Steam Machines pushed by Newell in short Valve CES conference

7 Jan 2014  by   Paul Younger
Tweet about this on Twitter4Share on Facebook7Share on Google+1Share on Reddit0

Gabe Newell

The Valve CES press conference has just concluded and it was slightly disappointing and extremely short only lasting around 10 minutes.

The purpose of this event was to push the Steam Machines and Valve’s third party partners which were announced earlier today.

Gabe Newell took to the stage and reiterated how successful Steam has been with its 65 million accounts and 6 million simultaneous users. It’s all stuff we’ve heard before and Newell went on to say that Valve’s success and growth can be attributed to the “openness” of the PC platform.

As we saw earlier with the Digital Storm Bolt II Steam Machine, which is a dual boot Steam OS and Windows PC, it may not necessarily come with a Steam controller. Newell confirmed that Steam controllers will be sold separately but they are not ready to share a price for those just yet.

Why did they create the Steam OS and Steam Machines sent out to testers at the end of last year? Newell said that they wanted to focus on three things, the user interface, OS and platform and wanted to prove that a better design was possible.

With their own Steam Machines in the hands of testers, the next phase was to get third party manufacturers in place. According to Newell Valve Steam Machine testers comments have been positive but they’re pushing harder for more feedback.

Newell sounds extremely confident about the Steam Machine and the platform they are nurturing. He took a quick pop at Microsoft and XBox One saying it will take them a while to catch up with their 3 million units sold compared to the 65 million registered Steam users.

Newell’s presence at the Valve conference was to simply push the third-party products and convince us that the Steam Machine is the way forward. It was all rather short and a little disappointing as Newell stressed that any questions should be aimed at the third-party manufacturers in the coming days at CES.

One last thing, Half Life 3 was not announced.

Update: All pricing, designs and specs have now been posted for third-party Steam Machines.

Tweet about this on Twitter4Share on Facebook7Share on Google+1Share on Reddit0

I have to admit I am still not convinced by the Steam Machines. There seems to be such a difference in pricing and specs it just makes the concept appear confusing. The XBox One comparison is not entirely accurate either, free Steam accounts are not the same as Xbox One hardware sales.

January 7, 2014 at 3:27 am

2. duffman7

i hate steam an now they are making a machine what a joke watch out for duplicate transactions you wont be able to use your game lol .

January 7, 2014 at 3:56 am

3. Dirk

Right now a Steam Machine is worse than a Wii-U. When you can actually compete on something other than hype I will take notice. I acknowledge you can make good video games, but making a good video game console type device and the entire ecosystem and infrastructure to support such an endeavor is an unknown.

January 7, 2014 at 3:23 pm

1. Gamingsince75

What? They are not making a console kid. They are making an OS for PC and nothing more. You do understand that PCs have been going online for years now right? I mean in a way I could understand your points if they were actually just now trying to get into gaming but all of your questions have already been answered because they have been doing it for years. A Steam machine is just a normal PC with their OS in it. It’s still going to use all the servers and infrastructure they have had for years now

January 7, 2014 at 10:07 pm

4. Tony

There is nothing “open” about a linux desktop locked down by a proprietary interface running only the games Gabe wants to publish.

Love Steam. Hate SteamOS.

I’ve tried the beta on a MiniITX box. No bigger than an Xbox one but powered by a GTX 780.

There is little in the Linux library that is worth playing.

Steam only covers a 3rd of my gaming. What about my Origin games or games, or my GOG games collection? Are they going to run (and support) WINE?

January 7, 2014 at 10:09 pm

5. Gamingsince75

I think Steam machines will do very well. Its just not something console gamers can wrap their heads around atm. Just look how confused all 3 of the first posters are. One thinks its a console and Valve has no infrastructure the other thinks all PCs should have the same specs cause consoles do. My next PC will probably be a Steam Machine as I can save $100.00 by not having to buy Windows.

January 7, 2014 at 10:11 pm

6. Swifty76

I’m more excited about Half Life 3 than I am a Steam machine. I already have a kick ass PC, which is using a operating system that can do more than gaming and everything surrounding gaming. I’ll be sticking with windows and having my desktop plugged into my TV.

January 13, 2014 at 11:15 pm