Videogame News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

Secret of Mana

has anyone else played this game? i just started today, im at the very beginning. im liking it okay so far. a little confused because i didn't read anything about it or background history, but i think im getting it. how do you feel about this game?

and one last thing... if anyone else played this, did you think that Jema looks like Sean Connery? Seriously, everything that guy is saying im hearing Connery speak it. XD

Re: Secret of Mana

HAHA! "You musht reshcue the Mana Sheeds, young one."

I always loved SoM! I actually bought it a LONG LONG time ago by accident! I was meaning to buy Illusion of Gaia, but I wasn't too familiar with either at the time and got them mixed up!! I rented IoG sometime after that and was like "Damn! I'm glad I got mixed up! Secret of Mana is so much more awesomer!"

But yeah, I liked it. It was a little weird to get use to, but once you do, it's really fun. It really took me a long time to get use to other characters acting on their own. How far along are you? have you You gotten 'the girl' (the 'Marle' clone ) yet, or gotten to the dwarves?

Quote Originally Posted by Technomancer View Post
    have you You gotten 'the girl' (the 'Marle' clone ) yet, or gotten to the dwarves?
    lol, right? yes, i have the girl. i named her Bina (pronounced: "Bee-na".used to know a girl named Bina in high school. no, that was not her real name, but we called her that. and i figured it was perfect, idk why) and i named my boy Frau (first choice was Froo or something to mean "poofy and fluffy and girly" because his hair is a bit poofy and seems more voluminous than mine. XD but i went with Frau instead. plus, Frau amused me a lot. >.>).

im about to go to Gaia's Navel, but im screwing around in Kippo Village. the controls are a little weird for me because i went in blind, but im getting used to it now and know what is what.

im reading this guide to help me a little (it helped me learn the controls too. im playing on an emulator and am using the PS3 controller) and it said to strengthen her up or she will be shy. she's kicking some butt so far and so is Frau. i like that sometimes he will fight on his own and i can concentrate on her... sometimes he takes Bina's thunder. :(

SoM is a classic - not my favorite old-school Squaresoft title, but it's definitely in my top 5.

The only thing that really annoyed me about this game was having to level up weapons and magic. On the other hand, I'm OCD about maxing everything so that's my own damn fault.

When you finish SoM, I STRONGLY recommend getting your paws on an English-translated copy of Seiken Densetu 3. Same style of gameplay as SoM but superior in every conceivable way.

Quote Originally Posted by Technomancer
    I actually bought it a LONG LONG time ago by accident! I was meaning to buy Illusion of Gaia, but I wasn't too familiar with either at the time and got them mixed up!! I rented IoG sometime after that and was like "Damn! I'm glad I got mixed up! Secret of Mana is so much more awesomer!"
    Lucky bastard. I paid $60 for Illusion of Gaia when if first hit the shelves. I beat it in one sitting and felt so ripped off. Enix knew they had a stinker on their hands too - the game came with a free t-shirt. I got more use out of that than I did the game.

Something that might be useful is getting into the menus (I don't remember exact place, haven't played in years), there's a place where you can set the AI for the characters, like how aggressive or defensive they are. That can be useful if you think they could be doing a bit more or are getting too much action.

I'm totally OCD too and had to max EVERYTHING!! *shivers* For more passive playing, when you get a nice collection of weapons going, I'd recommend picking just a couple (different) weapons for each character (probably 1 melee weapon and 1 missile weapon) and use only those so you can keep them leveled up without having to even think about it. Spells, yeah, that can get a little grindy since you need different elements for different battles, but it's not too bad if you do some leveling as soon as you get new spells. They don't have to be maxed out or anything.

SD3 is so totally awesome! Playing SoM first is nice though as a primer since SD3 can get a little hairy, especially if you pick the hard characters. (BTW Leo, Seiken Densetsu 3 is the sequel to Secret of Mana. In Japan, SoM was called Seiken Densetsu 2. SD3 was never released here, one of the many great tragedies in console gaming. )

But yeah, I felt like a lucky bastard. It's a shame IoG wasn't so good, since I really loved all the other related games: Actraiser, Soul Blazer, and Terranigma.

Quote Originally Posted by Technomancer View Post
    But yeah, I felt like a lucky bastard. It's a shame IoG wasn't so good, since I really loved all the other related games: Actraiser, Soul Blazer, and Terranigma.
    There's another thorn in my side: Actraiser, one of my all time favorite video games ever! Period. An innovative classic. Then comes Actraiser 2 which completely removed the element that made the original game brilliant (the world-building/god-mode aspect)... in return for an unforgivingly hard, and dull side-scroller. Sad. I say 'dull' because two similarly "unforgivingly hard" side-scrollers, Earthworm Jim and Contra: Hard Corps, were released around the same time and they were fantastic.

One of my geekiest gaming fantasies is that someday, somebody with a brain will decide to reboot Actraiser with its original god-game + action elements intact.

Back to the main topic (sort of), I've replaced alot of my default PC sounds with soundbits from various classic games. One of them (trying not to post any spoilers for Miss Leo) is the sound of a certain object that is shook to summon a certain something.

Well, I'm a little late to the party!

But SoM is an awesome game! I have literally played that game to death. It is probably in my top 3 of Snes games. I have done the full levels on everything, and beaten the game using no magic at all as a challenge. The advice I would give is to not neglect your magic when you get it. I have also played this game with friends and it is pretty fun in MP.

No one has mentioned secret of Evermore? It was a late snes release I think, but I think it is *close* to as good as SoM, the alchemy method instead of spells is pretty awesome, and I think many later games may have gotten their ideas from SoE. It is a little sucky that you can't play as other characters besides the dog (which is no fun to play)

I never likes SoM3 or whatever you want to call it, I tried really hard to like it and played into it pretty far. It just was a little to different from the first one for me to get into I think.

And finally @Dredd: I have never really heard anyone else mention actraiser! that is also one of my favorite snes games (snes is probably my fav console) I loved the side scrolling mixed with the god-mode town building, but I always thought that the god-mode part was the best. I bought AR2 purely upon the merit of the first game without further information. I don't think I ever even finished it, I was SOOO disappointed!

wow, guys! thanks for the feedback! i plan on playing some more today (i have a Water Boss that needs a good ***-kicking and it's taken me forever to finish this dungeon up. i can't wait until im out of here. damn Zelda water temples. ><) and will heed y'all's words wisely. :grin:

thanks a lot! and Seiken Densetu 3? i'll be on the lookout for it, thanks! and Illusion of Gaia is a no-go? understood.

played it so long ago.
    best were the dancing selesmen.

no spoilers, Gala! lol!