Videogame News
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fave RPG?

Re: Fave RPG?

Diablo I + II:Lod
    Infinity Engine games (Baldur's gate I + II, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment..)
    MM7(Best)
    Vampire The Masquerade
    Ultima Online (Best MMO EVER!!111!!!!1!!XD)

My top 5 single player RPGs:

1. Baldur's Gate 2

Not really close.

It was Bioware's last great game. Since then they make those slideshows that masquerade as games with wonderful stories. Most overrated company in the industry now (From a gameplay perspective not as a business at which they are fantastic).

2. Might and Magic VI.

This game was my first real RPG and I've spent the last 12 years trying to find something that equals it in terms of how much fun I had with it (aside from BG2). Its easily one of my top 5-10 favorite or most important games of all time in terms of enjoyment garnered and making me all in love with games. Only something as good as BG2 could have supplanted this game for me. I understand how that being a complete RPG newb colored my opinion of this, just as new players are "blown away" by Bio-wares tripe now because they don't know any better.

3. Deus Ex.

4. System Shock 2

5. Elder Scrolls Games.
    I love the games without ever really thinking any of them were home runs. Morrowind was better than Oblivion for me, but Oblivion had better pieces. When you make Morrowind look as pretty as you can in 2010, Oblivion is revealed to be a "consoled" rpg far more so than Morrowind. I think if you mixed 60 percent Morrowind, 30 percent Oblivion and 10 percent Daggerfall, you'd have the greatest first person rpg ever made. But, the console industry had really hurt gaming for people that loved how it used to be. You can dumb games down too far. Within 2 generations, Elder scrolls games will have like 2 weapon options and the series will be finished for serious gamers.

My top three:

1. Final Fantasy 7: this was the first RPG I ever played, and it totally hooked me on the genre. I think I was in elementary school when I first played it and since then have completed the game several times, each time becoming more and more ridiculously overpowered before I proceeded to the next area. By the tenth playthrough, I was killing that scorpion boss in the beginning with Meteorain.

2. Chrono Trigger: awesome music score, memorable characters, and a fantastic storyline. The New Game+ feature made it even better for me. The battle system with all the double and triple techs was fun to play around with and see what combos I could come up with.

3. Final Fantasy 6: what it lacks in graphics and shininess it more than makes up for with an awesome cast of characters, a comical villain, and IMO some of the best music of the Final Fantasy series. Admit it...you felt a sense of well-being and pride when the Falcon rises from the sea in the World of Ruin.

Mine would be....

1. FFVI (6) The best rpg in the world. Absolute best in the series.

2. Baldur's gate / Fallout 2 The grandfathers of virtualized D&D

3. World of Warcraft Yes, haters are going to hate. Compressed in one sentence, "Epic journey, only hampered by the n00bz and the casuals in the community."

Honorable mentions: Diablo(s), Deus Ex, Anything LOTR related, Anything SW related, Icewind Dale, Vampire Masquare (spellcheck lulz), TEOS series.

1. Baldurs Gate Series

2. Morrowind + Oblivion

3. Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 10 (Yes, I loved 10!)

4. Legend of Dragoon (even though I never finished it)

5. Chrono Trigger (even though I never finished it.... xD)

Super Nintendo: Shadowrun, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III, Super Mario RPG, Demon's Crest, Tales of Phantasia, Bahamut Lagoon, Seiken Densetsu 3.

PlayStation: Final Fantasy VII, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy IX, Breath of Fire IV, Castlevania SotN.

Computer: Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos, System Shock II, Diablo, Veil of Darkness, Might and Magic VII, Legacy: Realm of Terror, Planescape: Torment, Vampire the Masquerade, The World of Warcraft.

Companies don't make RPGs as they used to...

IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

Sonata--> FINISH CHRONO TRIGGER!!!!

I have no idea what you guys see in FF7. Seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Valhauros View Post
    Super Nintendo: ...Tales of Phantasia, Bahamut Lagoon, Seiken Densetsu 3.
    Oh man, these games are EPIC WIN!!! I can't believe they didn't release them in the US!!

Quote Originally Posted by Valhauros View Post
    Companies don't make RPGs as they used to...
    No they don't. It's a real shame. Well... I dunno, there are a few games that get put out on handhelds that still have to be decent games because they can't rely on the latest hardware to make up for being crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
    Sonata--> FINISH CHRONO TRIGGER!!!!
    +1000000000000000000000000000000000000!!! (...but what to do with Magus? Hmm...)

Quote Originally Posted by nurman View Post
    I have no idea what you guys see in FF7. Seriously
    Silence, knave!!

That said, I have to say I think 4, 6, and FF Tactics were all even better than 7... :grin:

Diablo I, II +LoD
    Icewind Dale II
    Wizardry 8
    Might & Magic IX
    Neverwinter Nights
    Elder Scrolls III
    Baldur's Gate
    Dungeon Siege II
    Fate
    Prince of Persia