Videogame News
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member TurbulentTurtle's Avatar

Re: Starcraft progaming

Grr... I was quite disappointed by what happened in WL earlier today between Khan and CJ. ZvP imba imo.
    Although relying on Song Byung Goo for PvZ Ace is very sketch, especially considering the calbre of opponent that Kim Jung Woo is.... I was hoping that they had a great snipe hidden in the Khan lineup, like Turn or Chavi or someone, but alas, it was 95% Commander pick anyways.

I was really hoping for Heo Yeong Moo to take the game off of Jung Woo for the Khan win though, his PvZ has been on a tear lately. Good to see the Khan boys are getting back into form after that disastrous Round 1 of PL. They definitely picked up their game in Round 2 though, and I hope it continues.

Also kekeke at Lee Sung Eun 2 near all kills.
    So close to two amazing ceremonies.

Speaking of starcraft, I would describe myself as the polar opposite of these pro-gamers. I just got back into it and am terribad lol. I do feel like I'm getting better, however. I'm going through the campaign mode, just to get a better grasp at the story and figure out which race fits my playstyle the most. Anyone else actually play? I'd love to have some sort of sparring buddy once I can start beating the computer lol.

I play form time to time, I am nowhere near good enough. I just know strategy and build orders, but can only execute about 2 or 3 of them properly.
    I'll be able to follow along with a regular PL/OSL/MSL/whatever game and know what's coming up and which counters would be good, but I just can't play for beans. I have an iCcup account, but I've never played on there before, I think I'd be D- easily.

I play from time to time too. Also sucking. My APM is around 100 on good days.
    I like to watch epic finales but I hardly know anything about it.
    Can you tell me what these PL/ESL/MSL are? Which is the most prestigous tournament in the world and when are the next finals?

I just can't really imagine watching other people play games for entertainment, but that's just me.

I haven't played SC in quite a while, so I'm sure I'm pretty bad atm. I get the bug every couple of years, and to get back up to speed, I go through all the story missions for SC and BW, but by the time I get through with them, I'm kinda burnt back out again! lol! I haven't been on SC bnet in several years. I was pretty good once upon a time though, and could usually take 2-3 other people teamed against me on Bloodbath of BGH, rush or build-up. I got kinda bored with that though and got started on a lot of the specialty maps like Ozubkoj's D&D RPG and Turret Defense. I didn't play in normal SC games very much after that and even tried to make my own scenarios, but never actually finished with anything. I tried to make a single-player RPG campaign re-creating Final Fantasy IV in chapters. I got about halfway through the first chapter, which was intro to ship wreck, and gave up. Then I tried to make a multi-player RPG re-creation of The 7th Saga, but only got through Bonro and Zellis before throwing in the towel. I was just getting bored of SC by then.

Dunno where all that came from, just haven't talked about SC in a long time.

Well, OSL and MSL just finished, so you're going to have to wait another season.

OSL found another sponser really quickly, so Korean Air OSL will be starting very very soon, hoping for another fantastic season. Maybe this is a good omen for the Commander, Korean Air sponser, Birdtoss, Carrier Commander, it has to be a sign. Byung Goo fighting!
    As for MSL sponsors, I don't think they found one yet, we all thought it would be pretty easy with the JD/Flash finals, but after that 3rd match mess up, I can't see it being very good publicity for a huge sponsor like Korean Air.

As for what these are, OSL is the OnGameNet StarLeague, which is considered by many to be the most prestigious individual league. OnGameNet is a broadcasting studio in Korea, and they show this StarLeague on their channel, with large corporation sponsors for each season's league. Past sponsors have been EVER (creating probably the most epic finals ever), Bacchus, Batoo, SKY, Coca Cola, Panasonic, Gillette....

MSL is the MBC StarLeague, which is another individual league. MBC is another broadcasting studio in Korea, which incidentally also sponsors a team (MBC Hero). Actually, I think OGN sponsors, or at least used to, Sparkyz....
    Anyways, not that this StarLeague is any less prestigious, but the group stages are a little different to advance through than the OSL, so I guess in that sense it could be considered easier, but it is by no means a cakewalk. With past winners like Kim Taek Yon, Ma Jae Yoon, Lee Yoon Yeol, and other huge names.
    Past sponsors have been Nate, Reebok, Pepsi, Pringles, UZOO, LG CYON.

PL is the proleague, where teams have matches against each other in Bo7 format. This lasts all year and is usually really intense, because of random snipes, ACE matches, and just the volatility of each match.
    In no way is Proleague not prestigious, since it's an entire team effort, and it doesn't help to have just one S-class player to rely on (Hwaseung Oz, anyone?). Finals for Proleague are usually at the end of the year, or summer time-ish.

ESL is English as a Second Language, and is a course that some foreigners might need to take to familiarize themselves with the English Language.
    It is quite a prestigious course because once you have passed, you are expected to know English at an acceptable level to communicate with future employers and important persons. Past winners are way too numerous to list, but they have all went on to achieve great and fantastic things.

IncGamers Member

I randomly watch a game here or there, but not following it to a huge extent. Anyways, I see it as no different than watching sports game, except SC is more exciting.

True that homeskillet.
    SC gets so damn exciting, I would much rather watch a decent Bo7 series between 2 S-class players or the Proleague playoffs than actually watch a sports playoffs game somewhere, live, court/ice/field/terrain-side seats, for free, with free money raining from the sky.

I was able to catch the last bit of the OSL Ro36 Group B this morning, just in time to see my favourite player destroy HoGiL.
    I keke'd at early pool cheese which was expertly fended off by Stork. 2 lings for 1 probe, Song Bonjwa.
    Also Spire snipe and Reaver madness in game two. HoGiL played some very decent games (after the failed 4/5 pool in game 1, transition to all-in Hydra break, it wasn't a bad attempt, but Stork was way too ahead at that point), but he was outclassed.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by TurbulentTurtle View Post
    Wow, I did not expect that outcome. What a crazy game 3 too, this pretty much proves the fact that Lee Young Ho is the Ultimate Weapon. Even though he lost that game by KESPA decision, I feel it was the right call.
    Jaedong was going on 5 gas and getting his 6th up right before the blackout, and Flash was only then getting his 3rd base, when his main and his natural were getting mined out. I'm happy as hell for Jaedong though, especially since I was rooting for him :P

Flash is a macro machine though. Damn, it was like every time Jaedong defended his 3rd, Flash would have another control group and a half of MnM ready to take the 3rd down again. I thought the 4 o' clock base that JD was getting at the time was going to get demolished, but damn that was some great control.
    I felt that Flash needed to manage his vessels a bit more though, considering they were flying ahead of his MnM way too often, thereby getting them scourged kinda easily by JD.

Great match though.
    It was a very intense final pitty on the lackluster game 4 tho.
    And the KESPA judges made the right call.

At the start of that game if i had to make a prediction i'd say it was a 70-75% flash game, consideing mainly the pro terran map.
    But at the time of the blackout JD was far ahead having maybe a 80% win or so.
    As he stoped the attack on JD's expansion giving him time to build up more ultras/lings with his supperior econ.

BUT i guess i understand that Flash fansn where upset as generaly judge calls resulted in rematches before.

Last edited by Flax; 17-02-2010 at 21:43.