Missed Opportunity? SimCity expansion Cities of Tomorrow fails to expand maps

19 Sep 2013  by   Paul Younger
Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on Facebook1Share on Google+0Share on Reddit0
simcity

In the future, cities will still be really small. Apparently.

The forthcoming Cities of Tomorrow add-on for SimCity will add neon roads, towering, futuristic skyscrapers and a sinister corporation. But what it won’t add are the two things that SimCity players are wanting more than anything else: larger maps, and an offline mode.

According to the concluding part of this IGN video preview, offline play and bigger map sizes have been categorically ruled out for this expansion by Maxis. This seems like a major missed opportunity. Rolling out improved map sizes (for everyone, not just those who buy the DLC,) would have generated some much-needed goodwill for the game along with some positive coverage. Offline mode seems like a simple crowd-pleaser too.

Instead, Cities of Tomorrow makes it seem as if SimCity will simply continue down the same road it has been on since launch; a troubled game hoping to sell piecemeal portions of extra buildings and features, rather than fixing some of the main issues players have with the game. The longer the title goes without maps being expanded, the more likely it appears that Maxis is either unwilling or unable to make that happen.

Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on Facebook1Share on Google+0Share on Reddit0

1. JawaEsteban

If people simply wants an offline mode and bigger maps, then they should play CXL instead. See for yourself how senseless and BORING that game is.

September 19, 2013 at 6:51 pm
      Peter Parrish

I don’t think the large maps and offline mode are the features people find boring about Cities XL.

September 19, 2013 at 7:25 pm

2. Tyler Holm

What Peter said. CXL was boring because it had absolutely no depth. It was boring because the token system was a terrible idea. It was boring because it received no due care from Focus. It was boring because half of the buildings didn’t work in one way or another.

I could keep going on, but I think everyone gets where I’m going. About the only thing CXL did get right was the ability to wander your city with your avatar, and even that was removed. As bad as Simcity is, it will never be as terrible as CXL was.

September 23, 2013 at 10:53 pm

3. DU1WEL

I don’t care about offline mode, tbh the online play is fun.

Bigger maps however should not be …on their “we’re working on it for the future/ it will be done some day” lists it should be priority #1!

Also remove the forced roads I get with my boat/train station and let it snap onto my current roads.

September 30, 2013 at 9:15 am

4. Brad Chino

Absolutely right, I bought the deluxe version and haven’t purchased any of the DLCs I just don’t care. I do care about the fact that even playing normally (non sandbox mode) I can fill up a 6 or 7 city region with wonder in about a week! These borders fill up SO fast…nothing like 4 or 2k.

October 1, 2013 at 4:58 am

5. Bendixwsa

WOW EA!!!! Give us more and more and more sh1t to build….. WE DON\T HAVE SPACE IDIOTS…. HOW ARE YOU NOT UNDERSTANDING THIS… THAT theme park expansion can easily take halve the city, I DONT WANT MY RESIDENTIAL CITY IN A NEIGHBOURING CITY…. WHY? BECUASE I WANT TO CHOOSE WHERE TO PUT IT AND BUILD THE ROADS FOR IT…. AND THE PIPLINES…… AND THE F@#@# POWER LINES>…. WHOEVER MADE THESE CHOICES NEEDS TO DIE FORM RECTAL CANCER…..FIX IT NOW!!!!
    I DONT WANT MORE SHIT TO BUILD…. I WANT SPACE