Star Citizen reaches $4 million in funding – Extra “subscription” rewards unveiled
In the early hours of Saturday morning UK time, Chris Roberts’ Star Citizen managed to reach the $4 million in crowd funding, with over $1.5 million coming in from Kickstarter with around 40 hours still to go.
In other news, they also announced monthly subscriptions with other rewards, the Centurion ($10/month) and Imperator ($20/month) for those that want to support the game on a monthly basis and who may not be able to stump up the full amount on larger pledges now. The subs have also been added for current supporters who want to contribute further each month.
Roberts stresses that the game will never be “pay to win” or have a subscription model. Once you have backed it at whatever level you choose, you get everything in the game just like everyone else. This new subscription system will allow funds to flow and gives some extra non- game related perks.
There has been a little confusion over the Centurion and Imperator subscription additions, and it’s no huge surprise, the text on the Kickstarter page is not that easy to follow, especially if you are already a supporter.
The two extra subscriptions models are as follows.
- The ability to participate in the live monthly team “show and tell.” We will answer twenty questions from subscribers (selected via voting system.) Subscribers will watch the update live as it is being recorded.
- Jump Point, the monthly digital magazine of Star Citizen. A 4-6 page monthly newsletter which includes updates from the team and new in-universe Star Citizen fiction from the writing team.
- Access to “The Vault,” a collection of Star Citizen artwork that would otherwise never be seen, including ‘paths not taken’ discarded concept art for the true collector.
- An exclusive catalog of Star Citizen subscriber merchandise.
- Your name in the game. We can’t tell you where you’ll find it, but if you subscribe for at least 12 months your name will be located somewhere in the Star Citizen world!
- Centurion decal for your ship
- Everything listed above, plus…
- Visit Cloud Imperium and see how the game is made! Imperator-level subscribers will be allowed one visit per year (scheduled in advance) to the Star Citizen development offices in Austin or Los Angeles.
- Three wishes – Chris Roberts will personally reply to three of your questions a year.
- Your name on the wall-of-honor at Cloud Imperium HQ if you subscribe for at least 12 months.
- Jump Point: Year One, a printed collection of Jump Point issues provided to anyone who subscribes for the entire first year of development.
- Imperator decal for your Ship.
Finally, they have also added quite a few add-ons to the RSI website which include:
The Pirate Pack $100
- Add a Drake Interplanetary Cutlass fighter complete with a tractor beam, docking collar and skull-and-crossbones skin to your game! Available only through the end of the pledge campaign.
- Drake Interplanetary Cutlass + Mark IV
- Tractor Beam
- A&R Technologies Docking Collar
Name a Newly Discovered Star System $5000
- Your chance to become part of the Star Citizen world. Name one of five newly discovered star systems. Names must fit the Star Citizen lore, Cloud Imperium reserves the right to refuse inappropriate choices.
False Colors Skin $5
- Raid shipping in style with this silver and red pirate skin featuring a crossed swords clan logo.
Blackbeard Stealth Skin $5
- Let the world know you’re the terror of the space lanes with this skull-and-crossbones on space black pirate skin.