforgivingly hard" side-scrollers, Earthworm Jim and Contra: Hard Corps, were released around the same time and they were fantastic.
    I know: Actraiser = Epic awesome, Actraiser 2 = Wha'? I again lucked out on A2 because I saw a write-up in Nintendo Power about it and saw that it was side-scroller only and was like, eh. Not that big a fan of the side-scrollers, but it integrated nicely in the first one and I loved the world-building part so much! I played it years later and it was alright, but NOT the same. I'm with folks that think of Soul Blazer as the true Actraiser 2. It's completely different in every way, but the spirit is the same.

No one has mentioned secret of Evermore? It was a late snes release I think, but I think it is *close* to as good as SoM, the alchemy method instead of spells is pretty awesome, and I think many later games may have gotten their ideas from SoE. It is a little sucky that you can't play as other characters besides the dog (which is no fun to play)

I never likes SoM3 or whatever you want to call it, I tried really hard to like it and played into it pretty far. It just was a little to different from the first one for me to get into I think.
    With me, it was just the opposite. I was never able to latch onto SoE. I didn't care at all for the Alchemy system. I thought it might be related to SoM, and in a gameplay/graphics way it was, but I dunno, just never resonated.

I forgot to mention this, but for the longest time I thought that the sprite child was a girl. I don't know if I missed the He early on or something, but it did look like a girl anyways. I still have trouble calling him a he it usually sill comes out she
    Haha! Me too! Err, three! I still think of her... it as a girl. It just seems to fit better somehow!

BTW kestegs, I haven't had the chance till now, but your avatar is just great! Error! The best videogame character name ever!! And side-scroller Zelda! It's like the Actraiser 2 of the Zelda series! A lot of people rail against it, but I really liked the heck out of Zelda 2 though! That game is HARD!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    How about Earthbound? It's considered a classic now but back when it was released it was scorned far and wide (in the US anyway).
    Another one I never could latch onto, but my friend is always working on me trying to convert me! He just loves everything Mother (that's the actual name of the series!! ). I'll give it another go some day, but my cheese-o-meter is pretty picky. Of course, I made it through Pokemon Red/Blue and loved it, comfy, stylish shorts and all, so I don't know what the hang-up is. :grin:

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
    wow, guys! thanks for the feedback! i plan on playing some more today (i have a Water Boss that needs a good ***-kicking and it's taken me forever to finish this dungeon up. i can't wait until im out of here. damn Zelda water temples. ><) and will heed y'all's words wisely. :grin:

thanks a lot! and Seiken Densetu 3? i'll be on the lookout for it, thanks! and Illusion of Gaia is a no-go? understood.
    Illusion of Gaia is pretty good actually, just, yeah, not for $60! The other games in the series are a bit different, with a bit more going on than just straight action gaming. Yeah, beating it in a solid day or two with little-to-no RPG stuff in it, is a bit disappointing for an RPG fanatic that's expecting that, but it can kinda scratch the Zelda itch. Heck, you never know, if you play that and the others, you might like IoG more! Different strokes for different folks and all that.

I have an obsession with zelda 2, hence the avatar

It is by far my favorite zelda, and also my favorite console game of all time. I am a huge fan of side-scrollers so that is a lot of it I know. I also seem to be drawn to games that other people hate.
    I know I have played and beaten IoG a few times, but it was never great for me either. I have not met many people who feel the way I do about SoE, but I still love it!

I have attempted to play earthbound on several occasions, and something about it just rubs me the wrong way, I have given up on it.

Zelda 2 is my second favorite after A Link to the Past. I never liked the original that much, really. *dodges flying rotten vegetables* One thing that is fun about 2 is recommending it to other people, they play it, and they're all like "WTF dude?!!", then I'm all like "lol noob".

Lol, we hi-jacked TEH HIJACKER'S thread! Sorry Leo! :grin:

IncGamers Member

i still got the original super nintendo SoM cartridge in my room with lvl 99 chars and max lvl weaps and some of them have an extra lvl too from dropped weapon orbs from monsters.

only thing i didnt like was charging weapon atks from 0 to 8, took too long

IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Technomancer View Post
    Lol, we hi-jacked TEH HIJACKER'S thread! Sorry Leo! :grin:
    dude, you're talking to, like, the QUEEN of derailment, hi-jacking, and OT. im not mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
    dude, you're talking to, like, the QUEEN of derailment, hi-jacking, and OT. im not mad.
    that there sounds like fightin' words missy

IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon[XoA] View Post
    that there sounds like fightin' words missy
    idk, Xenon. im not bragging here, but i have 7000+ posts that contribute nothing to Diablo. and if i have posted in a Diablo themed thread, it was because the topic had gone off OT already or i welcomed someone or something. i know nothing about runes, strategies, weapons, mercs (im not even sure what a "merc" is. >.>) or fishymancers. (honestly, i read that and thought it was a Necromancer who had a high skill in fishing. i actually think it's some player's guide (player named Fishy or something) and it was dubbed "Fishymancer" after him. i could be wrong, but im trying to remember and i've slept hard since that conversation)

if that tells you anything.

Haha! your so funny! Have you ever even played D2 (that stands for Diablo 2, it's a computer game)?