The Elder Scrolls Online Preview

7 Feb 2014  by   Tim McDonald
Tweet about this on Twitter2Share on Facebook0Share on Google+4Share on Reddit0

I know, I know. It’s bad form to look at a game based on what you want it to be rather than what it is, but with something like The Elder Scrolls Online, I can’t really help it. As a series, The Elder Scrolls isn’t something I play for the lore, setting, or story – while fairly well-formed, it’s not a big draw for me. It’s not a series I play for intense, heart-pounding combat. It’s a series I play for freedom.

It’s a series I play because I can walk from one end of the map to the other, picking up quests along the way; I can wander into a shop and steal everything that’s not nailed down; I can abuse magicka and enchantments to give myself a phenomenal edge and break the game wide open if I really want to. It’s a series I play so that I can explore both the world and the mechanics. None of this, for obvious reasons, is really possible when following the standard MMO template.

Elder Scrolls Online - 09

On the plus side, everything looks rather bloomin’ spectacular.

The Elder Scrolls Online follows the standard MMO template. From what I’ve played it has more freedom than most, but you’re still moving from area to area, completing quests based on their level, and punching monsters in the face. Quest rewards offer you incrementally better gear, although you can also get better stuff from vendors or crafting, if you’d rather do that. As for freedom of movement… well, trying to land on a roof led to me inexplicably slipping off the side. Apparently, Daggerfall denizens have started coating their houses with oil.

There are plenty of nods to standard Elder Scrolls mechanics, of course. Reading books will often increase one of your skills by a point, and you can enchant items and charge them up with soul gems. You can investigate the majority of crates/pots/tables/desks/bookshelves/whatever nearby, which will usually reward you with some sort of junk that you can use for crafting, and will normally fill up your inventory slots (no weight limit here) in about five minutes flat. And, naturally, you’ve got a gargantuan skill tree.

Elder Scrolls Online - 03

Skyshards are hidden around the landscape, and finding three of these nets you a free skill point. If you’re thinking SWTOR’s Datacrons, you’re not far off.

Skills are actually one of the more unique things that The Elder Scrolls Online does. Each class has a variety of skills available – from two-handed weapons, to bows, to magical staves – and each of these has associated skills. Any experience you get feeds into any skill trees currently relevant (if you’ve got a lot of one-handed skills in your quickbar then you’ll get one-handed experience; the same goes for armour types) and levelling up those skill trees lets you both unlock higher-level skills, and morph the ones you currently have. If you’re a Dragonknight, you might have the ability to pull enemies to you with a big fiery chain. When that levels up enough, you can morph it so that it will also taunt the enemy, or so that your next post-chain attack does more damage.

Odd as it might sound, The Elder Scrolls Online is also… um, very console-focused. Your quickbar can support a whopping five abilities, plus one ultimate. Quick-use of items is done via an item wheel. The reason for this – other than “to make it work on consoles” – is that combat also adopts the ability-less hack-and-slash combat of Oblivion and Skyrim. You can attack, or perform a powerful attack, or block, or interrupt, without needing to use abilities (although you’ll have to watch your stamina gauge). There’s not a huge amount of depth to this – if an enemy has white sparkles above them while they’re charging up an attack, you can block it to stun them. If they have red sparkles above them, you want to interrupt it to stun them. Stunning them means more damage on your subsequent attack, and they won’t hit you for a little while. Hooray!

Elder Scrolls Online - 06

Unfortunately, this battle with a werewolf did not result in me contracting lycanthropy, which would’ve been a rather interesting twist. Assuming it wasn’t just part of a quest line, anyway.

If I don’t sound overly enthusiastic, it’s because I’m not. Sorry. This is less an Elder Scrolls MMO, and more a standard MMO with Elder Scrolls elements. It’s not bad at any of this at all, but thus far, nothing within has really managed to capture my attention. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn had a ridiculous amount of choice and stuff to do, insofar as a single character could level up everything; getting bored doing one thing meant I had about a dozen other things to try. The Secret World had unique character-building, fascinating lore, and some thought-provoking quests. World of Warcraft perfected the theme park MMO years ago. The Elder Scrolls Online… well, it’s a largely standard MMO with Elder Scrolls stuff, but not necessarily the stuff that makes The Elder Scrolls series so damn fascinating.

Thus far, the quests are a mixed bag. The quests threading through the main plot – which seems to be about fighting the minions of Molag Bal and trying to reclaim my soul after the cheeky bugger nicked it – afford an amount of choice. Early on I was stranded on an island and needed to find my way off, which resulted in me enlisting the help of a privateer… but only after I’d helped her with a heist. And performing that heist required me to find and recruit at least one other person, with a full three available. Recruiting all three made things a lot easier, and even gave me some additional help in subsequent quests once I got off the island. That, at least, is rather neat, although I have no idea how much the decisions in these quests (and in other quests, like the one in the video that should also be popping up right now) will actually impact future events.

