Did Uncharted 3 copy its box art from a 1987 Atari ST game?

16 Jul 2012  by   John Robertson
Tweet about this on Twitter17Share on Facebook13Share on Google+0Share on Reddit0

It looks as though we’ve got a possible case of plagiarism on our hands here! Naughty Dog, have you copied the classic Atari ST and Amiga game Bermuda Project’s box art for Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception?

Just look at the two covers above…

The desert, the crashed plane, the fire, the white shirt, the tan trousers, the haircut… the similarities are… similar.

Of course, I don’t really think that Naughty Dog took inspiration for their 2011 action-adventure game from a title released all the way back in 1987. Still, it’s an interesting look at how game covers haven’t really changed too much in that time.

Have you got all our top PC game picks in your Steam library? Follow the IncGamers Curator list.

1. Xino

lol

but good comparison:)

July 16, 2012 at 4:06 pm

2. DarthDiggler

No they did not. Why is this news?

July 16, 2012 at 3:26 pm

1. Woohoo

Why so serious?

July 16, 2012 at 4:31 pm

1. DarthDiggler

Because this is a waste of your time and mine. I thought I was coming to a site that has game news.

July 16, 2012 at 4:34 pm

3. Jose4

July 16, 2012 at 6:08 pm

1. DarthDiggler

It was a plot years in the making! :)

July 17, 2012 at 3:04 pm

4. Mskeggers

Jesus, guys, calm your shit right down. “Of course, I don’t really think that Naughty Dog took inspiration for their 2011 action-adventure game from a title released all the way back in 1987.” Did you even read that line?

July 16, 2012 at 6:33 pm

1. psyounger

People, don;t read. And yes, come here for news and come here for other stuff too, like observations, reviews, previews, interviews and editorial.

July 16, 2012 at 7:31 pm

5. True Gamer

In possible Uncharted is a 100% original!

July 16, 2012 at 6:41 pm

1. Grammar

Impossible*

July 17, 2012 at 1:38 pm

6. jvl

FUCK U SHIT SITE

July 16, 2012 at 7:44 pm

7. Red Dotter

I feel dumber after reading this article.

July 16, 2012 at 7:52 pm

1. DarthDiggler

I feel you man, don’t you feel that way reading lots of game news now?

July 17, 2012 at 3:04 pm

8. Zalis

All of this snarkiness could’ve been avoided with the following headline:

“Game covers haven’t really changed too much in 25 years”

July 16, 2012 at 7:16 pm

9. Guest

that could be drake’s father on the cover of Atari ST

July 16, 2012 at 7:49 pm

1. Heavenly_King

FRANCIS DRAKE!!! O_O

July 16, 2012 at 9:16 pm

10. Robotattack

The subject matter might not have changed much, but I would say Naughty Dog’s effort is a leap ahead of Chandler Bing on the left.

July 16, 2012 at 8:20 pm

11. Heavenly_King

“Yes they dressed and designed Drake like that since the first game, carried out the same model throughout three installments and made a stage where A plane crashed into the desert so they could justify taking the box art from an Atari game practically no one knows… Indeed”

Exactly my thought

**meanwhile at ND……crap they noticed** XD

July 16, 2012 at 8:34 pm

1. Lemondish

Meanwhile at Activision: “How many more covers of a soldier walking amongst military equipment do you think we can get away with before anyone notices?”

July 17, 2012 at 1:40 pm

12. GoyBoy0848

weird comments on this site. the article is kinda funny, get over it, it’s just a laugh.

July 16, 2012 at 8:37 pm
  13. Maybe if the star triangle was on Uncharted’s then it would make more sense.

July 16, 2012 at 9:35 pm

14. scorpian007

I can’t believe this trash is considered news these days

July 16, 2012 at 10:48 pm
  15. i think the humour of this article was lost in the bermuda triangle…

July 17, 2012 at 12:28 am

1. Djstar

Certainly lost to some people reading here. That’s what happens when you have a stick up your ass, unable to see the humor in anything.

July 17, 2012 at 10:14 pm

16. Burritoidol

Whoever wrote this, please stop pulling things out of your ass. You can’t have a copyright on having both a plane and a man on the cover of a video game.

July 17, 2012 at 4:11 am

1. Lemondish

Or a soldier walking forward with his head tilted down, gun at his side, with several war machines in the background, among them notably a helicopter and an infantry fighting vehicle.

You know, just like every modern warfare game to date.

