Creative Assembly releases beta patch for Total War: Rome 2, with notes

5 Sep 2013  by   Peter Parrish
Tweet about this on Twitter2Share on Facebook25Share on Google+0Share on Reddit0
rome total war - 2

FILL MY MOUTH WITH PATCH NOTES.

Update 6 September 15:30 GMT  – Patch 1 has been released. Patch 2 beta coming Monday

Update 10 September – The latest on Patch 2 is that it’s delayed, instead Patch 1.5 (which may fix campaign map lag) has been released to beta.

The first patch for Total War: Rome 2 has crept out a little early. At least, it’s possible to access it early if you opt in for the beta version before its official release tomorrow. If you wish to do that, then right-click on Rome 2 in your Steam library, select “properties,” head over to the “Betas” tab and choose “patch1beta” from the drop-down menu to apply it to your game.

Creative Assembly accompanies this with the usual disclaimers, stating that “you take part in any beta tests at your own risk.”

So, what’s going to be in this first patch? Well, you may be slightly disappointed in the contents because performance and AI issues don’t seem to rank too high in this opening effort. It may be because this one has been worked on prior to release and the developers need more time to address some of the new problems that have cropped up now that the game is “out in the wild,” so to speak.

Here are the patch notes. It’ll be officially released tomorrow (6 September) if you want to wait for that rather than downloading the beta version:

• Higher average frame rates with out-of-the-box settings (more conservative settings)
• Fix for DirectX 10.0 Lighting issue reported – environment map wasn’t being created leading to black reflections.
• Fixed a sunken Samothrace temple complex world wonder on the Campaign map.
• Fixed defender being able to create encampments when involved in a combined battle.
• Added some localisation fixes to audio packs in French, Russian, Italian, German and Spanish.
• Fixed lock up in Multiplayer Campaign battles when a desynchronisation occurs. Players are now notified of the desynchronisation, and the battle ends.
• Fixed Multiplayer Campaign battle “overrun” prompt, which was not being shown to a player if they were a reinforcement and the other player was spectating.
• Fixed corrupt loading screen when changing to fullscreen / windowed mode after a battle, and then going into another battle.
• Fix for Multiplayer Campaign host being unable to move the camera in campaign, after reloading a save game on some rare occasions.
• Safe guards added to prevent a very rare crash in coastal assault battles.
• Fix for game lock up during end turn sequence / Celtic AI faction turn in single player campaign.
• Improved AI use of walls on Athens large settlement battle map.
• Improvements to Auto-resolve balancing in Single Player and Multiplayer Campaign modes.
• Aligned ship unit upkeep costs with land units – made mercenary ships more expensive and non-mercenary ships cheaper.
• Fixed slow turning rates for transport ships.
• Improved civil war balancing in relation to campaign difficulty.
• Fixed vehicle ground pipes, to prevent Siege Towers becoming immovable when they are left empty during the Deployment Phase of a Siege Battle, then units were moved into the Siege Tower when the battle has started.
• Fixed bug when ramming sideways into moving ship, which caused the ramming ship stick to target and strafe along with it in battles.
• Reduced the chance of Naval units sometimes clipping through the ground or harbours / ports during Port Assault battles when attempting to disembark.
• Fixed issue where armies would be stuck in Muster stance and could not exit that stance in Campaign modes.
• Fixed case where spies could get stuck on top of fleets in Campaign modes.
• Fixed rare post battle lockup in Campaign modes.
• Improved unit pathfinding in Barbarian village battle maps (fixed no go zones).
• Fix for Multiplayer Campaign lock up when the player was reinforcing an AI ally who was victorious in battle, causing the player to become stuck with no victory / continue / exit battle user interface functionality.
• Fix for cultural influence bonus from the Shrine of Neptune building
• Fix for “Zone of Controls” of hidden armies being visible to both players in head to head Multiplayer Campaign mode on mouse-over.
• Assorted minor fixes to city battle maps.
• Fix for “Rome Wasn’t Built in a Day” achievement failing to unlock when its requirements were met in some situations.

