Videogame News

Now for my own "What's that game" post!

I've been thinking about some of the awesome games I used to play when I was a little kid, and I got to talking with a friend about an arcade game that we both used to play back in like the early 90's, he thinks may have even been around in the late 80's too. It was a medieval fantasy first-person game where you were a knight (and I think you were wireframe or something. Maybe that was just if the other player was out...) and it was 2-player and you could defend or attack and get better weapons and stuff. Gameplay/style was basically like an arcade light-gun shooter, but with normal controls and melee weapons.

I remember the graphics were totally wicked for the period and I can't remember if it was a standalone, or based on a specific system. I was originally thinking a TurboGrafx-16, then I thought it might be a Neo Geo, but now I've polluted my own memory so bad by trying to remember that I'm just hopelessly scrambled!!

Any help would be totally awesome! :grin:

Re: Now for my own "What's that game" post!

Was a good portion of it in a dungeon?

Elly - Admin,
    Diablo: IncGamers on Twitter on You Tube on Facebook
    DiabloNut.Com (Diablo 3 database) - Blue Post Tracker - Diablo3Ladders.Com

New to Diablo 3? Read this great primer.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, you behaviour does.

Um, no, actually most of it (at least a large part of it, never beat it) was outside, like in the countryside or in front of castles. It was an action game and your view was directly behind your character and you would swing your sword to attack foes right in front of you or raise your shield to defend. As for storyline, I think at some point, you were trying to defend a castle like this, but the enemies were able to kidnap a princess or something and you had to go get her back, but I never got that far. Cause I sucked. And I was poor.

It was so long ago, I have a hard time remembering more details. I was probably around 10. I think you spent a lot of the time attacking Orcs, but I can't be sure. Ugh, I can't even be sure of that!

Anyway, do you have any names of anything I could look into? My friend thought it might have 'dragon' in the name, but I looked up everything 'dragon' I could find and nothing rang a bell. If I could just go look up a screenshot (if there are any, arcade games are hard to find pics of, I've looked), I would instantly recognize it.

IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

Castlevania, but i don't think so.....

ok, so im on Google Images and Paula Dean is here. wtf? anyways...

*continues to browse*

edit: Techno, is this it?

edit2: nvm.... i think that is for an SNES game. here is the link: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/20/vi...t-in-bizyland/ i searched Qix arcade game and the above pic popped up.

good luck if this is not it.

Last edited by Leopold Stotch; 08-12-2010 at 04:38.

Paula Dean?! What are you looking for?! :grin:

Nah, it's neither one of them. Thanks though. The game's overall style was similar to something like Virtua Cop 2 (the actual gameplay begins after about a minute), but it is up close and personal with melee weapons instead of guns, and it's medieval fantasy knights and monsters instead of cops and robbers. Oh, and it didn't use a light gun or anything, just normal arcade type controls, it just had a similar gameplay layout of walking you through the scene and having to fight enemies as they came up.

Edit: Oh yeah, and you also spent the whole game looking at the back of your character unlike lightgun games. All the sprites were pretty big too, and it wasn't tile based-style (like your pic Leo), nor was it a side-scroller.

Quote Originally Posted by Technomancer View Post
    Paula Dean?! What are you looking for?! :grin:

Nah, it's neither one of them. Thanks though. The game's overall style was similar to something like Virtua Cop 2 (the actual gameplay begins after about a minute), but it is up close and personal with melee weapons instead of guns, and it's medieval fantasy knights and monsters instead of cops and robbers. Oh, and it didn't use a light gun or anything, just normal arcade type controls, it just had a similar gameplay layout of walking you through the scene and having to fight enemies as they came up.

Edit: Oh yeah, and you also spent the whole game looking at the back of your character unlike lightgun games. All the sprites were pretty big too, and it wasn't tile based-style (like your pic Leo), nor was it a side-scroller.
    It sounds like Ultima to me tbh...

D3 General & D2 Newcomer Moderator
    IncGamers Site Pal

Here's one that I've been unable to find:

Back in the 1980's, on my Mac, I played a text based RPG. Basically, a threatening mist of some sort came over the town, and bad things started to happen. You had to find a mogic stone that would restore the village to its serenity. The game came with a glow in the dark plastic replica of the stone. There were a bunch of standard type puzzles to solve, like you get thrown in jail and have to explore the cell to find the tunnel hidden beneath the cot so you could escape, that kind of thing. It was a ton of fun, and I remember the feeling of accomplishment when I finished the final puzzle and beat the game. I'd love to find a freeware version of it, but can't for the life of me remember the name.

OH PLEASE HELP I found out why Waldo's always hiding he did so many horrible things please let me in he's righ

You came to the right thread Noodle! The game you're talking about is called Wishbringer. I actually have that game in the back of my closet somewhere and was the first text-adventure I ever played!! Well, played might not be exactly correct... 'attempted' is more like it. At least that game and a bunch of others I got with an Atari 800 computer (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Planetfall, Enchanter, Deadline, and the dreaded Zork) taught me how to type! I'm serious! I was just in my single-digits back then! It was awesome!

Infocom released their games on a variety of systems, but had a unique system where the game data was the same on all systems, they just had system specific interpreters. There's a pc interpreter called Frotz that allows the same data files to be run on pc just like the original Mac or Atari versions.

D3 General & D2 Newcomer Moderator
    IncGamers Site Pal

That's awesome, Technomancer! Thank you sooo much! I'm going to try to dig it up - it was a really fun and challenging game, at least to a 1980's version of me.

OH PLEASE HELP I found out why Waldo's always hiding he did so many horrible things please let me in he's righ

I love those games! I mean, yeah, they're dated. (DATED!!!) But, I have so many fond memories of being called a loser every time I died. I've been passively embarrassing myself trudging through Enchanter lately, refusing to look up any walkthroughs! It's totally awesome! :grin: