Age of Mythology: Extended Edition heading to Steam, reveals glove-puppet sheep

1 Mar 2014  by   Peter Parrish
Tweet about this on Twitter15Share on Facebook411Share on Google+1Share on Reddit0
age of mythology

Or maybe it’s a llama? Damn, now my headline is all wrong!

In my perfect version of 2014, all news about games coming to Steam would be delivered by a glove-puppet sheep on Twitch.tv. For now, I’ll settle for Age of Mythology: Extended Edition being revealed with that method.

As spotted by the good folk of NeoGaf, the conclusion of this Age of Empires II: HD Edition developer livestream (skip to the 43 minute mark) was gatecrashed by said puppet sheep. The fluffy antics eventually revealed a splash screen with the words Age of Mythology: Extended Edition and both the Microsoft Studios and Steam logos on it.

There aren’t many more details to report beyond that. Presumably it’ll be the same development team who worked on Age of Empires II: HD Edition. Look out for a full, and probably rather more boring, announcement in the near future.

ageofmythologyextendededition

I approve of puppet sheep. More of this please developers.

March 1, 2014 at 5:57 am

2. JR

I wouldn’t get so excited.

You all need to remember that AOEII HD Edition was released with numerous problems, ranging from performance dips to broken multiplayer.

Most of those issues have been fixed, but multiplayer issues still persist and, judging by this announcement, it is unlikely that they will ever be fixed.

As such, don’t go nuts over AOM making a comeback. If it is anything like how bad AOEII HD was on its release, then you’re better off just sticking with the original. If you buy this day one, you’re giving Microsoft the impression that we want crappy HD re-releases, which simply isn’t good enough for the Age of Empires series.

March 1, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Never tried AOE II HD but I would always advise caution on any game released anyway. Never believe the hype :)

March 1, 2014 at 9:40 pm

I loved the classic but only splashed out on AOEII HD because it was on a Steam deal last year and all my friends were yelling at me damn it.

I hope they’ve fixed the overpowered Korean War Wagons, as my Samurai got slaughtered against them in the classic version. I’m surprised about the many mplayer issues upon AOEII HD’s release.

March 3, 2014 at 1:42 pm

3. MasterOfFreedom

Hey guys, Age of Mythology and Age of Mythology the Titans is still very much alive. RTS-Sanctuary.com and Voobly.com are the places to be for AOM/AOT.

Come join us for a game!

March 3, 2014 at 4:32 am

I just want Rise of Nations. Would somebody please sort out the rights issues and re-release Rise of Nations? That would be lovely. Thanks.

March 3, 2014 at 6:11 am

5. KronoX

Holy “#$%&@ The only fact that imagine for A second that this new version of aom can add some more caracteristics it´s unbelieveble. This game take more than maybe 200hous of my childhood. I ´ll be pendient of this like if it was my cancer. xD

March 24, 2014 at 5:15 am