Videogame News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

playing a game from "network"?

hi everyone,

i am not sure if it is correct place to ask. if it is not sorry for this.

first of all it is not the general question about "playing a game from network" read below please.

lets say i have 2 computers connected with network. one of them is at location A (computer there is cA) and other is at location B (computer there is cB). i have a game open in the computer cA but want to control/view the game at computer cB.

is this technology possible? i am asking something like playing a game using VNC or remote desktop but they are either too slow or cannot manage to control game (because of not being supporting some technologies like directx etc...).

assume network is really good (gbit maybe or 100mbit). assume the game is Diablo2 (an example for being non-system-resource-hungry game)

...and no, i cannot go to computer cA or cannot carry cA machine interested in only software solutions...

thanks

Re: playing a game from "network"?

I play DII with my son on occassion through our router. All you need is the IP address for each computer and the game installed on both computers. I think it can be the same copy of the game as well so long as it's LAN only. I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong.

IncGamers Member

i dont think he wants to play with someone but rather "for" someone.

I guess i could reccomend team viewer but you already excluded that one

DoW Fanatic, no that is not what i asked.

trashX, teamviewer and similar "remote asistance" applications cannot stream game "data" (i dont know what to call it) in a playable speed. havenot tried with teamviewer though but not sure of it. have you tried it for this case? nearly all of (although could not find an exception) they stop streaming video when a directx application (game) starts.

what i found is a web site doing this (wont give name of site, not sure if it is allowed), but no other software etc...

i need some alternative software solutions except that site

IncGamers Member

You may consider asking in the Feedback, Suggestions & Troubleshooting thread, or on the Single Player Forum, as those guys know a bunch about the game and "supported" software mods. It would surprise me if they didn't know of such a program, assuming one exists.

Highly doubt you'll find a solution - taking the limitations of vnc into consideration, you're effectively having to transmit too much data too quickly.

IncGamers Member

Is this what your looking for

www.streammygame.com

Actually I have not got this working but this can stream games either free with limitations or for a very small fee with less limitations.

IncGamers Member

The hardware reqired to power streammygame and simular services is pretty beastly if you want to use fairly recent games. as a test to see you can manage it try recording with fraps on top quality while gaming.

Are they both located fairly close together? If so you could do this with just a bit of cabling and small hardware expense. A KVM and monitor switch.
    Not sure of the range of these, may be worth looking into depending on how far apart your systems are.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Wirel.../dp/B000JXN528

IncGamers Member

The hardware reqired to power streammygame and simular services is pretty beastly if you want to use fairly recent games. as a test to see you can manage it try recording with fraps on top quality while gaming.
    I dont know I can only get it to stream over wireless not over broadband and its just a netbook im streaming to.Do you have a multicore processor as Id of thought that would help in fact I think you'd need a quad - one for SMG one for the game and one for Fraps its the perfect situation to use multicore.

You could always try setting up a virtual desktop to the other computer and using it via that.