1. TW-Rome 2 EPIC FAIL

This game is a EPIC FAIL and the death of the series.

September 6, 2013 at 3:39 am

1. Lalyoface

Soo… a bit like the content in your comment ?

September 6, 2013 at 3:19 pm

1. synkk

I would say that the first comment was a little short on argumentation, but it’s true. The graphical issues on high-end computers are just disastrous, the crashes come and go like no other game I’ve seen, and well, the gameplay doesn’t add that much more than the previous Total War.

I was planning on buying it (even pre-ordering), but after I noticed the terrible performance at a friend’s, then read the forums a day later, I decided that it was some money well-kept.

Point made I hope.

September 7, 2013 at 12:55 am

1. Jayras

Actually I managed to fix my game so I can run the game on ultra w/ a gtx 560 ti and amd fx 4100 and get like 40-50fps. I never got a crash in the game before either so this game IMO is one of the best TW games I have played

September 12, 2013 at 2:26 am

2. RomanGod

This game is utter crap, don’t know how the hell they could release the game at the state it is in.

September 6, 2013 at 5:59 am

3. Pretoryan

You 2 above are utter idiots , the game is Good , and it is promising to be amazing , just needs a few tweaks and fixes !

– Please work on the AI turns in the campaign , the wait time is making it unplayable.

September 6, 2013 at 8:36 am

1. billy

How can you say the game is good AND unplayable in the same comment ?

September 6, 2013 at 9:41 am

4. It's not good(yet)

The game is not good and probably won’t be for a while. There are countless bugs and issues with it. Release should have been put off for a while so they could polish up these bugs. It doesn’t need a few tweeks and fixes. It needs a lot more than that. The game is not in an acceptable state.

Don’t say the game is good in one sentence, and then say certain problems make the game unplayable in the other. Contradictions don’t look good.

September 6, 2013 at 9:14 am

5. I paid $90 AUD for a BETA

Simply put, this game should not have been released in its current state, and it’s disgusting that publishers are able to get away with this every single damn time.

Rome II is a game with huge potential, but what they released wasn’t a finished game, it’s a BETA, and we’re the testers.

September 6, 2013 at 9:37 am

1. billy

Im Australian also and got it for under $50 at green man gaming.

Might be worth a look for future titles.

September 6, 2013 at 9:45 am

6. JamesStu

When is this new patch out today? What time?!!?

September 6, 2013 at 1:36 pm

7. edje

So far the game does not touch Shogun 2, which i thought was an excellent game.
    Rome was not patched in a day but it has a hard act to follow!

September 6, 2013 at 3:27 pm

8. Prok

first patch is up on steam now

September 6, 2013 at 3:28 pm

9. Talzanar

Game is going to be good when the issues including the low grade graphics and bugs are ironed out. AI turns do take a absolute age . . . once enabled you are not able to turn it off either -_- Game is over all going to be awesome, just a shame they are following the trend of late . . . . releasing a game while it is simply not ready. Last I checked that is what Alpha/Beta is for.

September 6, 2013 at 3:54 pm

10. Supadoopa

I see there’s no fix for AI invasion ships NOT BEING ABLE TO DOCK and also NOT BEING ABLE TO BE SHOT AT BY ARCHERS ON THE SHORE <50FT AWAY. This is the biggest issue for me, as I've had to autoresolve or completely avoid (by loading a few turns back) some huge battles due to this huge problem. I don't quite understand how this isn't in the top 5 of their priorities…. That said, this game has amazing battles (other than that one), and since its the battles I live for, this game largely delivers.

September 6, 2013 at 6:11 pm

11. Rome2sucksballz

Look at my name. All the info u need.

