Videogame News
    IncGamers Member

Sony to disable PlayStation 3 operating system feature

I think this would be the right place to go. If not, please move it appropiately.

Anyone heard of this news? Sony is forcing us to pick between disabling the OS feature, or not being able to get online content. A clear betrayal of customer's trust, if you ask me, especially since I use the system for both gaming AND working!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8594720.stm

Re: Sony to disable PlayStation 3 operating system feature

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...28358800.shtml here's another article on that subject.

To cut the long story short: this sucks. IIRC they've sued people altering software for AIBO dogs as well. Apparently, according to sony you merely rent the machine...

IncGamers Member

I am spreading the word on this as much as I can. Classes, forums, etc. Let's just hope they get sued like the Sony Rootkit incident and needs to pay us money AND a fix for it.

Anyways, I cannot see how we "rented" the machine. There is no specific contract that clearly laid out that we do. If so, I would have never bought it in the first place, and go for an xBox or a PC instead.

I wonder though, how long do you think that that this new patch is actually cracked as well? That hacker doesn't look like he's going to go down quietly. In fact, it seems like he is going to step up the action on all this.

Edit: The patch is apparently now live, and it is not a joke. Someone will have to pay for this.

Last edited by AnimeCraze; 01-04-2010 at 04:56.

Well that stinks! I loved to play diablo 1 on my friends ps3!

that kind of crap is exactly the reason why I start to detest large companies. They just screw you over each chance they get. And if they fail the first time, they'll keep trying.

It's a said evolution.

Never used it, so I don't care.

Concerning the "renting" aspect of it, I am not an expert on copyright/intellectual property or all that jazz, but I always thought that the way things worked on the official level was that you are not so much as paying for the machine but paying for the right to use their technology. But like I said, I am by no means an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by NASE View Post
    that kind of crap is exactly the reason why I start to detest large companies. They just screw you over each chance they get. And if they fail the first time, they'll keep trying.

It's a said evolution.
    Dont blame them, they are only trying to reap in the most money they can get. What gives them the capability to do this is the enforcement of intellectual "property" rights by the government, they are at the root of the idiocy. Those enforcements keep competition away that could develop better consumer goods. The same as with govt regulations everywhere.