Videogame News
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Any Free MMORPG Recommendations?

There is no free to play MMO where you can be competitive in the endgame without paying.

Seems like there are several MMOs going or have gone F2P or hybrid this year. Champions Online, WoW (very limited f2p), Age of Conan...

One I don't think has been mentioned yet is City of Heroes. They've just launched the "head start" for subscribers who get to see the new content first. Probably doubles as a beta test for the new stuff. They should be allowing free play soon. Judging by the events they have listed, probably some time after the 23rd, but they haven't actually announced when yet as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    There is no free to play MMO where you can be competitive in the endgame without paying.
    Generally true, and IMO that's the way it generally should be. Subscribers should be given access to things that free players don't have access to. Otherwise, why pay at all? At the same time though, I think free players should have access to a lot of content all the way to end game, or its just a hyped up trial account (looking at WoW ).

Quote Originally Posted by Glurin View Post
    Seems like there are several MMOs going or have gone F2P or hybrid this year. Champions Online, WoW (very limited f2p), Age of Conan...

One I don't think has been mentioned yet is City of Heroes. They've just launched the "head start" for subscribers who get to see the new content first. Probably doubles as a beta test for the new stuff. They should be allowing free play soon. Judging by the events they have listed, probably some time after the 23rd, but they haven't actually announced when yet as far as I know.

Generally true, and IMO that's the way it generally should be. Subscribers should be given access to things that free players don't have access to. Otherwise, why pay at all? At the same time though, I think free players should have access to a lot of content all the way to end game, or its just a hyped up trial account (looking at WoW ).
    pay for showing off. non-gameplay content. or leveling services. in fact numerous competitive private wow servers exist in this manner, without the ridiculous "donor" items that are c ommonly associated wtih the scene

DC Universe Online is going free to play in October.
    I had a good look at it during the beta and it was quite fun. Quite many differences from other traditional MMOs in the market, good character customization and great voice acting. If you like being a super hero or a villain who can use super speed, acrobatics or fly around in the city then keep an eye out for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurish View Post
    DC Universe Online is going free to play in October.
    I had a good look at it during the beta and it was quite fun. Quite many differences from other traditional MMOs in the market, good character customization and great voice acting. If you like being a super hero or a villain who can use super speed, acrobatics or fly around in the city then keep an eye out for this one.
    Another one going free this year. I played DCUO for a while. It was good and I enjoyed it a lot, but its way too short, even for a non-MMO. Casual players can easily hit end game in less than a week or two.

That coupled with the SOE hacking fiasco has pretty much discouraged me from signing up for anything Sony for the foreseeable future, free or not.

IncGamers Member

It's really stupid and really childish, but I really like Sqwishlands~ It's like webkins, but the companions are only twenty five cents. Also you can never go wrong with flash games!

Looks like City of Heroes has officially launched their free to play model now. Enjoy!

I got urge to play Aion again. The most fun for me was to take portal to opposing faction's side and get some solo kills. Like 8+ lvl Gladiator fighting monsters and when finished I sneak kill him with sin. Then disappear to shadows again and watch as the angry mob comes to hunt me down.

So, is there a F2P where I can do this same thing as in Aion? I've browsed the lists but there's so many of them (games)...

IncGamers Member

warhammer online has an "unlimited time trial"
    I don't think you can go higher than char level 10 and you're also limited to the first zone

but you can make an many chars as you want and play as long as you want

you are pretty gimped considering the paying players can get to level 15 in the first zone, but its still one of the best PvP games out there

its not really about solo, its much more about realm vs realm,
    the "proper way to play" is to join a warband (a group of 24 players who play as a team and support each other during the battle)
    then you try to get 3 or 4 warbands working together and capturing all the battle field objectives (of course you'll be fighting 3 or 4 warbands of the opposing realm who are trying to defend the objectives)

its a good free trial

its even good spending 30 bucks and playing for 2 months because the PvP is much more fun in the 2nd and 3rd zones,
    but after that ...
    well, they made too many bad design decisions and its just no fun

Yep, I have it installed, even subscribed few months when it came. Fully geared/gimped Marauder and Zealot on that trial. But I'm looking more ...adventuring or roaming in enemy territory. Almost finished with Argo download, see how it plays out.