Videogame News
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fave RPG?

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar

Re: Fave RPG?

Suikoden was a good series but I never played 2...haha

Off the top of my head, and in no particular order...

Super Mario RPG
    Secret of Mana
    Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross
    Planescape: Torment
    Dragon Warrior 3, 4, 7
    Final Fantasy 4, 6, 7, 8
    Ultima: Quest of the Avatar
    AD&D: Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2

Quote Originally Posted by Orphan
    Illusion of Gaia
    Grrr, I paid $60 for that game when it was brand new. Beat it in less than six hours (one sitting). I felt completely ripped off. Soul Blazer and Terranigma ("sort of" part of the same loose series) were better IMO.

Speaking of Enix games, ActRaiser is one of my favorite games of all time - period. The city-building sim and side-scroll action scenes are both pretty primitive and yet, for its time it was such an innovative game. I would love to see a modern remake.

+1 for Septerra Core, it was one of my first RPGs as well. I loved it, but I was used to the combat of SO and the turn-based thing was too dull for my ADD-wracked brain. I wish I still had my copy, I never did finish that thing.

Oh, I forgot to mention Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader. It's a Diablo clone, but as Diablo clones go it's fairly good. I love the historical aspect of it, you can meet and interact with all sorts of historical figures. I geek out every time I talk to Cortez or da Vinci.

Haha, I remember *almost* buying Illusion of Gaia, but somehow, I accidentally got Secret of Mana(!), which I loved!! I later rented Illusion of Gaia and did not care for it at all. I totally agree, Soulblazer and Terranigma were much better. I always liked Actraiser too, but an Enix game that I always adored (and most people I've known hated) was The 7th Saga! That game just did something for me I can't explain, maybe just being impossibly hard! Heck, a few years ago, I made an entire D2 account full of themed characters from that game! I think it was back when I was on classic.

Let's see:
    Esuna = blizz sorc
    Lejes = fire sorc
    Kamil = zealot
    Olvan = charger
    Valsu = cleric
    Lux = tesladin
    Wilme = frenzy-barb

Fun times!

Quote Originally Posted by KTang View Post
    Breath of Fire! Loved it. Especially 3 I believe.

Illusion of Gaia was sad. Suikoden was great, the one with Duran and Kevin and etc. Boy I loved Snes days...

Runescape was naturally incredibly addictive

KT
    Breath of Fire 3 was certainly one of the better ones (4 drifted down abit, and 5 I refuse to acknowledge), but number 2 would also be the best of the series for me, only because it was the first one I played.

With regards to the Suikoden characters, you sound abit like you're talking about Secret of Mana 2 there (or Seiken Densetsu 3) :P Kevin was the beast character and Duran was the swordsman.

Quote Originally Posted by omgwtfbbqpwned View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Suikoden series too... most people I talk to haven't even heard of it, and give me strange looks when I tell them I spent $100 on Suikoden II.
    Tell me about it. I originally hired the games out to play them from a video shop, but then when I went to purchase them I couldn't find it anywhere. Took months of searching until I finally found a decent copy (and this was a couple of years ago), and now I have 2 copies of Suikoden 1, and 1 copy of Suikoden 2, all in very good condition.

Retrogames currently lists a sell value of $195 AUS for an excellent copy for Suikoden 1 and 2 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    Grrr, I paid $60 for that game when it was brand new. Beat it in less than six hours (one sitting). I felt completely ripped off. Soul Blazer and Terranigma ("sort of" part of the same loose series) were better IMO.
    Doh, I forgot about Terranigma. Loved that game and yes it was definitely better than Illusion of Gaia. I still got the original box and cartridge at home packed away too, though it's probably nowhere near mint condition. As for Illusion of Gaia, I enjoyed it quite abit to be honest I liked the concept of having to juggle different transformations to complete various areas, though of course once you got shadow it didn't make a different anymore. Also the concept of the red gems has stuck with me all this time as well.

Edit: Thinking about it, one thing I loved about the old games is the effort they put into the manuals. It feels like most of the companies these days only send out the bare minimum information, like the old days of Lunar which came complete with maps and stuff.

Last edited by Orphan; 20-11-2009 at 04:58.

Anything touched by BioWare is gold -

Baldur's Gate series
    Icewind Dale series
    Neverwinter Nights series
    KoToR series
    Mass Effect series
    and now Dragon Age series

I find it kind of said, in a way, that WotC and BioWare couldn't get along - hearing all the good things about Dragon Age really makes me wish BioWare had done NWN2. On the other hand, it's literally a whole new world of possibilities now and given their track record, BioWare have a winner on their hands.

I'm the same way, most of my favorites are either from BioWare (the KoToR series, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age looks stellar, maybe for xmas) and Bethesda (Morrowind, Oblivion, the latest Fallout). I think I'm a pretty big fan of the open ended free roaming nature of those Bethesda titles, not too mention the humor (M'aiq the liar) and the easter eggs carrying over across series and games. I suppose dii also goes without saying.

Back in the good old days, I got hooked on Golden Sun, and later Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Golden Sun and it's sequel because they were generally very pretty to be GBA-games, and sure enough they weren't THAT innovative, but they really did it for me back then, probably still would if I wanted to replay replay. (Looking forward to Golden Sun DS? Oh yes.)

Dragon Age is very, very good but I think Mass Effect spoiled me a bit - I find myself extremely disappointed with the fact that the player's character is voiceless.

It was fine when all the characters were text only but now that everyone except from you are heard and seen talking I find it very immersion breaking.

Alltime favorites would probably be the Baldur's Gate series with CT, Mass Effect and FF X somewhere under it...actually hard to say because I want to fit in about 10 more games (mostly older ones) in my top 3

Diablo 1+ 2, planescape: torment and fallout 2, might and magic series until they screwed it up.