SimCity Update 8 released with new regions
Maxis has patched up their city builder as SimCity Update 8 arrives bringing more new content and fixes.
As far as content is concerned, there are now more new regions to build in before the release of the Cities of Tomorrow expansion on 11 November. Two of the maps are “desert themed”, two are “tropical themed” and two of these include multiple Freeway entrances just to make things little more challenging.
The full update notes are below and the game should update automatically next time you login.
You do have to wonder how long tweaking can go on for SimCity with game mechanics such as RCI and happiness, it seems never ending.
Serenity Key – 6 city island region
A tropical island region centered around a long dormant volcano. Each of the three islands has two cities on it, so boats will be vital to trading with your neighbors. The city sites were made flat and easy for players to experiment with MegaTowers, OmegaCo, and The Academy.
Rambling Badlands – 14 city desert region
This desert valley region was created to provide opportunities for our competitive players. There are two clusters of seven cities in this region separated by a natural barrier. Each cluster has a great work that the other cluster can see. Race to complete the great work and show off to your neighbors.
Verdant Jungle – 8 city jungle region:
The jungle meets the sea in this eight city region. A cluster of four cities in the mountains looks down on another cluster of four cities along the coastline. The city sites in this region provide more of a challenge for city builders looking to clear back the jungle.
Desolation – 7 city lake region:
Desolation is a desert region recovering from a nuclear disaster. Most cities will take advantage of the natural desert canyon land beauty. Only an expert mayor should take on the challenge at the bottom of the crater in the Fallout Epicenter city site. New buildings from Cities of Tomorrow should help with this challenge.
- New: Roman Luck Casino – This Roman themed medium-wealth casino comes with additional expansion options including:
- Baccarat Room – The Roman Luck Casino has a Baccarat Room module that allows you to increase the capacity of your casino.
- Concert Hall – Increase your city’s tourist attraction further with an exciting Concert Hall!
- New: Added the option to disable Random Disasters in the Normal game mode.
- Note: Random Disasters are ENABLED by default and can be disabled through the in game options. Players disabling random disasters in pre-existing cities may experience one additional disaster after making the change. This is due to the way disasters are queued within the system. New cities created after disabling random disasters and cities that have experienced the additional disaster should no longer experience further incidents.
- Great Works: Now synchronize across all cities in the region
- Hotels: Now develop only in Commercial zones near Landmarks, Stadiums and casinos.
- New: 3D Zoning, RCI can now build under bridges, the RCI buildings will estimate the appropriate height building and develop according to the space allowed.
- Medium Wealth Happiness: Medium Wealth happiness varies past a rating of 330 depending on how Sims are feeling about the city
- Recycling and Garbage: Trucks now operate 24 hours a day
- Recycling Center: Resource storage capacity has been increased.
- Emergency Services: Fire Department helicopters will more effectively respond to fires if available
- Education: Improvements and balance changes to ensure that buildings won’t go abandoned as fast due to lack of tech or unskilled workers.
- RCI Zoning: RCI rollover effects will no longer persist on roads when zones are not placed in that location. The ghosting zone effect is also resolved.
- Tourism: Tourist specialized cities will now be more effective when used in conjunction with public transit.
- UI: HQ modules’ unlock requirements now display more accurately.
- Tutorial: Mini-tutorial about radiation added to help players in the new city; Fallout Epicenter in the new region; Desolation
- UI: Updated the legend on the radiation map
- UI: Oil under building monthly calculations is now more precise
- Audio: Residential buildings will now play the correct audio when selected.
- Trinity Point: Trees will no longer be affected by minor graphical issues near the coastline.
- Miscellaneous performance improvements