Elder Scrolls Online - 02

A fair few quests offer decisions as to how you want to handle them, although I can’t yet speak of the long-term ramifications of these choices.

There was the quest to free some people held hostage by bandits, which required me to sneak around, disable traps, and wear disguises. There was the quest involving Sheogorath, the Daedric Prince of Madness, which was thematically rather fun even if the quest itself boiled down to “hit these monsters until they fall over.” Then there’s the flipside, which are the quests that revolve around picking up five sparkly bushes or hitting six beasties until they fall over. There are quite a few of these.

The MMO aspects also lead to certain inevitable pros and cons, too. There was the time when I was taking on a slightly-too-hard quest, and wound up helping out – and being helped out – by another player trying the same thing. Then there was the time I was exploring one of the game’s numerous dungeons, and actually getting quite into the combat; I was facing off with multiple foes at once, and I had to block, dodge, and time my attacks properly to survive. Right until the level 30 Orc ran in, one-shotted everything, and left.

Elder Scrolls Online - 10

The standard MMO rule applies here: STAY OUT OF THE FIRE.

Being an MMO, it’s worth noting I’ve had relatively limited playtime and it does appear to be improving the more I play: while the first two areas were small, linear tutorial zones, everything opened up a lot more once I actually hit Daggerfall, which I’m assuming is the hub area for my particular faction. I still daren’t wander too far from areas that are level-appropriate for me, but I’m at least surprised by the occasional NEW QUEST marker popping up on my compass when I decide to go for a stroll in the wilderness. Other than being certain that cities will lead to quests, the game hasn’t really been threading me through the typical level-dependent path, telling me where to go to get my next set of quests. My finding quests, at least, has been pretty much entirely up to me.

I’m going to carry on adventuring in Tamriel for the time being, so my opinions are currently fluid. Like I said above, I’ve not really encountered anything within that’s outright bad – I just haven’t found anything overly unique or interesting, either, and I’m finding it really hard to get particularly enthusiastic or excited, which isn’t a good sign at all. Those who adore The Elder Scrolls for reasons other than the freedom to go anywhere, do anything, and smash the game’s mechanics with the blunt force of min-maxing will likely find this to their liking, and the same goes for those who just want a new MMO to play. But those hoping for something more than a typical MMO – and I feel that’s going to be quite a lot of people – may want to wait for my revised opinions in a future preview before plonking down their money on a pre-order.

Update: Read the second report after a further week of playing and thoughts on PvP.

Watch the IncGamers Plays: The Elder Scrolls Online video

Tweet about this on Twitter2Share on Facebook0Share on Google+4Share on Reddit0

Have you got all our top PC game picks in your Steam library? Follow the IncGamers Curator list.

Asteria

So, more of the same (MMO style but not Elder Scrolls necessarily) but maybe not, maybe more…when you get deeper into the game? Preview part 2 anticipated….please

February 7, 2014 at 6:35 pm

I have been also playing and I am not impressed with it so far. To me it’s the same old formula and the first section which takes you through the tutorial was so dull I wanted to slit my wrists. After making it out of that it was back to Fed Ex quests. I need to play more but with what they are charging for this I would not touch it.

February 7, 2014 at 6:58 pm
    Lazerbeak

Tried to play half an hour ago, no gamepad support wtf!! had run up xpadder and now I cant even log on anyway

February 7, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Gamepad? Really? Would not have been my first control choice for this.

February 7, 2014 at 8:21 pm
        Lazerbeak

just wanted to try it out

February 7, 2014 at 8:26 pm
    Lazerbeak

Can’t log on now queue time keeps increasing, though after reading Tim’s review and Rushter’s comment I’m not sure I’m that bothered

February 7, 2014 at 8:39 pm

It will appeal to some people, just not my thing, even though I love the concept of MMOs. MMOs have become so dull there’s nothing new and exciting in the more recent releases. ESO is falling into that trap as far as I can see.

February 7, 2014 at 9:08 pm
    Lazerbeak

Already found a bug sometimes when you enter a shop/smiting etc you cant leave without relogging

February 7, 2014 at 10:09 pm
    SLowrAM

I had heard it was going to have the traditional MMO pricing model. I wish it would go with a model similar to Guild Wars, otherwise I wonder if it will be a bust from the get go.

February 8, 2014 at 6:17 am

Pricing is a real issue with ESO. It’s damn expensive which I find rather puzzling. Perhaps we’re missing something that Bethesda are keeping quiet about? It’s an odd model and it could really hamper the uptake.

February 8, 2014 at 6:32 am
    Lazerbeak

perhaps they want a small audaince at first then goto a better model later, Ive noticed a hell of a lot of MMOs go free trial after a couple of months, but charge a fortune at the start

February 8, 2014 at 10:20 pm

8. Mello Michaelson

I got the key for latest beta weekend but cannot get in because haven’t gotten my account confirmation email, oh boy this sucs!

Surely not going to pre-order because most likely cannot play the whole darn game.