July 17, 2012 at 1:37 pm

2. DarthDiggler

YES! I have some peers in this audience! Down with shitty game news! Down with shitty misleading headlines!

July 17, 2012 at 3:05 pm

1. GreatGooseberry

I’m not sure this is supposed to be ‘news’. Surely it’s just a bit of fun?

Also, everything in terms of how something is advertised is misleading, it’s the way you draw people in. Whether its a headline, an advert on tv or even the cover of a game box. I don’t see what your problem is with this article in particular. It happens everywhere that’s bothered about getting people in.

July 17, 2012 at 3:25 pm

2. GreatGooseberry

I’m not sure this is supposed to be ‘news’. Surely it’s just a bit of fun?

July 17, 2012 at 3:25 pm

1. psyounger

A sensible comment. Yes it’s a bit of fun.

July 17, 2012 at 3:46 pm

1. DarthDiggler

They have a humor section on N4G I believe.

July 17, 2012 at 8:21 pm

2. Djstar

Whoosh

July 17, 2012 at 10:15 pm

2. DarthDiggler

That certainly isn’t true. I work in business and I can’t mislead my clients they are mostly Government, but even in the Commercial Sector much of running a successful business has to do with how you manage your customer’s expectations.

Case in point is now I know IncGamers isn’t very serious about game news, so I will likely seek out other sources for my news. Just grow tired of this type of Trojan Horse tactics of headlines reading one thing and the article being completely different.

July 17, 2012 at 10:18 pm

1. ax101

show me a game website aimed at games buyers that doesn’t use these sorts of headlines…

gamespot? ign? kotaku? g4?

no… they all do it, just like all news websites aimed at the consumer.

also, I’ve been coming to this site for some time and i find them largely serious about the news and it’s nice that they throw this sort of thing in the mix. personally, i like the variety.

what this site doesn’t need is people like you who can’t take a joke once in a while.

what’s odd is how seriously you’re taking all of this. you clearly come back to check the new comments on this article frequently, yet you complain about how you don’t like the site…

classic case of no one listens to you in real life so you come hear coz you’ve got a (minor) platform.

July 18, 2012 at 12:15 am

2. DarthDiggler

I get an email when someone replies to my comments like everyone else.

Look the headline casts aspersions on Naughty Dog, sure in a joking matter, this would have been great for April 1. I can take a joke, but for starters this isn’t THAT funny. In terms of comedic value it fails and we have already established the journalistic value is nil. :)

Aren’t you sick of crap that passes as game news these days? You aren’t sick of the whining? Headlines designed only to get you to click on them and not necessarily be an introduction to the article (if this keeps up the headlines will be “click here” and the articles will be “Hahahaha Made you look!”).

No not everyone uses shitty headlines.

Like the one commenter said this could have very easily been avoided using a headline like “Video Game Covers Largely Remain Unchanged 20 Years Later”.

So spare me your high horse bullshit.

July 18, 2012 at 8:43 pm

3. ax101

you, sir, have the highest horse here

July 18, 2012 at 9:03 pm

4. DarthDiggler

What because I don’t like being lied to? :P

You are an idiot.

July 18, 2012 at 9:25 pm

17. Guest

There was never ANYTHING original about Uncharted.
    Sony = overhype and underdeliver and only dumbass fanboys like DarthDiggler fall for it every single time.

July 17, 2012 at 5:35 am

1. The real Dirk Diggler

Yeah, too bad he and that other multisite spamming Sony PR bot Jonathan Stoffregen don’t have lives.
      They are totally brainwashed by PlayStation and need to convince themselves why they haven’t bought into the biggest platform failure in history.
      But people like them usually don’t succeed at life anyway so there is no loss.

July 17, 2012 at 6:59 am

1. Lemondish

I think you’re a bit brainwashed yourself, mate. Biggest platform failure in history? I’d label that the Dreamcast. In any case, there are significant failures all around us, even the Vita, but the PS3 stands as a resounding success. Don’t listen to all the bloggers posting about Sony’s recent financial issues as if its the end of the company. They, nor you I suspect, are economists capable of truly grasping the nature of the problem, something that isn’t anything new to major corporations like this, including Microsoft, Apple, Toshiba, Samsung..well, you get the point.

In any case, I don’t see how the PS3 is a failure especially considering the loads of unique and exciting platform exclusive titles gamers have been showered with. Sure, they’re sometimes real niche, but a gamer’s experience at this point in the console cycle would be real limited if they’re going to artificially limit their play experiences. No need to cut off the console that is still pumping out new IP each and every year.

