Videogame News

I want to like Star Trek Online - Who's with me?

Had my first proper go on STO tonight and I'm currently at earth space station.

There seems to be an awful lot of information to digest and it reminded me very much of the start of Champions Online, then 'course I remembered it's made by the same people.

It's at this point I get annoyed with myself because I'm a lazy git if I allow myself to be. Achievements, bridge officers, weapon arrays etc etc, I see all these NPCs with this seemingly important stuff to learn right now and I sink a bit in my seat. As a trekkie I want to like the game and even though it was always going to disappoint (nothing short of actually going on the Enterprise/Voyager would satisfy me) I'm going to stick with it, despite the barrage of information.

Anyway, here's my ship the USS Sanctuary. I can't customise it, even though I spent 15 mins doing so until I realised I had no money. Pity as it was looking damn fine.

Who else is playing STO? I know we gave Pals keys to the open beta so any of you been trying it out.

Elly - Admin,
    Diablo: IncGamers on Twitter on You Tube on Facebook
    DiabloNut.Com (Diablo 3 database) - Blue Post Tracker - Diablo3Ladders.Com

New to Diablo 3? Read this great primer.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, you behaviour does.

Banned

Re: I want to like Star Trek Online - Who's with me?

I have yet to finish the initial download of the client, but I'll be out of Spacedock as soon as I can....it's slower than molasses.

-We need to properly christen that ship with a bottle of champagne.

D3 General & D2 Newcomer Moderator
    IncGamers Site Pal

I've been playing it the last couple of nights. My biggest problem is that the servers tend to go down ten minutes or so into my playing sessions so far. We'll see if they're up this weekend. So far, I've enjoyed it, although the graphics are a bit clunkier than the trailers would suggest. I don't know if it'll succeed in pulling me away from WoW, but it's been fun so far.

OH PLEASE HELP I found out why Waldo's always hiding he did so many horrible things please let me in he's righ

You guys are talking about the beta, right? In the US, the release is still about a week away...

Anyway, is the ship combat as fun as they're making it out to be?

Having just purchased Mass Effect 2, Rogue Warrior and playing through Fallout 3 for a second time, I'm afraid I'll get so into it that I'll forsake my newly purchased titles. I've also been resisting the urge to play EVE and DDO since having my internet turned back on at home.

I'll get around to it soon, of that I have no doubt.

Ok, I cracked and am downloading the collector's edition right now. So long social life, as if I had one to begin with.

Last edited by DoW Fanatic; 07-02-2010 at 05:55.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by DoW Fanatic View Post
    Having just purchased Mass Effect 2, Rogue Warrior and playing through Fallout 3 for a second time, I'm afraid I'll get so into it that I'll forsake my newly purchased titles.
    How is Rogue Warrior? I read Marchinko's book by the same title a few years back and really enjoyed it. Then I saw the game on the shelf at Wal Mart. Figured I'd wait until I heard something good about it before picking it up.

Quote Originally Posted by djfriesen View Post
    How is Rogue Warrior? I read Marchinko's book by the same title a few years back and really enjoyed it. Then I saw the game on the shelf at Wal Mart. Figured I'd wait until I heard something good about it before picking it up.
    I haven't gotten very far into it yet. Be prepared for the language and brutal violence though. This isn't a title you want to be playing with the kiddies watching, that's for sure. From the few missions I've played through though, the controls felt very clunky.

I wasn't very inpressed with the graphics. The missions so far have been linear, no room to explore and approach the situation from different angles. Which was a shock for me seeing as how it's a Bethesda title. I need to play it a bit longer but as I mentioned berfore, I bought way too many good games at once. Doh!

IncGamers Member

sounds like a no then. if i need my navy badass fix, i'll go reread the book.

Quote Originally Posted by djfriesen View Post
    sounds like a no then. if i need my navy badass fix, i'll go reread the book.
    Probably a much safer bet, at least until they come down a bit on the price.

STO has been disappointing for me, even moreso since I abandoned my tactical build. He's dead in the water pretty much. This time around I've chosen an engineer, gone through the same crap as the first character and am still not a Lt. Cmdr! So obviously they're listening to the whiners that made it to the end game via exploits and decided to make it even more of a grindfest.

They apparently made the encounters more difficult as well. Now the enemies are ridiculously hard in a lot of missions. I run into squadrons of klingons several levels higher than me all the time now. Wouldn't be so bad if I could pull a couple of them at a time. Being chased down by a battleship and outmanueverd by them is pretty much the last straw for me.

The ground combat is a joke. Why bother with phasers, defense turrets and all the other pew pew pew flashy crap when the enemies just rush you to engage in melee combat. When they do shoot you they're standing nose to nose with you, literally.

I've seen my share of launches and know that things are generally a mess but come on. Once my thirty days are up I'm cancelling my subscription. Maybe I'll check it out a year from now to see if they've gotten their act together. I'll be surprised if it's still going at the current rate.

This game made me realise how much I've missed EVE. That's where I'll be for the next year.

It's done, I couldn't even bring myself to play through the first thirty days of STO.

Last edited by DoW Fanatic; 26-02-2010 at 06:49.