February 9, 2014 at 4:55 am
    1. Did you try mailing some sort of support email? Not sure if there is one but have a check on the site.

February 9, 2014 at 7:43 am

Hi Mello.

I would try making a new gmail account or something as well. I signed up yesterday and had an email within 5mins. Client took forever to dl & update though.

February 9, 2014 at 3:38 pm
    Lazerbeak

spent of the weekend trying to log on problem is it took so long I kept forgetting about the game did other stuff. One positive thing to say is the community seems quite nice, but is that because its beta?

February 9, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Possibly, I think the hype has partly affected the positiveness, the trailers were also good. I think those who’ve played it a little and said its like Morrowind, will make other players who haven’t played ESO more positive, but once you try it out and haven’t experienced Skyrim or a Korean MMO, I think they’ll start looking at the price before investment to see if its something they really want.

February 9, 2014 at 3:54 pm

I’ve tried out ESO and reckon it’s too much MMO and not enough of what made Skyrim immersive for me. That is the combat, the hair styles (with mods), lore and books.

Some things I didn’t like…

1) The trading was buggy and didn’t work, so I had to mail items to my brother. Which sometimes took forever to arrive.

2) The camera turning speed was way to fast compared to Skyrim’s, so I had to turn that down immediately.

3) No controller support and I can’t play using arrow keys like I do with Skyrim because you need that dodge button and unless you’re an octopus you won’t reach your skills easily when using arrow key style controls.

4) Too much MMO feel and not enough Elder Scrolls feel. The hits have little impact when you use power moves on an enemy. Maybe its’s just numbers or animation but something doesn’t feel right to me.

5) Not enough things to loot, when came across my first house, I took all the food, but I couldn’t perminantly borrow their silver nor books for that matter :(.

6) You can pull a pick axe out of your pockets and start mining but can’t take the enemies armour or weapons.

February 9, 2014 at 3:51 pm
      fsj

Agree on a lot of the points.

1) Yep never got that to work let alone sometimes.

3)I’m a lefty gamer and I had no probs with the arrow keys! I use a mouse button for dodge though.

4) I agree totally. I (unlike most people it seems!) found the combat OK but there isn’t that big impact feel when you hit someone with a charged up hit with a 2h mace, for example. This it’s down to the sound effects maybe? Big hit followed by a little ding noise in the enemy isn’t satisfying.

5) Totally agree on loot. I’d only actually found TWO(!) pieces of armour to wear by level 5. Once I crafted my own it wasn’t a problem. I rarely found upgrades though….

6) Same opinion as 5. Not enough to loot!

Again I seem to be in a minority here but overall I think the game has potential. Unfortunately the usual rule of MMOs coming out half baked will apply here so interested to see how the game will be doing 4-5 months down the line after release.

February 10, 2014 at 4:43 pm

You’ll have to show me your setup as I’m a lefty too but I’ve only got two buttons on my mouse, three if you count pressing the scroll-wheel down.

February 12, 2014 at 8:10 pm
          fsj

Yep can do. Will have to wait till the next test for some of the less common keys as I can’t remember them all but I’ve found a set up which is fairly comfortable. I also got really good at changing the keys because of all the characters I made lol, which reminds me they need to make a feature so that I can import my key bindings from other characters!

Will sort a PM out with them in when the next test goes live!

February 13, 2014 at 1:31 pm
    Lazerbeak

I am prepared to ignore the bugs since its beta, but no controller support when it has a third person mode is daft, your point (4) is spot on you don’t really feel like your fighting, I don’t have the writing skills to express it but something doesn’t feel right like you said. The animation seems very stiff things move weird, theres a weird shimmer around toons. Some of the quests were very silly, one quest a NPC asked me to save someone that was 10 foot away lol.

February 9, 2014 at 5:47 pm
    sorudo

i have played the last 2 beta’s and i find the gameplay lacking, even the basic things i love about skyrim are not in ESO.
    for instance, i love the stealth missions in skyrim, ESO on the other hand makes stealth completely useless.
    and what about dungeons, when you make several players freely in a dungeon it kinda ruins the whole point of a dungeon.
    i can understand a shared dungeon when they are in your team but not in an open world way, they are suppose to be filled with traps and ancient enemies…..not filled with plenty of players and corpses everywhere.

February 13, 2014 at 5:24 pm

13. ITsniper

I was expecting better from Bethesda. To be honest I would have been over the moon if they just did skyrim with multyplayer and left the game with similar mechanics, then just added extra features to work with multiple players. The last thing I want is another wow, guild wars, Star Wars type mmo.

By the looks of things, this isn’t aimed at the fans.

February 13, 2014 at 10:06 pm
  14. You are so cool! I don’t believe I have read anything like that before.
    So wonderful to find somebody with genuine thoughts on this subject.
    Seriously.. many thanks for starting this up. This web
    site is something that’s needed on the internet, someone with a bit of
    originality!