Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends PC version’s graphic options explored

13 May 2014  by   Peter Parrish
Tweet about this on Twitter13Share on Facebook30Share on Google+0Share on Reddit131

Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition is released today on PC, so let’s have a look at the graphics options it offers. A full review will be forthcoming on IncGamers, but the code only just showed up so I’m still slashing through it. For now, here are some screenshots from the graphics menus and a brief look at how they translate in-game.

Edit: If you’re having problems with loading and/or black screen crashes, try these suggested fixes. Edit 2: As of 26 May this issue should now be patched.

dynasty warriors 8 PC (1)

Pretty straightforward stuff here. Resolution options extended to my monitor’s native setting, and there’s an option for windowed mode if you fancy using that. 16:10 resolutions do not appear to be supported, sadly. 1080p is reportedly the highest resolution available. A pair of V-sync choices are available, and there are quality options for texture filtering and cut-scene movies.

The cut-scenes don’t exactly look amazing when set to “high” though, it has to be said.

dynasty warriors 8 PC (7)

Wrong! They’re weirdos.

Yep, it’s Dynasty Warriors.

It’s also possible to redefine the controls to your liking.

dynasty warriors 8 PC (3)

Oddly, even when using a controller, Dynasty Warriors 8 kept showing the keyboard prompts at the bottom. That’s an amusing reversal of the usual situation with console ports. During the tutorial, it just shows the symbols for each action (like the little horse head for ‘Call Horse’) which is somewhat confusing since you don’t really know what key/button that might be without referring back to the control menu.

Anyway, moving on from the basics we’ve got some slightly more in-depth options to pick from.

dynasty warriors 8 PC (2)

Everything’s a bit greyed out there because it’s defaulting to “high,” but you have options for the following: Characters (how much sword-fodder is on-screen at once,) Fog Distance (draw distance, effectively,) Graphic Detail, Texture Quality, Dynamic Shadows, Shaders and Post Effects.

Here’s how things look in Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition with everything on high, and at 1080p. As you’d hope, I didn’t experience any slow-down from 60fps on this first Wei level using a box with an i3-2100 / 8 GB / 2GB 7870 in it.

dynasty warriors 8 PC (4)

Doing a reasonable job living up to “many” characters on-screen, there.

dynasty warriors 8 PC (6)

Hacking at some hapless swordsmen.

dynasty warriors 8 PC (5)

Seriously, do not pursue him.

As should probably be expected Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition isn’t any kind of graphical powerhouse, but if your hope was for a port that would run at 60fps/1080p (or whatever your native monitor res happens to be) you’ll probably be cheerful enough. Here are a few more screenshots that you can click on to expand if you fancy.

[Edit] I’ve been asked about the stage loading problems Jim Sterling has been suffering from on PC. The Wei campaign has been working fine for me (I’ve played more now,) but not for him. That’s obviously a pretty major concern until the problem is identified. As noted above, this issue should now be patched.

1. Amir

thanks, so conformed to be PS3 port with better res/fps and more detailed characters and more enemies on screen. i’m ok with that.

about the controller, DW7 was the same, they support controllers but partial as the steam page of the game says.

May 13, 2014 at 6:36 am

Has there ever been a time when pursuing Lu Bu was a good idea?

May 13, 2014 at 7:28 am
  3. -22

I played this game years ago, and was like what hell is going on why so many enemies its mad. graphics look pretty poor even for a port, perhaps a injecter could be used?

May 13, 2014 at 1:43 pm

4. Amir

is there a reason you only tested first stage ? according to JimSterling the game is broken. only stage 1 works. is that true ?

May 13, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Good question! For the purposes of getting this graphics options piece up, I only played a couple of stages on the Wei campaign.

I’ve read about the problems Jim Sterling had and while I’ve not run into them myself (yet,) it is a concern. Dynasty Warriors has a bunch of different modes and campaigns so it may be that the stage loading bug is on one I haven’t played yet.

I’ll add an edit to the piece to address this issue.

May 13, 2014 at 5:28 pm

1. ssj4maiko

Didn’t bought the game yet, since I was waiting for reviews. I read that the game models were based on the PS3 version, then I compared the screenshot from this page with the one in the PS3 version, and the models are indeed the same, maybe there are some of the lightning effects of the PS4 version, but if it’s a port of one of the complete versions, it must be the PS Vita version.

Damn it, and I was so interested in the game, even if it meant replaying and doing everything again… But for exactly the same game I already have, it’s too much to bother.

May 13, 2014 at 8:03 pm

It’s not a looker, that’s for sure. If it has worse textures than the PS4 version then that’s a bit rubbish.

May 13, 2014 at 11:50 pm

2. Amir

thanks for the replay

May 14, 2014 at 8:30 am

3. Amir

thanks for the replay

sry for double post

May 14, 2014 at 8:31 am

2. AzumiChan

I played only 1 stage on story mode, sometimes is loading screen freeze, after finish battle try playing 2 stage but can’t load stage. Running on Win 8.1.

May 15, 2014 at 4:39 pm
      1. Hi Azumi – I don’t think there’s a definitive fix for that issue yet, but I have read that some people have found success in Win 8 by setting the Dynasty Warriors 8 .exe (which will be in your Steam folder somewhere) to Windows98 compatibility mode.

I have no idea why that might work, but some have said it does.

May 15, 2014 at 6:01 pm

1. JOnathan

Yes changing it to Windows98 compatibility mode fixed it for me as well. Thanks!

May 18, 2014 at 9:11 am

2. JOnathan

I have the same problem. I was able to play LuBu once, then when I closed the game down and opened it back up, it freezes after I select to play LuBu. It just says loading, and in the Task Manager of Windows 8.1 it says Not Responding. I’ve changed the graphics around, went from Full Screen to Windowed mode and nothing I do can seem to get past this part.

May 18, 2014 at 9:02 am
  5. -1

fyi why do half a job, I seen ports with graphics miles better than this, ok the game might still be fun but never the less, fans of the game deserve better, I mean to me that looks like xbox 360 game at best

May 13, 2014 at 10:59 pm