IncGamers Dota 2 guild opens for business

27 Jul 2013  by   Tim McDonald
Tweet about this on Twitter6Share on Facebook0Share on Google+1Share on Reddit0

dota guild Large

Do you want to play Dota 2 with Tim? No, we don’t blame you. But if you want to play it with some other IncGamers regulars, then you’re in the right place.

The IncGamers Dota 2 guild is now open for business. If you want to join, go and send Tim a message (Fyzzu, on Steam, and yes this may require you to add him as a friend) and tell him you’d really like to join the IncGamers Dota 2 guild please please pretty please. And then he’ll try to work out how to actually add you, because he’s a bit new to this and was sort of hoping he could just open it up to the general public by default.

We’re not expecting this to be huge, but it’d be nice if we could get a small collective of friendly, mature Dota 2 players together for some semi-regular sessions, and the ability to open your matchmaking party to your guild should facilitate that nicely.

To that end, we’ve really only got one rule: don’t be a dick. Getting a bit heated is fair enough (I don’t think there’s been a game of Dota 2 yet where someone hasn’t frantically shouted BACK BACK BACK GET BACK GET BACK) but if you’re the sort of person who says things like “omg u suck” or “wtf was that u fkn idiot” then we don’t want you in the guild. Some sarcastic banter is fine and some raised tempers are to be expected, but keep it reasonably civil, please.

If someone in the guild is an arsehole towards you, take a screenshot (done easily enough using the Steam client) and let Tim know.

Other than that, we’re open to everyone. If you’re completely new, that’s fine; don’t expect everyone to be completely enthused if you’ve never played a match before and try to hop right into a public game, but you’ll hopefully be able to find a few people for occasional botmatches and mentoring sessions until you can hold your own. (You may also find our currently-running Beginner’s Guide to Dota 2 to be of some use.) If you’re an old pro, that’s fine too! Especially if you’re patient and willing to share your knowledge with others.

Short version: want to join the IncGamers Dota 2 guild and maybe play the game with a friendly team? If you’re not a dick and have Dota 2 installed (please do not ask for beta keys or for someone to help you get in faster, because the beta is finished and we have no control over Valve’s Dota 2 queue) then just send Fyzzu a message on Steam and ask for access.

Tweet about this on Twitter6Share on Facebook0Share on Google+1Share on Reddit0

Peter Parrish

pls I need beta code for … oh, you already pre-empted this joke. DAMN YOU.

July 27, 2013 at 5:49 pm

2. Samurai Turtle

just added Fyzzu, but the profile is private so I’m unable to send a message

July 27, 2013 at 7:56 pm

3. exmachinax (http://steamcommunity.com/id/exmachinax)

Hello, pretty please add me to the guild, I sent Fyzzu a friend invite on Steam. I’m fairly new, have played all tutorial and have 9 losses and 6 victories :D . Thank you.

July 27, 2013 at 8:38 pm

4. kiroptus

Hey its me! My Steam name is PuRuRu, already sent an friend invite, can I join the guild?

July 27, 2013 at 9:24 pm
    Tim McDonald

Hello! Have accepted all sent friend requests (and I’m assuming that everyone who added me as a friend wants a guild invite) and I’ll be dishing out the invites when possible.

Just did a few experiments and it looks like the guild invite system needs a bit of work – you have to be in Dota 2 when the invite is sent, or the invite will never show up and can’t be accepted. I’ve sent invites to everyone who’s currently on Dota 2 (and I’ll send invites to everyone else whenever I see them on there) but if you don’t get an invite, just send me a message on Steam and I’ll sort it out.

July 27, 2013 at 10:51 pm

6. Samurai Turtle

We lost horribly, but it was fun ^_^

We need more people so we can have 2 teams with skilled and newer players spread out evenly, so join up everyone! :)

July 28, 2013 at 3:59 am

7. kiroptus

Oh it wasnt THAT bad, we certainly gave them some trouble to finish us off, at least that :P

July 28, 2013 at 7:14 am
    Tim McDonald

Yeeeeah, that could’ve gone better, but it *was* fun :) As a first five-player match, though, with people ranging from beginners to old pros… well, it perhaps went a bit better than I expected.

July 28, 2013 at 2:33 pm

9. Samurai Turtle

wonder how we can improve visibility of this.. we need more members..

July 28, 2013 at 11:03 pm
    Tim McDonald

Hooray! We have our first win as an all-guild team in matchmaking. Well done to those involved :)

I suspect members will trickle in bit by bit, as long as I incessantly remind people the guild exists. I had a few more requests today, and there are still some people to whom I need to send invites (but can’t until I see them on Dota 2, as noted in the post above). I suspect we’ll grow, slowly but surely.

