Videogame News

Rhythm games (Guitar Hero, etc)

What do you guys feel about rhythm games like Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and so forth?

I tried out DJ Hero at a friend's house today, and i have to same i am really impressed. Its a lot of fun, especially if you play multiplayer with a scratch pad and a guitar. But its a different fun than Guitar Hero, because GH was fun because of the speed and talent, but remember the first time you hit the in-game whammy bar and you were blown away that you can control the music? Its that feeling all over again, being able to edit the music as it plays is a lot of fun. That and the soundtrack is good, i havent heard of a lot of it, but the mash-ups of the songs all sound awesome. But its way too expensive. I want it really bad, but i will wait for it to turn into what Guitar Hero is today ($20 guitar, every game is $20).

Speaking of which, has anyone else gotten tired of Guitar Hero yet? I remember back in the day when GH1 was out for PS2, i would do anything to play it. Once i found out it was coming to 360, i bought it launch day and played GH2 to death. I played that game like no other. GH3 came out and it was a lot of fun, but the set list wasnt as good, although the mechanics got a huge upgrade. Then GH: Aerosmith came out, which was fun but i rented it and had my fun with it. Then GH: World Tour came out, i wasnt as excited for it. They pushed WAY too many GH games out to the point where they just werent fun anymore because a new one would come out every 6 months. Now i am sick of guitar rhythm games, and i blame Guitar Hero. The other instruments and stuff that Rock Band brought along were awesome, but really the only one that was worth it was the drums. But i never had a drum set, so i never got too much of that in, only when i was with friends.

Official Diablo 3 Item Valuer KTang's Avatar

Re: Rhythm games (Guitar Hero, etc)

I play Guitar IRL, Acoustic and Electric, so naturally I was intrigued when GH first game out. It was pretty damn good, and having a sense of rhythm actually helped. Playing guitar only helped minorly in multi tasking but doesn't mean that much, imo.

GH is good, although I never played it a lot, I think it is a damn good game. Its so fun! Competitive too. The drum games in China here are amazing, specially this Taiko one. Damn hard though.

KT

IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

i have tried to play this game, but my fingers can't move separately or whatever (i guess i wouldn't make a good lesbian >.>) (AHHH, JOKE!!! forgive me, im a perv!) and i have to have it on the easiest level. i can barely play. i like to sing. depending on what song, i can hit those notes, lol! and depending on who i am with will i sing. im not a professional, but i don't think im that bad. but im not going to brag, so...

i thought this was a real game. turns out it was a Tejano CD my aunt bought. lol!

album cover.

and turns out that this is an actual game. did a Google image search. there was an actual game of Accordion Hero. LOLZ!!!

I am a GH fiend. I have every one of the games, save for Rock Band 2. I have five-starred every song but Raining Blood and Six (on Guitar, of course), and I still really enjoy playing it now. But you're kind of right, once you've played it enough it just stops being fun. I remember waiting for GH3 to come out and playing the fun right out of GH2, to the point that I can't tolerate any of the songs any more. I like that they've released a bunch in the past year or two, it keeps me from having to play one at a time until the next one, which in turn keeps it a little fresh.

Lately though, I've not had a challenge with any of the GH5 songs (save for Scatterbrain and Done With Everything), so I've been playing drums a lot. I'm starting to get really good at them, to the point that I'm five-starring most of the songs in the game. There are two things holding me back:
    1) I refuse to use practice mode to practice hard sections and
    2) I have a crappy, first-generation Rock Band set that literally cannot keep up with my rolls. If I start going too fast it just ceases to register anymore. I hate it a lot.

I'm somewhat intrigued by DJ Hero, but like you said it is really expensive. Would you recommend it for someone who hates dance/rap/techno music, but enjoys rhythm games?

Pancake, have you bought GH: Metallica? i was listening on the radio a couple of weeks before it came out, the morning show was tlaking about it and they had quoted from some article that even the game testers had a hard time playing it at times. maybe that could fulfill the challenge you seek...

I did indeed get Metallica, and while some of the solos are frightfully difficult, the overwhelming majority of the songs is just strumming green notes in new and (not very) exciting combinations. That being said, the solo of Battery still haunts me.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakeman View Post
    I did indeed get Metallica, and while some of the solos are frightfully difficult, the overwhelming majority of the songs is just strumming green notes in new and (not very) exciting combinations. That being said, the solo of Battery still haunts me.
    really? huh...kinda disappointed now. lol, not really. it's cool.

I say learn how to play a real guitar :P

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBird View Post
    I say learn how to play a real guitar :P
    I think Guitar Hero is a great franchise because it inspires a lot of kids to pick up an instrument or really get into music.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbzilla View Post
    I think Guitar Hero is a great franchise because it inspires a lot of kids to pick up an instrument or really get into music.
    Eh, so far all the people I know that have played/bought GH just become addicts :S