Videogame News
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Any Free MMORPG Recommendations?

Well, recently I looked into WoW and tried out the free trial. I was surprised to find that it's actually fun as heck. But, unfortunately, there is no way I can afford to pay monthly (no "ZOMG $15 IS SO CHEAP!!!!" please, I'm not old enough to get a job and wouldn't dare to ask my parents to pay for it). Even if I wanted to go on a private server (which I don't; real game please) it would still cost me a good $100+ since I would have to buy all of the expansions. (But! I heard there's news that they might make WoW free to play in the future when Blizz's new MMO comes out! Hurray!)

Anyways, to the point: anyone have any recommendations for a good, free MMORPG? There's so many to choose from and I have no clue where to start, so a few good words about a MMORPG would be quite appreciated. I'm leaning toward a fantasy/medieval setting and something with lots of people. I thank anyone who can give me some suggestions ^.^

P.S. Whenever someone mentions Runescape to me Diablo kills a kitten... THINK OF THE KITTENS!

Re: Any Free MMORPG Recommendations?

Well there is always Runesc OHWAIT! Poor kitteh! I'll save j00! *casts decripify on Diablo*

Now run kitteh! RUN!

Anyway on a more serious note, I've heard Guild Wars is pretty good, and it's free to play. Apart from buying the game that is.

Unofficial Incgamers Clan - The Red One

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    so is Bieber pointless or just women in general?

Anarchy Online (first 200 of 220 levels + Notum Wars expansion are free). I think that this game is hugely underrated and the best free value across the industry imo. I still play it and I love the world. 4.99 per month for shadowlands which is a steal, and speeds up leveling but NOT required. Don't do this if graphics are all that matters to you or if complexity confuses you and you are put off by that. Its a sci-fi setting, but its different enough from our world as to be inseparable from fantasy.

This is NOT a hand-holding game like WoW. There's a good bit of complexity, which I love. The learning curve is steep if you want to see all there is to offer. But, the last 3 friends I had try the game loved it.

The difference between this and the other "Free to play games" that aren't really free at all, is that there is actually a community that exists entirely within the free to play portion of the game (which is gigantic) AND you can interact with the normal subscribers across many areas of the game. There is a huge graphical overhaul coming for AO within the year I believe.

14 professions, all very different. Sci-Fi setting. Very complex personalization of your skills and abilities. Gear choices number in the tens of thousands. You can play this game solo including long, involved quests. The best pvp in all of the mmo universe (in my opinion). The list continues. The only shortcoming really is that the graphics are circa 2001. And I personally don't care because I love the game world and its systems.

Note: you will want to get clicksaver, nanonanny and third party maps (which are all endorsed by Funcom even if unofficially) if you decide to play.

Last edited by Zarniwoop; 28-07-2010 at 17:05.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably try the trial of Guild Wars when I get back from my vacation, and I'll see what Anarchy is all about.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the games have to be useable on a mac x_x looks like that's going to keep me from playing a lot of games.

Last edited by GoldenBird; 28-07-2010 at 17:19.

Anarchy is an experience, not really something you read about.

But, good luck either way.

You could always try Rappelz. It's very WoW-esque, has been around for a long time now and has an established community. I have no idea if it's MAC friendly though, I haven't played in a while myself. I'm happy with EVE. (not free to play)

Bah! I'm quite disappointed I must say.

Anarchy and Rappelz both aren't compatible with mac, as I've seen that most free mmorpgs are x_x I've tried downloading a few others but they're either pure junk, don't work, or require a higher OS!

I guess my only solution is to get Bootcamp or something that'll allow me to play PC games. I'm also going to try the Guild Wars trial once I come back from my vacation. It's a pity, so many games but none for mac. Guess I might be stuck with Runescape (in which case I might as well just throw my computer out the window).

IncGamers Member

I know this thread is old, but Vindictus is a pretty sweet free MMO. The combat is more action based, kind of like a 3d brawler. The writing isn't bad for a F2P game either.

MUonline

A classic hack n' slash MMORPG

www.project1999.org

Warning: this is the hardest MMO ever made and not for everyone. Very old graphics also.

Last edited by Zarniwoop; 12-01-2011 at 15:42.