Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete getting a western PC release

22 Apr 2014  by   Peter Parrish
Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition

How do you do, Lu Bu?

I’m probably one of the few people excited at the prospect of getting another PC version of Dynasty Warriors. It’s a very, very silly game series about whacking famous heroes and commanders from a hyper-stylised version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. That’s … a thing I like to do in videogames. So, it’s great to hear that Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition (and breathe) is heading to US/EU PCs this May.

It had already been confirmed for a Japanese PC release, but just before the Easter weekend Tecmo Koei confirmed that the west would be getting it too. Thanks, Tecmo Koei. Thecmoei.

The amusingly absurd title length is because this version will bundle up Dynasty Warriors 8 with the Xtreme Legends add-on. Apparently this adds a story mode relating to Lu Bu (yesssss) and his allies, new things for “Ambition Mode” (I have no idea) and five new playable characters. So we’ll get all of that, because we’re the PC chosen ones.

Here’s a “new features” trailer that is obviously a bit console-centric, but also includes all the cheesy rock music, spectacular one-liners and magnificent slaying of hundreds of enemies that I’ve come to expect from Dynasty Warriors.

1. -1

Great news,but its late,guys you need to put news quickly

April 22, 2014 at 7:14 pm

We would ordinarily ignore four day old news, but I think people may have missed this over Easter.

April 22, 2014 at 7:36 pm

3. Bobo

Hopefully there will be a setting to determine how many enemies can appear on the screen at once. That was always the downfall in these games. Fighting your way through a group of enemies and 20 more “appear” a few feet behind them.

April 22, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Yeah I fondly remember Dynasty Warriors 4 on PC, co-op was awesome, Lu Bu was an overpowered arsehole (and still is), but it was goood. I would love to see a huge amount of enemies on rendered on screen, especially if it’s multiplayer. I think the devs should really let us go nuts with this, HD textures the works, rather than a port, so I hope Temco Koei is really listening to this.

Weapon upgrading could be improved last time I played DW8, and commands could be implemented to protect units and that crap AI general, but yeah, really pleased to see this come to PC once more. Hopefully they’ll give us Kasumi and Ayane like Warriors Orichi.

April 22, 2014 at 10:12 pm

1. RailTracer

yeah, Lu Bu, i still remember fondly the times he killed me with 2 or 3 hits. Well he is sort of the icon of power of the series, and yes he is always an op as…..
        The thing this game lacks the most imo is the ai, or lack of it, allied and enemies bots are just too simpli programed and this kind of reduce the enjoyability of some of the massive battles where your allies sort of do nothing and enemies sometimes get stuck with a wall.
        still i would really like to see this on pc, gundam series never made it

April 24, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Yeah Gundam was good, I guess Temco need to discover the PC market for this stuff and should test the waters a bit with some full PC versions of these games, maybe Kickstarter it or something.

April 25, 2014 at 10:10 pm

4. Rob

It will be good to play a DW game on the PC will look more stunning in full 1080p and not console limitations. However I dont think much will change with the gameplay, AI, NPC bodies etc. Sure the PC can handle it but its also the games engine too. Sometimes the game engine is just designed to use that many enemies on screen.

April 25, 2014 at 8:44 pm