July 17, 2012 at 1:36 pm

1. DarthDiggler

This guy stalks me, I generally have a difference of opinion than the common wisdom. This guy basically heckles me. It’s kind of flattering, I have a little shadow. :) Cute really, maybe I can give him a pet name. Like Spot or Junior.

July 17, 2012 at 2:59 pm

2. DarthDiggler

Look man I am outspoken and I am confident in what I say. You know what the last time I checked it’s a free fucking country so I can say as I please.

Just because I like PS3 and don’t like Xbox doesn’t mean I am a “fan bot” I always make good points and explain myself in an intelligent matter. You can hardly type and probably slobber on your keyboard because you are a fucking loser who gets their kicks by stalking people who don’t like Xbox. Why don’t you get out of your mother’s basement and get a job. Maybe one of these days you too can be a productive member of society.

Your comments are full of so much bile and bias that it is pointless to point out you are completely wrong. On all accounts flat out wrong.

July 17, 2012 at 2:58 pm
        1. and people are free to reply in their own way etc etc ;)

July 18, 2012 at 7:55 pm

2. Lemondish

I disagree, I found the titles really enjoyable. They were like one of those really sweet adventure movies with loads of spectacle and exciting set pieces. The third one started to feel a bit thin, but all in all I’m really happy with this series.

Originality can’t be the only measure for success, considering of course that the vast majority of the top selling and most popular games are sequels.

July 17, 2012 at 1:31 pm

1. Guest

Yeah, Tomb Raider ripoff all the way and now even clones for PC and even the 360 are showing up that look even better.
        And Sony’s going down, that you don’t beleive that is your own shortcomming. If you continue to invest in Sony, you are simply throwing your money away!
        The Dreamcast simply stopped because SEGA couldn’t invest into it anymore as they had very little budget to begin with. Sony had more money at the start of the PS3 (because of the PS1 and PS2, which WERE a success), so the suffering and dying simply takes longer to process. Looking at their stock and company value and their decreasing assets at rapid pace, they should expire in the next 2 years.

July 17, 2012 at 2:15 pm

1. DarthDiggler

@Guest Uncharted borrowed from Indiana Jones the way Tomb Raider borrowed from Indiana Jones, however Uncharted comes much closer to the Indiana Jones experience than Tomb Raider which. Uncharted is the reason Tomb Raider got the reboot (Uncharted simply out classed it on nearly all levels).

Sure we can all say there is nothing new under the sun, so production and execution counts for something. Not saying Lara doesn’t deserve any props, but the reason Uncharted is a real head turner has a lot more to do with Naughty Dog than Core Design / Crystal Dynamics.

July 17, 2012 at 3:04 pm

3. DarthDiggler

@Guest: Sounds like you didn’t play the games. Everyone in the industry gave Uncharted 2 acclaim, so it is you that have the minority opinion. Even some of your sacred Xbox developers had some big ups for Naughty Dog.

If you guys think this is news fine. But I am sick of misleading headlines, poor grammar, poor spelling, over sensationalized stories, stories that are just complaining, whining about DLC, whining about game endings, top 10 lists, news that you heard 2-3 months ago, vapid interviews with no substance, [insert current gamer rage / gamer butt hurt situation here], etc. etc. It’s getting to the point of being predictable.

There is just so much of this going around now there is hardly any real news to read about because everyone editorializes everything to the point that real information about video games is becoming a rare commodity. I understand that the summer is a slow month, but that doesn’t all your articles need to cater to lowest common denominator on N4G.

Zalis has it right… “Game covers haven’t really changed too much in 25 years” would have been a much more appropriate headline and not cast aspersions on Naughty Dog.

July 17, 2012 at 2:54 pm

18. Lemondish

“… the similarities are…similar.”

Brilliant piece of writing there.

July 17, 2012 at 1:28 pm

1. DarthDiggler

HAHAHAHA :)

July 17, 2012 at 3:06 pm

1. Robert

You’re such a faggot, it’s almost cute.

July 17, 2012 at 8:58 pm

2. Robert

You’re such a faggot, it’s almost cute.

July 17, 2012 at 8:58 pm
  19. ITT: retard posts any story no matter how farfetched to get hits

July 17, 2012 at 1:55 pm

20. KittyCrusader

Is that the Indiana Jones font on the Bermuda Triangle cover? I mean the gradients are inverted, but really now! We might as well fuss about that too :p

August 6, 2012 at 6:50 pm