Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor screens are preciousssss15 Aug 2014
Gollum makes a couple of appearances in the latest screens from Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, alongside a list of the game’s achievements.
Three of the shots are mostly just close-ups of characters – with a Black Captain, Gollum, and a joint shot of Talion, Celebrimbor, and Gollum – although a fourth shot shows some typically bloody action, with Celebrimbor and Talion hacking out the throat of a poor Uruk. They’re quite nice, I suppose! Interestingly, Gollum is referred to as being “integral to progressing gameplay,” which makes me wonder if he’s somehow going to be an upgrades vendor or something. Or if he’ll just be there to move the story along. Hmm.
Today also marks the reveal of the game’s achievements, which I’ve posted below against my better judgment. They’re largely what you’d expect, in terms of “Complete all Hunting Challenges”, and “Start a riot by commanding a Warchief to attack another Warchief,” although there are a few fun-looking ones. “After an Uruk kills Talion to become a Captain, help him become a Warchief, then kill him” for instance.
Be wary of any potential spoilers in the achievements list, though, and bear in mind that if these are indeed on the Steam version, they will not offer you any Gamerscore. We’re not Xbox users, guys.
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, which I’m trying hard not to refer to as Assassin’s Creed of the Rings, is due out on 2 October for PC – a few days after the console version. The screenshots are below, followed by the achievements list.
- A Graug’s Heel (10 GP): Capitalize on a Warchief’s fear
- A Mighty Doom (10 GP): Acquire a level 25 rune
- A New Master (15 GP): Brand a Captain while in combat
- And it Burns, Burns, Burns (15 GP): Use the detonate ability to burn 50 Uruks
- Bearer of the Shining Lamp (20 GP): Collect 100 percent of the Ithildin
- Black Celebration (15 GP): Poison a captain at his own feast
- Burning Vengeance (15 GP): Perform an execution on a flaming berserker
- Crowned with Living Light (10 GP): Collect 50 percent of the Ithildin
- Divide and Conquer (15 GP): Eliminate the bodyguards of two Warchiefs, then draw them out and kill them
- Fire of Justice (30 GP): Complete all Urfael Legend Missions
- Fly you fools! (10 GP): Make 20 Uruks flee by dropping Morgai Fly nests
- Height of Despair (10 GP): Use Strike From Above while at least 60 feet above the target
- Iron of Death (10 GP): Issue a Death Threat, and then successfully kill the target
- Jaws of Death (10 GP): Attract caragors with bait five times.
- Legend of Shadow (10 GP): Complete a Dagger Mission and begin growing the legend of Acharn
- Legend of Vengeance (15 GP): Complete a Sword Mission and begin growing the legend of Urfael
- Legend of the Maker (10 GP): Complete a Bow Mission and begin growing the legend of Azkâr
- Liberator (30 GP): Complete all Outcast Rescue Missions
- Lord and Master (10 GP): Brand all five Warchiefs
- Master of the Wilds (20 GP): Complete all Hunting Challenges
- Memories of Eregion (20 GP): Activate all Forge Towers
- No Power in Numbers (10 GP): Help a Captain survive a Recruitment Power Struggle, and then kill him and all his new recruits
- Paid in Blood (20 GP): Unlock four Dagger Rune slots
- Paths of the Dead (20 GP): Collect 25 percent of the Artifacts
- Power Vacuum (10 GP): Kill all five Warchiefs before any Uruk takes their place
- Ranger of Ithilien (20 GP): Complete all Survivalist Challenges
- Repaid in Blood (10 GP): Complete a Vendetta Mission
- Rise and Fall (20 GP): After an Uruk kills Talion to become a Captain, help him become a Warchief, then kill him
- Scout of the Morannon (20 GP): Successfully complete a Survivalist Challenge
- Shadows of the Ancient Past (30 GP): Collect 100 percent of the Artifacts and listen to their memories
- Stinking Rebels (20 GP): Brand five Bodyguards of a Warchief, turning them against him in combat
- Strike True (20 GP): Unlock two Bow Rune slots
- The Cold Light (20 GP): Unlock three Sword Rune slots
- The Free Folk (15 GP): Complete an Outcast Rescue Mission
- The Last Shadow (30 GP): Complete all Acharn Legend Missions
- The Maker’s Bow (30 GP): Complete all Azkâr Legend Missions
- The Spirit of Mordor (20 GP): Start a Riot by commanding a Warchief to attack another Warchief
- The White Rider (15 GP): Liberate 30 slaves in 180 seconds while riding a caragor
- Thrill of the Hunt (20 GP): Successfully complete four Hunting Challenges
- Unleashed (10 GP): Free five caragors from cages
- You Will Obey (20 GP): Make an Uruk yours