And obviously, if any of you have friends who might fit in, you’re welcome to ask them to join too.

July 29, 2013 at 4:23 am

1. kiroptus

It was a comeback as well, they had a pretty higher kill-ratio than we had but in the end we won, pretty good game :)

July 29, 2013 at 5:38 am
        Samurai Turtle

Radiant – Beastmaster, Sniper, Nyx, Lich, Bambi
        Dire (Incgamers :) ) – Luna, Pugna, KotL, Void, Ursa

“Radiant is just waiting for an opening into the Dire Base.. Nyx is scouting them out.. They might not know that Pugna has a Gem.”

“Wait! Nyx is getting wise to it.. Dire is giving chase.. Pugna decrepifies, Nyx pops his Carapace, Luna just waiting for the Carapace to end. Ursa blinks in and uses Sheepstick!! They got Nyx!”

“But Radiant caught up with them from behind! Void is out of position.. Out goes Beastmaster’s Roar, and Enchantress is just making short work of Void!”

“WOAH! What perfect timing! Pugna decrepifies Void at the last second! Enchantress has to switch targets! Chain Frost is released! And Void is still alive due to a timely Mekansm from KotL!”

“Luna and Ursa have now found their way to the frontlines and are wrecking havoc on the Radiant team! Void jumps into the front and manages to cast a perfect Cronosphere right before Sniper snipes at him!

“Luna’s Glaives are destroying what’s left of the Radiant team, just bouncing all over the place inside the Cronosphere!”

“Sniper has Aegis, but with 4 Dire heroes waiting for him, it takes seconds to put him down for good!”

“It’s a full team wipe for the Dire! They’re rushing towards the World Tree! This is GG! No buyouts for the Radiant! GG! What a comeback!”

-bonus points if you read that in Tobiwan’s voice.

July 29, 2013 at 4:18 pm
    fsj

Will get on this later. Will be under the name of Freakshow. Not too worried about winning as long it’s fun!

I’ll warn you now though, every time I take a support hero I condemn the team to a loss cause I suck at it haha.

July 29, 2013 at 9:04 am

12. Titan

Please please pretty please… etc Friend invite already sent to you, Tim.

This is a great idea and I’m hopeful for some dick-free DOTA since I’m a “newb” at it. Kudos to you for taking this on, Tim!

July 29, 2013 at 3:52 pm
    Samurai Turtle

Radiant – Beastmaster, Sniper, Nyx, Lich, Bambi
    Dire (Incgamers :)) – Luna, Pugna, KotL, Void, Ursa

-bonus points if you read that in Tobiwan’s voice.

July 29, 2013 at 4:17 pm
      Samurai Turtle

triple posting.. but can someone delete this ^

July 29, 2013 at 4:19 pm

14. Matthew

This looks awesome! I’ve completed the training (except for the play online part), and I’m going to do a whole bunch of bot matches before I turn up, but I’d love to get in on this. My steam name is midairmatthew.
    Cheers!
    Also, I’m not a dick.

July 30, 2013 at 5:08 am
    Tim McDonald

As a vague update: have accepted all friend requests I’ve been sent, and have been sending out guild invites whenever I see people on Dota 2.

If you still haven’t got an invite, bear in mind both you and I need to be on Dota 2 at the same time for the invite process to actually work. When you get five minutes and are able to log onto Dota 2, just send me a message on Steam and I’ll hop on to throw an invite at you as soon as I can.

July 30, 2013 at 6:16 am

16. Lastdark

I sent you a friend Invite Ill be off and on most of the day. Practicing with bots =)

August 17, 2013 at 5:54 pm

17. Buzz Killington

Hey guys,

I am just starting to play through the tutorial of Dota 2 and I got to admit, I am brutally bad. I mean, sometimes I wonder if I should be playing this game at all.

With that being said, I would like learn to get better and I’ve been reading some guides (Thanks to professor Tim for the help). If you want to add me to steam please do, I am also looking for a good guild to join. Will try to play regular to get better and learn the game a bit more.

Happy Hunting everyone!

Steam account: Buzz Killington

October 5, 2013 at 5:39 am

18. Stikman69

Yo Tim, just added ya on steam buddy. Looking forward to getting together and pwning some peeps! Not new to the game but still in the learning process. Would be nice to have a nice guild to run games with.

October 8, 2013 at 3:35 am
    Kaioty

Hey Tim, sorry to necro this thread but stumbled upon this site looking for information about supports and found your guide there a while ago. Saw this guild and thought I’d check it out, just added you on Steam yesterday. Good stuff you have going on here.

January 31, 2014 at 3:58 am

20. aldoanteater

how to enter a guild?

February 19, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Just send Fyzzu a message on Steam and ask for access.

February 19, 2014 at 7:31 pm