The Sims 4 pools and toddlers petition gathers pace

2 Jul 2014  by   Paul Younger
Tweet about this on Twitter6Share on Facebook68Share on Google+0Share on Reddit0
the sims 4 (2)

Where’s the damn pool?

It came as a surprise a few days ago that Maxis (EA) will not be adding toddlers or swimming pools to The Sims 4 and fans were not happy.

In the recent post from the development team highlighting game features as a follow-up to E3, it was revealed that toddlers and swimming pools will not make the cut when the game’s released.

You can see we’ve made some key decisions to focus on new aspects of the game – things like our all new Sims, vibrant neighborhoods, and powerful creative tools – just a to name a few. And while we recognize that some of you will be disappointed that pools and toddlers won’t be available when The Sims 4 Base Game launches in September, you should know that we’re building an incredibly strong foundation that is capable of fulfilling every one of your desires in the years to come. The future of The Sims 4 is bright!

Avid Sims fans were appalled at the news. Surely toddlers play an important part in what is essentially a life sim?

This decision by Maxis sparked heated discussion within the community and eventually a petition was started to get both features included for release. The petition today stands at more than 11,000 signatures and it’s gathering pace.

The removal of these two features feels like SimCity all over again with expected features being removed before release. Many of the SimCity decisions such as no offline mode and small maps did not go down well and  crippled the game at launch.

Maxis did eventually give in and offer an offline mode but the map sizes will never change much to the detriment of the SimCity experience.

While petitions usually have little impact on development decisions, perhaps Maxis will learn from their SimCity mistakes and actually listen to what the community wants and expects to see in The Sims 4. I also wouldn’t be surprised if “removed” features such as swimming pools are added eventually as paid DLC.

If you feel passionate about this pools and toddlers issue then add your name to the petition. Perhaps Maxis will listen eventually.

Honestly, when I saw this was about “pools and toddlers”, I assumed this was going to be some sort of petition to prevent toddlers from falling into pools.

July 2, 2014 at 5:12 pm

when I heard this I had a temper tantrum and went and told my mum

July 2, 2014 at 5:26 pm

no doubt their “cave in” at some point and generously release the toddlers stuff as a extra addon that costs 30 pounds

“If you feel passionate about this pools and toddlers issue ” are you being sarcastic? :D

July 2, 2014 at 5:31 pm

In all seriousness, I’m actually kinda surprised at the lack of pools because they’ve been a staple of The Sims since the very beginning. Particularly with regards to “accidentally” drowning my Sims.

I can live without toddlers (going from baby to child doesn’t bother me too much) but for whatever reason, the removal of pools seems a little weird.

July 2, 2014 at 5:36 pm

true why remove pools it makes no sense, I have a “sinking” feeling about this

July 2, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Another major Maxis sequel fails to make a splash :(

July 2, 2014 at 10:13 pm

okay wtf seriously? i am disappointed because they will not include toddlers & pools. it really would make no sense not to include it because in all the sims games they had to . i was really excited to get this game but now it makes me not wanna get it. jus saying

July 3, 2014 at 5:24 am
  8. -2

I mean it’s not like we do anything productive with the pools except “accidentally” drowning our sims now the toddlers not being there is an issue but we can live with out it not saying it isn’t important just saying we can live with it and I’m pretty sure they may add the pool for an update or paid exspantion pack

July 3, 2014 at 12:35 pm
    1. 0

I largely agree – I just find it slightly odd, insofar as pools have basically been every Sims game yet. Weird as it sounds, they’re kind of a staple of the series. It’s not purchase-breaking for me because frankly I rarely used pools anyway, but it still strikes me as a little odd.

Toddlers, I can sort of understand. I get confused with what life stages are in the game *anyway*, and creating another life stage with models and actions and the like is presumably rather time-consuming.

July 3, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Nah they got it all planned, Sims 4 Pool expansion pack!

July 4, 2014 at 8:24 am

I’m confused, If there are no toddlers does this mean no babies either? Or when your sim gives birth is it a baby for 3 sim days and then magically a child sim who can already walk and talk?? They’re such a huge part, or does your sim just have to adopt? .. no re-production necessary? haha! so many questions. As for pools I’m a little gutted but not as much as the “no toddlers”

July 17, 2014 at 9:13 pm