September 6, 2013 at 7:16 pm

1. Arcanus

You sir, and everyone else who says Rome 2 is bad, are an idiot. Yes the game came out in a bad state, but that dosnt mean its unplayable or not fun. My computer dosnt have a good enough graphics card to be able to run the game, but im still able to play it, with some lag mind you but still play it. The game has been out for less than a week for god’s sake, so give it some time. Stop whining like a 5 year old girl, suck it up, and if you have that big of an issue with it, don’t go around posting on Rome 2 involved websites and just don’t play the game.

September 6, 2013 at 11:04 pm

1. Aqualifc

Are you serious? We purchased a fucking product. A finished product. Why has it become common place that games are released buggy and unfinished? You people shouldn’t accept this horse shit. You are the cancer that is killing gaming.

September 7, 2013 at 12:38 am

1. greatgame

You my friend are the cancer that is killing common sense. Wait for patches to fix issues. You are in a minority and should maybe go outside and have a life before Rome 2 claims your life as it’s own.

September 8, 2013 at 3:32 am

12. Jeroen

This update unabled me to end turn and now its stuck at the Iceni faction. PLEASE HELP!!! Especially caused its at turn 130.

September 6, 2013 at 9:28 pm

13. Jeroen

Also I played on Legendary so their is no earlier save

September 6, 2013 at 9:30 pm

14. ZeTAkE

I can’t even play the damn game!
    It just freezes on the legal screen. It worked the first times I tried it.
    But then I use Alt + F4 just once. And now the damn game won’t start.

September 6, 2013 at 9:44 pm

15. ZeTAkE

I can’t even play the damn game!
    It just freezes on the legal screen. It worked the first times I tried it.
    But then I use Alt + F4 just once. And now the damn game won’t start again.

September 6, 2013 at 9:45 pm

16. Stoogie

I must be one of the lucky ones. Honestly haven’t had any bugs or issues with the game.

Turned the resolution down to boost framerate on Extreme settings, but was still highly playable before hand, just not 100% smooth as I prefer it.

Easily favourite Total War to date (RTW2>RTW>MTW2)

Also loving most of the changes I have noticed aswell, very happy gamer with it at the moment.

But as I have already said, I seem to have lucked out big time to have avoided the bad points.

September 6, 2013 at 11:39 pm

1. Notsurprised

I always found it funny that people always make fun of gamers for being upset and complaining about games and what not.. But honestly, what other product is consistently shipped for purchase in such god awful states? I think they have every right to complain.

The game is currently running like garbage for me as well. I played shogun and high settings and it looked beautiful, but even running this game on it’s lowest settings, where zoomed away the individual characters look like 3 pixels (no joke, that’s what they do on low settings) it still runs HORRIBLY.

So why is it that Shogun 2 can look 10x better and run 10x faster while this game looks 10x worse and runs 10x worse? It’s still in alpha state as far as I’m concerned.

Sure, 2% of people probably went through the proper channels to complain, while 50%+ are on the forums with the community trying to figure out how to fix it on their own. I hate when companies try to throw numbers like that out to cover their own crap products. Be a man and admit it’s in a crap state, then fix it.

Most disappointing purchase of the year for me.

September 7, 2013 at 12:58 am

1. greatgame

Don’t tell me… You’re not using an Nvidia card? Well it’s your fault then isn’t it?

September 8, 2013 at 3:29 am
    Vladeta

WHERE DO I DOWNLOAD THIS PLEASE TELL MEEE????

September 7, 2013 at 11:53 am

1. greatgame

Steam.

September 8, 2013 at 3:27 am

18. Josh

Apart from the campaign map lag, it works fine for me.

September 7, 2013 at 2:39 pm

19. Gunnalol

We purchased a finished product and received a finished product. The game launched with all the promised features, it’s not missing anything so for you to say it’s unfinished is a bit of an exaggeration.
    The game in it’s current state is fine. There’s no way for CA to anticipate the millions of potential PC builds we have, they do the best with what they have, and use information that we provide to fix the issues that arise.

