A third Age of Wonders will be upon us later this year6 Feb 2013
Having just looked the information up, I know it’s been over a decade since Age of Wonders II was released into the world. Triumph Studios (also known for the Overlord series) has decided 2013 is a fine time to bring the series back with Age of Wonders III, a “modern reimagining” of the series.
Yep, I get scared when I see that term too. It can either mean helpful, sensible streamlining, or dumbing down. So let’s hope this third title is leaning far more towards the former than the latter. It looks and sounds as if it’s still turn-based, at least.
Apparently, “by introducing unique RPG-inspired classes and specializations, players are able to craft empires of their own design, developing unique strategies and play styles,” and all of this will take place on “sweeping landscapes.”
“The new engine truly reflects the choices players have made by affecting how their realm and units are represented It makes the gameplay on both the strategic and battle maps more immersive than ever, while retaining the gameplay and feel of the previous games, ” says Triumph tech director Arno van Wingerden.
Or, if you’d prefer it in bullet-point form:
- Explore, expand and exploit a living fantasy world. Discover wondrous locations and gather legendary heroes.
- Develop your domain, with many classes having the ability to change terrain and climates to suit your needs.
- All new 3D graphics that provide a crisper and more detailed overview of the world and battle maps.
- New styles of play are possible with the introduction of RPG style leader classes like warlord, theocrat, rogue and sorcerer, along with a wide selection of specializations.
- Command a variety of races. Pick your starting race and shape your people’s destiny using your leader’s unique skills.
- A brand-new tactical battle system renders each battlefield and siege in great detail; new rules include flanking and a massive set of special unit abilities.
- An epic story campaign with two playable factions;. Choose the mighty Commonwealth Empire or join the Court of the High Elves, founded after the reunion of the Dark Elves and Wood Elves.
- Compete online in extensive multiplayer modes and scenarios.
- High replay value through random maps, difficulty modes and tools allowing user created content.
There’s even an announcement video, which you can watch below. Even more details can be found on, including news that the game is scheduled for autumn of 2013.