Videogame News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Name that Game (please)

1-Can anyone identify this game for Sega (Genesis I think)? You play a barb like guy with a two handed axe in a side scrolling platform rocky primitive area. To block you push down and he kneels with his axe upside down which parries attacks. The currency is silver, which you find in bags IIRC. Anyone know?

2-This next game is an ARCADE game where you are also playing a mostly naked barb guy with a very long, two handed axe. The handle is thin and it swings totally horizontal with a good range. Um...it's been a while, but when you hit a primitive bad guy I think he bounces back and poofs in a circular explosion like what you see in Contra. They drop bage colored pots/jugs IIRC. Um...there might be man-sized boulders that roll toward you but I'm not sure. Primitive setting of course.

3- This one is also an ARCADE game. Man, you've got ot be pretty old to know some of these. This one should be easy to get though because you are wearing a full suit of armor. Whenever you get hit by anything, the piece of armor that got hit flies off and you are naked underneith. Get hit on a naked area and you die.The guy, who is quite big on the screen, keeps walking steadily to the right keeping up the action. The first boss is a female archer who shoots you at different heights and blocks with her bow. There are also rolling cylinder stones in lev 2 that you have to button mash to kill in time, and a mace helps. Now, there are three buttons and the knobby joystick. The buttons attack with low mid and high thrusts, and the joystick only controls where your shield is.

[Feel free to inquire about other mystery games here]

Official Diablo 3 Item Valuer KTang's Avatar

Re: Name that Game (please)

3rd one reminds me of Ghost and Goblins, but I don't recall it being an arcade game :( O r a female boss.

Damn these games are retro. I could name the first one but it doesn't spring to mind.

I've probably played them all via emulators that my brother got into though I played a lot of Golden Axe.

KT

Edit: what was that Wolf game where you changed into a Wolf, and the start had some God talking or something and it had like a greek setting.. -.- Ah googled, Altered Beast!

IncGamers Member

OMFG i love golden axe i think i would play that game non stop for hours on end as i played altered beast

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar

3rd one is almost definitely Ghosts & Goblins/Ghouls & Ghosts

the 2nd one might be Rygar or Golden Axe, which only slightly match up with the weapon you describe but checking them out might jar your memory

I know the genesis games better than the arcade side scrollers of this type since I didn't play them much, but the first one doesn't sound familiar

IncGamers Member

i had golden axe for genesis tho

Can #1 be Conan?

Number 3 sounds kind of like Ghosts and Goblins, but I'm pretty sure it's not. If I remember right, when you got hit in Ghosts and Goblins you lost a life, hence the reputation for being incredibly difficult. In the game he described, it seems that you lose a piece of armor, and if you get hit there again you lose a life. I'm not sure though, this is way before my time.

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pancakeman View Post
    Number 3 sounds kind of like Ghosts and Goblins, but I'm pretty sure it's not. If I remember right, when you got hit in Ghosts and Goblins you lost a life, hence the reputation for being incredibly difficult. In the game he described, it seems that you lose a piece of armor, and if you get hit there again you lose a life. I'm not sure though, this is way before my time.
    you don't remember right

IncGamers Member

Thanks for the help, people, but they are definitely not Gouls n' Ghosts or Golden Axe. Those games a much more popular. I'll go look up Rygar. Number 3 has the hero pretty huge on the screen and he is constantly walking forward. He has many little pieces of plate that come off. But get hit anywhere where you've already been hit, and it shows a splotch of blood and you die.

IncGamers Member

maybe try site like this

http://forums.sega.com/

I use seperate forums for Atari and Amiga games which both have a 'name this game' sub forum and get answers really quick.