Stop being such an entitled fuckwit. You got exactly what you paid for. The fact that it wasn’t PERFECTLY optimized to fit your machine doesn’t mean you were cheated. Grow up.

September 7, 2013 at 3:49 pm

20. Necromonger

Some people have low standards.
    They keep buying shit as long as mommy pays for it.
    And when people say the truth how horrible state the game is in they get the pitchforks and blame the people who has every damn right to complain about a product that is released in a alpha stage.
    Lets face it this isnt even betaware.

i always download the skidrow version and when i like it, i buy it.
    Never ever again will i spend 50/60 euro for shit games.
    Good games need to sell, bad games need to be punished.

Bye bye Creative assembly, you just lost many many people who would have supported you if you would have waited a month or 2 before releasing your worse product ever.

My rig is decent enough, playing crysis on High with 60 to 50 fps.
    It runs TWR2 on 20 fps in large battles….on medium….
    AI is the most retarded ever, no improvements made here….
    Loading times……oh dear the loading times…..
    AI Campaing movement…..oh dear i can watch a 1 hour fap movie before they are done.
    Horrible graphics……the worse of any total war game.

This studio deserves to be punished balls deep.
    I wait a month or 5 when some cool mods come out by the TWC community, CA sucks ass.

September 7, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I find the amount of bugs and a rush release terrible considering their press conference I went to was farily smooth. Campaign co-op desync is the worst, then you large performance loss compared to others in the series or other games, red skies as well, units not responding when there’s lag in sea battles, fiddly movement through the gates, unable to climb back down seige ladders, floating rocks etc, the list can go on and back again as the gods jam cock in arse. Total War: Rome 2 clearly should have had an open beta test, make that plural before coming out.

This game, whilst trying to build upon predcessors that were good, needs a lot of polish and core fixes, the steam patch was somewhat laughable because the one thing that annoyed me was simply adding a prompt to the desync issue in Friday’s patch rather than fixing it with some proper overtime. Sparta can tell when the game has crashed because it’s not doing fuck all.

2 vs AI local co-op battles worked pretty well despite large performance issues even with lowered graphics and a powerful rig on both ends.

Tax level should be allowed to be set differently at region level rather than by province and then allowing regions to be exempt.

September 7, 2013 at 8:44 pm

22. Meh...it's okay i guess..

yeah, the game is full of bugs, but it did deliver on it’s promises, and i only had one game crashing experience.. speaking of… while playing rome, did anyone crash when the civil war began? and if so, is there a way around that?

September 7, 2013 at 9:51 pm

23. NotAfanboy

Loved all the total war games except this one the game feels old to me like it should have came out 6 years ago graphics are very mediocre basically rome total war 1 with a new map and the same old shitty multiplayer

September 8, 2013 at 12:38 am

24. greatgame

I love the internet!! So much QQ over nothing. No one I know has had problems (12 ppl) How are developers expected to catch specific issues before launching game? I’d love to see the size of the test lab they would have to have to satisfy some the QQ tards here. This game is pretty stonking!

September 8, 2013 at 3:23 am

25. alpha

i can play battles at ultra settings smothly yet when im in campaing map game is laggin like hell..it takes around 2-3 minutes to end the faction scrolling thing.really disapointing since i payed 45 euros for this crap.

September 8, 2013 at 6:58 pm

26. sebestyen

Your life is an epick fail!!

September 9, 2013 at 5:16 pm

27. Curtwood

I have always been a huge Total War fan, and always will be. Rome II is amazing but now that I am around turn 43-48 it keeps crashing no matter what I do. Make lots of multiple saves is my advice, I unfortunately learned that the hard way from previous Total War games. I’m pretty sure the last Rome game kept crashing on me but only after I had almost conquered the entire world. These glitches and crashes certainly are a bitch, but I hope it can be fixed. The potential of this game truly is phenomenal, just wish I could keep playing it… for now I wait until the patch.
    Good luck.